“Abysmal Custormer Service & A Noisy Suite to Boot”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Steamboat Springs
Reviewed August 3, 2013

On a recent trip through Colorado My daughter, My Dog, and I spent a Wednesday night here. Upon arrival we told the desk clerk we wanted a room for myself, my daughter, and my 10 lb poodle. We were told that the only room left was a King Suite and that although it was usually available at $ 175 we could negotiate the rate. I offered $ 125 and we signed the usual paperwork initialing the rate. Later the clerk saw us with Badger (the Dog) and expressed surprise. I reminded him that we told him about the dog at check in but I would be happy to sign the usual pet form for him. In the morning (up early - more on that below) I was shocked to see a bill for $ 204 including the (not unexpected) $ 15 pet fee and a $ 60 penalty charge for "Violating Quality Inn's Pet Policy". The first Clerk I spoke to about this informed me that the desk manager has specifically requested this charge be added and the she would be in a 7 am. Upon speaking with her she completely disregarded my claim that I had told the night clerk about the dog, disregarded receipts I had from previous stays indicating that I had declared my pet (and paid the charges) , interrogated my 12 year old daughter about the check in, at one point - strongly implying that she was a liar (!??!?!) and eventually and very grudgingly offered to reduce the penalty fee to $ 30. I found this unacceptable and we left. Naturally I will be reporting this horrific behavior / customer service to Choice Hotels, the owners of the franchise, and will follow up with Trip Advisor about their awards (completely undeserved I.M.H.O.) for this hotel. To say that the whole staff needs to spend 2 weeks at some sort of Customer Service Boot Camp for serial offenders would be an understatement.

As to why we up so early, it turns out that Suite 200 is right above the lobby. As suites go the kitchen was rather spacious, the rooms clean enough, and discounting the large HVAC duct next to the dining room table, acceptable. I didn't turn on the jets in the Spa Tub (use at own risk). Unfortunately the walls are thin and the lobby echoes sounds rather a LOT. As such it is noisy and you WON'T need an ALARM for the next morning. I got to wake up to the sweet sounds of buckets dropping and the best in Soft Rock . . . " You Are So Beautiful . . . To MEEEEEEE. . . . (Not at 5:30 am - you stupid So & So ). Ah well the sooner we left the better.

SOOOO

DON'T STAY HERE!! (Read the negative reviews carefully - They're nice enough when everything goes well - But as soon as a problem comes up it's your fault and they will go out of their way to make you miserable). But if you DO - Don't pay for Suite 200 !

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank KGHofSF
Larry W, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

"Outstanding Service and a great Deal!"
or
" What we could have done differently (in a difficult situation) to receive an Excellent review."

As the Manager, the responsability of providing excellent guest service, ultimately falls on my shoulders. Until now, we were doing pretty good in this area. So what went wrong?

Situation: Guest checks into hotel (2 room suite, last room available, 30% discount, room is not a Pet room, hotel is sold out). Later, Desk Agent becoms aware that guests have a dog.
At that point things went downhill. Its apparent that we did not communicate clearly.
In a perfect service world, the conversation at check-in should have been: "You have a pet. I'm sorry, but all of our pet rooms are already taken. May I call, for you, similar hotels in our area that are might have pet rooms available?"
After we understood that you had a dog, given the situation, we should have explained the pet charge for cleaning the suite along with the pet fee and offered to reduce or eliminate the charge in case there was any misunderstanding on our part. We did not communicate. When the charge was questioned at check-out, we should have listened better instead of looking for fault. If we had, we would have learned that the cleaning charge was not explained in advance to the guest. We missed another opportunity. Instead, we ended up with an unhappy guest.
We failed to communicate effectively at several opportunities. Here is our chance---
Just wanted you to know. That morning, before seeing your review, as soon as we realized our error, we reversed the cleaning fee.
Additionally, even though there was never any mention of lobby noise disturbing your morning in the suite until now, we have fully refunded all of the charges from your stay .
We are truely sorry for the miscommunication and lack of aparent concern on our part. That is not who we are and not what we want to be. Please allow us the opportunity to serve you better in the future..

