“Reasonable place to stay in a high-rent district”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Steamboat Springs
Reviewed September 2, 2013

This Quality Inn was so much better in all respects than our previous stay at a QI in Ohio. It wasn't perfect, but the staff were very friendly, the two rooms were clean and bright, the location was perfect, the price was excellent, and they even let our two Ball Pythons stay in the room (in their cage, of course) at no extra charge. Talk about going the extra mile!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Larry W, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

The Quality Inn and Suites is dedicated to provide excellent guest services at a reasonable price in our market. That is our mission statement.
Sounds like we hit our goal with you. We hope we can make it with all of our guests.
Having dedicated Pet Rooms and going the "Extra Mile" with our services, are just a few examples of what we are trying to accomplish here.
Thank you. Please come again.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Mike was great! Mikki, (the front office manager), on the other hand was not! We were in on a friends and family rate and there were still better choices then the Quality Inn. Upon our arrival, Mike was helping us at the front desk. Everytime he began to speak to us Mikki would interupt with things such as: "Mike.... Do you need dollar bills?" She was there all morning and didn't know what was in her cash drawer?! There were other things she interupted Mike with. We were charged a pet fee which was fine, no problem at all. We knew about it. We manage a different hotel and pet fees are non-taxable income. Why were we charged tax? The next day I walked passed Mikki on several occasions and I would smile and she did not even acknowledge me. Two other employees were in the lobby and they both said Good Morniing. Also, every housekeeper I walked by said, "Hi" or "Good Morning"
Upon check out, I noticed that I had over paid by $3.60. When asking Mikki about the $3.60 she said, "oh, I zeroed that out!". WHAT?! Granted it was only $3.60 but it's the point that I had to bring it up to her. She should have said something to me, not tried to keep it without saying anything! Our room smelled like cat urine. We did not say anything because we were so frustrated.
There was also no shower curtian upon C/I which Mike took care of very quickly.
The rooms and bathrooms were somewhat small. Again, better choices then the Quality Inn. Our last night in Steamboat Springs we decided to stay someplace else where the rooms were bigger and the rate was the same.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

"Better choices for the money vs being the best choice for the money"--sounds like we let you down. For that we appologize. In looking at your visit it appears that one of our guest service staff was too busy trying to do things right that she missed the importance of "doing the right thing" for the customer. We understand and immediately made a correction. We hope we now have made it right with you. The small amount of monitary difference was immediately returned to you, and we know it was the principle of the matter and not the accounting. We hope that you give us the opprtunity to show you that we now all have the right guest service attitude and ability to do the rigt by our guests all the time. (by the way, we figured out that the odor was comming from an evergreen outside your window--it has been treated--odd but true)
Please let us know how we can be of further servicehopefully for your next visit.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

The room was what you'd expect with this brand: clean, spacious, fairly up to date. The best aspect though was that everyone, from the front desk to the cleaning personnel to the breakfast attendant, said hello and smiled. The front desk was very helpful regarding events and things to do in town.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Everone Friendly!
Sounds simple, and its something we work on everday. If and when we take that for granted; that is when we offer less than we are capable of. Its kind of like how relationships work.
We promise to "stay friendly, my friend."
Thank you for noticing and please come back again.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Room Date: August 8-9, 2013, Room 220

For a AAA room rate of $98 plus taxes, the check-in was easy, the room was a decent size, the room was clean, sheets were clean, bathroom was clean and even had a nice size LCD TV. The cleaning staff did a nice job with the room. Morning breakfast was included in the room rate and the menu had the basic breakfast offerings.

Overall, we would stay there again.

P.S. I know the bed taxes have nothing to do with the Quality Inn but the bill receipt shows 5 itemized line items for bed taxes. State, City and Occupancy taxs are detailed on the bill, but the "Sales.Miscel" tax and the "Other Tax" is vague. Be nice to know where these monies are going towards.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Everyone wants to be "nice and fancy"; but we can live with "nice and basic."
As long as we continue to approach our basic mission of providing great guset service at a reasonable price-in our market--we are doing the right things.
It was nice of you to take the time to send us you thoughtful and kind comments.
We hope to see you again here soon.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

