“For $161, I expected something more...”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Sterling
Reviewed June 27, 2014

With AAA discount, our room after taxes was just slightly over $161. In my book, and out here in the West, that's pricey!! Especially since their outdoor pool was drained, their location too far from the only dining opportunities, the chairs in the breakfast room were rock hard and uncomfortable (the food, however, great!), and their toilets and sinks too low! Yes, you read that correctly! When I sat on the toilet the first time, it was so low, I thought I was falling into the bowl! I was all ready to curse hubby for leaving the seat up - when YIKES! I landed on the toilet seat! But at 5'nothing, that seat was a real drop! When I mentioned it to Hubby, he said the same thing happened to him! So - BEWARE - tall folks - Do some preparatory squats before going to this hotel!! The same goes for the bathroom sink and counter. I had to bend over to wash my hands!
The room was clean, the bed very comfortable - and I really liked our private ground-floor patio and door that opens out to it. The entire hotel is NON-smoking, which is something we look for.

Room Tip: Don't forget to practice those squats!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Sundowner06108, General Manager at Best Western Sundowner, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

Dear TripAdvisor Listing Owner,

Thank you for taking the time to write a management response on TripAdvisor. Unfortunately, we cannot publish your response because it does not meet the following guideline(s):

*Non-commercial No promotional material of any kind, including URLs that are irrelevant to the review in question. We reserve the right to reject any URL.

Please consider resubmitting a response which meets our posting criteria using the management response form on our site. Please let us know if you have further concerns.

Best regards,
Location: Sterling
Title: Owner response
ID#: 213119835

Dear Jan,
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property. I'm glad that you enjoyed our breakfast selections. We realize the rates in our area are somewhat higher than other areas due to our lack of available rooms. We appreciate that you chose to spend your money with us. Rates can be lower when booking in advance as our rates are based on occupancy and are the highest when we are full. Also, there are some online options, available on the Best Western website. These are prepaid and have more strict cancellation rules, but you can save some money that way. Again, we appreciate that you chose to stay with us and hope you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience.
If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 970-522-6265.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Sundowner

Reviewed June 17, 2014

A 1800 mile road trip brought me through Sterling Colorado late one evening and, after consulting Trip Advisor reviews, I booked a room at Best Western Sundowner. Great place to stay! The hotel is smoke free and the rooms are quiet, spacious and clean. It is located just off the interstate. The staff member, even during the late evening hours, was friendly and accommodating. She even found me a room on the ground floor! I travel with my well mannered medium sized dog who was provided a treat at check-in. Note to those travelers whose co-pilot has 4 legs, there is an excellent park right behind the hotel-part of the Overland Trail Museum. The Museum looks like it would be worth a look too but my travels required leaving before the Museum was open.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms have access both from the parking area as well as through the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Sundowner06108, General Manager at Best Western Sundowner, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

Dear Patrice,

Thank you for the super review, and thank you for taking the time to write such an extensive review. I'm glad that my staff treated you well and your four-legged travel companion is always welcome with us. Hopefully you get a chance to come back through - the Overland Trail Museum is definitely worth a visit!

Thank you!

Reviewed June 7, 2014

The Sundowner was a nice hotel that was conveniently located, close to major roads. The bed was very comfortable. Room was clean and well maintained. The breakfast bar was included and was just average. The price was slightly high but judging by other hotels in the area, it was the better choice.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Sundowner06108, General Manager at Best Western Sundowner, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We appreciate all of your wonderful comments. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you've taken the time to tell us about your experience. It is feedback such as this that allows us to continually find ways to improve so that we can deliver better service. Thank you again for your feedback!

Reviewed June 2, 2014

If you find yourself needing lodging in Sterling, CO, I would highly recommend a stay at the Best Western. The facility is very clean and modern. The guest rooms are very cozy and comfortable. The staff is friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Sundowner06108, General Manager at Best Western Sundowner, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2014

Thank you for staying at the Best Western Sundowner. I'm glad you liked our new rooms, and myself and my staff would love to see you again!

Reviewed May 31, 2014

We stayed there for our wedding. The room as gorgeous. Internet was very fast.The hotel itself was very nice. Staff was helpful and courteous. Would definitely stay there again. Would also recommend this hotel to anyone who stays in Sterling, CO

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for recommending our hotel! We appreciate your positive comments and hope you can stay with us again soon. Thanks again,

Genera Manager

Reviewed May 26, 2014

The hotel was renovated after flooding last year. I stayed on the 2nd floor, my room was nicely remodeled and looked nothing like the outdated photos online. The morning breakfast was very nice and had a variety of hot and cold choices. The fresh baked cookies in the afternoon were a nice treat along with the tea selection available 24 hours. The workout area was newly remodeled and had new aerobic equipment.
Draw backs, the outdoor pool was closed and the hot tub is no longer working. They do have an indoor pool, but was very cool. I stayed in Room 207 the walls are thin! The room next door was the staff linen closet, bonus but on the opposite side of the room I could hear the children next door and then on the 3rd wall was a connecting door to a different room. That room had the balcony while my room had none. The room faced the side of the pool so quiet except for my neighbors, but no road noise. I could hear my neighbor's TV until 2:30am, however a very stern knock on his door and a yell to turn down his TV and problem solved. Thank goodness he only stayed 1 night. The TV was odd it kept turning off automatically I still don't know what buttons I hit to make it stay on.
I felt very safe staying at this hotel by myself.

Room Tip: Rooms facing on the opposite side of the pool could be louder because there is a gas station and lot...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo

Thank you for your response. We are working on some updated photos to go online so everyone can see what we have to offer. I'm glad you enjoyed your breakfast! We are working on some issues with our outdoor pool and hope to have it opened soon...

Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

I've stayed here several times. Alone with my wife, with my kids, etc. It's always clean, comfortable, quiet. It is always surprising to have such a nice place out in basically the middle of nowhere. I'd recommend it. The breakfast is nice. The staff is always very friendly.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your awesome review. I'm so glad that you've had great experiences with us - and that my staff has treated you well. Thanks again,