There are newer reviews for Quality Inn & Suites

Reviewed August 1, 2013

This is an average hotel. It's clean and friendly, but nothing special. The pool was clean and nice, but a little on the chilly side. The breakfast was decent. Overall, it is a nice property for a cheap (by Steamboat standards) place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Larry W, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

We are please that you found us "Clean, Friendly and Economical". Since our goal is to be the Best Value in our market in Steamboat, it sounds like we have approached the mark. We also want to be somewhat "Special" and we intend to keep working toward that direction. We hope you return and let us know how we have progressed. Thanks again.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

This is an older property but well kept. rooms were clean and the beds were comfy. Breakfast was average hotel fare, but it was filling and free. A good value for a resort town. Very good front desk clerk,friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Larry W, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. An important word for us is "Value". Our mission statement includes" being thebest value in Steamboat in our market".
Thanks for noticing.
Hope to see you again in Steamboat.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Our recent stay in Steamboat Springs was enjoyable. The staff and hot breakfast at the hotel was very good. This was a group booking of Senior Adults on a tour of the National Parks for 11 days and 10 nights. We had driven to Steamboat from Yellowstone National Park, and we arrived about 10. It took just a few minutes to get 32 people into their rooms. The only problem was there is no elevator in the hotel, and the climb up the stairs was difficult for some in our group. Be sure to let the hotel know early if you need a downstairs room.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for the nice review. An elevator would be a great addition. At least we are fortunate that more than half of our rooms are on the 1st floor (all accessable) and we have 3 pairs of ADA rooms there when needed. Since the group didn't make reservations as a group, we were fortunate to have been able to put the majority on the 1st floor. Glad you enjoyed your stay!
Please let us know when you are returning and we will make every attempt to place you wherever you find most appealing.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed here over a long weekend and it was great. We went to Steamboat Springs for the Balloon Rodeo and were looking to stay downtown but waited too long to make our reservation. We made a reservation here because they had rooms available but were skeptical about it. Turns out, we were within (a long) walking distance to the Balloon Rodeo launch point which was great. The room was clean and comfortable. The bed was great and the shower had plenty of hot water and water pressure and a spigot high enough to accommodate my 6' tall husband. The coffee was available and hot. Due to the balloon schedule, we didn't really make use of the full breakfast but it looked plentiful and varied. My two tips would be to try to get a 2nd floor room on the back side if you need quiet to sleep. We were on the first floor and heard a lot of the 2nd floor activity. Also, the free shuttle is the free city bus which works well to get you downtown but the bus may be late. If you catch the green line at the hotel, it turns into the red line for downtown so you don't need to change buses. Overall, a very good property and I would stay again.

Room Tip: Try to get a 2nd floor room on the back side if you need quiet to sleep. We were on the first floor...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Larry W, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear Balloon Rodeo Weekenders,
Glad you chose us! Balloon Rodeo Weekend in Steamboat is a blast. So much to do: Hot Air Balloons, Art In The Park, Free Concerts, Rodeos, Tubing down the Yampa, Biking or Hiking on our River Trail, Gondola rides--how do they pack so many activities into one weekend? With over 200 restaurants here, let our Desk Guest Service Agents help make a recomendation.
We appreciate your comments and look forward to your return. --Come see the Aspen in full color this September!

Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed at the Quality Inn for a baseball tournament in Steamboat. Our stay was great, and just what we needed for a team that was traveling together. Our room, while a bit tight with two Queen beds, was just what we needed. Our room faced the river, and was very quiet, providing a relaxing night's sleep. The breakfast had a lot to offer, but there are so many great breakfast options in Steamboat that we chose to go out. The boys enjoyed the swimming pool, and we relaxed in the lounge. The staff was excellent, and provided exceptional and very friendly service.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Larry W, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Thanks for the nice review! We are really excited to hear from our " sports team" folks that they are enjoying what we have to offer at the Quality Inn and Steamboat. Your comments seem to reconfirm that Steamboat is a great place for family vacations as well as a fun stop along the way. Thanks again. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

This was one of my more awkward stays.... I had my wife travel with me on this business trip and when she went to check in the desk attendant would not let my wife take their business card as "they are quite expensive to print" and instead handed my wife a printed copy of information about the hotel and accommodations. My wife also picked up a travel book but was asked to return it as "we run out of those by the end of the tourist season". However, the room itself was not quite bad the room and bathroom was rather small but works in a pinch. The bed and pillows were pretty comfortable for a good nights sleep. Glad that we got a price reduction on the room using our corporate program.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Larry W, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Glad to hear that you enjoyed our hotel room and the Corporate discount. Somewhat miffed that our Front Desk Guest Service Agent wasn't as generous with our printed materials as could be. After all-- its "For The Guests!" If you could drop us a line, I will personally send you a copy of everything we have in print.
Or better yet, stop in again and I will have it for you here.
All the best