On a recent trip through Colorado My daughter, My Dog, and I spent a Wednesday night here. Upon arrival we told the desk clerk we wanted a room for myself, my daughter, and my 10 lb poodle. We were told that the only room left was a King Suite and that although it was usually available at $ 175 we could negotiate the rate. I offered $ 125 and we signed the usual paperwork initialing the rate. Later the clerk saw us with Badger (the Dog) and expressed surprise. I reminded him that we told him about the dog at check in but I would be happy to sign the usual pet form for him. In the morning (up early - more on that below) I was shocked to see a bill for $ 204 including the (not unexpected) $ 15 pet fee and a $ 60 penalty charge for "Violating Quality Inn's Pet Policy". The first Clerk I spoke to about this informed me that the desk manager has specifically requested this charge be added and the she would be in a 7 am. Upon speaking with her she completely disregarded my claim that I had told the night clerk about the dog, disregarded receipts I had from previous stays indicating that I had declared my pet (and paid the charges) , interrogated my 12 year old daughter about the check in, at one point - strongly implying that she was a liar (!??!?!) and eventually and very grudgingly offered to reduce the penalty fee to $ 30. I found this unacceptable and we left. Naturally I will be reporting this horrific behavior / customer service to Choice Hotels, the owners of the franchise, and will follow up with Trip Advisor about their awards (completely undeserved I.M.H.O.) for this hotel. To say that the whole staff needs to spend 2 weeks at some sort of Customer Service Boot Camp for serial offenders would be an understatement.

As to why we up so early, it turns out that Suite 200 is right above the lobby. As suites go the kitchen was rather spacious, the rooms clean enough, and discounting the large HVAC duct next to the dining room table, acceptable. I didn't turn on the jets in the Spa Tub (use at own risk). Unfortunately the walls are thin and the lobby echoes sounds rather a LOT. As such it is noisy and you WON'T need an ALARM for the next morning. I got to wake up to the sweet sounds of buckets dropping and the best in Soft Rock . . . " You Are So Beautiful . . . To MEEEEEEE. . . . (Not at 5:30 am - you stupid So & So ). Ah well the sooner we left the better.

SOOOO

DON'T STAY HERE!! (Read the negative reviews carefully - They're nice enough when everything goes well - But as soon as a problem comes up it's your fault and they will go out of their way to make you miserable). But if you DO - Don't pay for Suite 200 !

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank KGHofSF
Larry W, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

"Outstanding Service and a great Deal!"
or
" What we could have done differently (in a difficult situation) to receive an Excellent review."

As the Manager, the responsability of providing excellent guest service, ultimately falls on my shoulders. Until now, we were doing pretty good in this area. So what went wrong?

Situation: Guest checks into hotel (2 room suite, last room available, 30% discount, room is not a Pet room, hotel is sold out). Later, Desk Agent becoms aware that guests have a dog.
At that point things went downhill. Its apparent that we did not communicate clearly.
In a perfect service world, the conversation at check-in should have been: "You have a pet. I'm sorry, but all of our pet rooms are already taken. May I call, for you, similar hotels in our area that are might have pet rooms available?"
After we understood that you had a dog, given the situation, we should have explained the pet charge for cleaning the suite along with the pet fee and offered to reduce or eliminate the charge in case there was any misunderstanding on our part. We did not communicate. When the charge was questioned at check-out, we should have listened better instead of looking for fault. If we had, we would have learned that the cleaning charge was not explained in advance to the guest. We missed another opportunity. Instead, we ended up with an unhappy guest.
We failed to communicate effectively at several opportunities. Here is our chance---
Just wanted you to know. That morning, before seeing your review, as soon as we realized our error, we reversed the cleaning fee.
Additionally, even though there was never any mention of lobby noise disturbing your morning in the suite until now, we have fully refunded all of the charges from your stay .
We are truely sorry for the miscommunication and lack of aparent concern on our part. That is not who we are and not what we want to be. Please allow us the opportunity to serve you better in the future..

Reviewed August 1, 2013

This is an average hotel. It's clean and friendly, but nothing special. The pool was clean and nice, but a little on the chilly side. The breakfast was decent. Overall, it is a nice property for a cheap (by Steamboat standards) place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Larry W, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

We are please that you found us "Clean, Friendly and Economical". Since our goal is to be the Best Value in our market in Steamboat, it sounds like we have approached the mark. We also want to be somewhat "Special" and we intend to keep working toward that direction. We hope you return and let us know how we have progressed. Thanks again.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

This is an older property but well kept. rooms were clean and the beds were comfy. Breakfast was average hotel fare, but it was filling and free. A good value for a resort town. Very good front desk clerk,friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Larry W, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. An important word for us is "Value". Our mission statement includes" being thebest value in Steamboat in our market".
Thanks for noticing.
Hope to see you again in Steamboat.