“Great location and good accomidations”

The West Condominiums
Reviewed March 7, 2010

This place was great to stay especially if you plan on skiing or want to be close to the bottom of the slopes. It is only a couple of minutes walk to the Gondola (or they will drive you).

The room that we stayed in had a fully furnished kitchen (including dishwasher). Storage for wet ski clothes just at the door. The main bed was located in a loft area and the stairs were quite steep. We never used the pull out couch. The gas fireplace was nice touch and put out a lot of heat.

The heated pool and the 2 hottubs were sufficient even though the hottubs were inside.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank slimandclubby

Reviewed March 4, 2010

I got a great bargain when I stayed at The West last month. I enjoyed my studio which had a kitchen, gas fireplace and lots of closet space--all of whcih was a good value. Moreover, the building had a coin laundry unit at the bottom.

However, I did have a few gripes,. For one things my bags were heavy and I had to lug them up a flight of stairs, as well as lug them over three steps outside my building (both of my bags had wheels on them). For the benefit of travelers with disabilities, those who are carrying around skis (the ski lockers are in the basement) and those who are carrying heavy bags, an elevator should be installed. Perhaps one was available in my building but no one pointed it out to me.

Second, while I appreciated the stereo system which accomodated CDs, it seemed to be on its last legs. More than once, I had to go through the process of activating the CD player over and over just to make sure the player caught the CD that I was trying to play. It seemed as if my model was an older Yamaha.

Nonetheless, I enjoyed this place and might stay here again should I return to Steamboat. The location was great and I appreciated the walk to the transit hub and the ski area, which had a great selection of restaurants and shops where I could buy postcards, etc. The desk staff was kind enough to get out my postcards in time. Thanks to them for making my stay worthwhile.

With the aforementioned conditions, I would recommend this place. There are other places in the Steamboat area which cost less and are notable (such as the Bristol and Rabbit Ears). One advantage to them was that they were convenient to the Winter Carnival which was taking place while I was here.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Braniff747
Reviewed January 23, 2010

We stayed here for 4 days in January and were very happy with this choice. It was so close to the gondola, literally a 3 or 4 minute walk. They also provide airport shuttle for an additional charge, which we used and it was very easy. A shuttle is provided to take you to the grocery, downtown, anywhere you want to go. It's very convenient and very easy! At check-in, the front desk was extremely friendly and has doughnuts and coffee available. I was pleasantly surprised by the hottubs. There are two hot tubs that are just wonderful after a long day of skiing. Overall we would definately return and would definately recommend this as an easy getaway where all you have to do is show up.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2010

This was a great place to stay, great location. The walk to the gondola was fairly easy and the free ski storage in gondola square made it even easier. The unit was decorated nicely, very up to date, very clean with a lot of closet space. Never felt cramped. Kitchen had everything you could ever need. Pool and two hot tubs were sufficient. All employees that we dealt with were very friendly and helpful. The complimentary bottle of wine waiting in our unit was a nice touch. The dates of our stay were unfortunately during "Ski Jam" which translated into loud bands playing practically outside our unit- advice - stay away from that time slot if that's not your thing. The pullout sofa sleeper could have been a bit more comfortable. Would definitely return to The West Condominiums for another ski trip.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 29, 2009

We stayed at The West for five nights in early March, 2009. We had the same condo as we had the year before. It was fine and quite comfortable, 2 bedrooms, good for our family of 3. The only quibbles were that the condo seemed a tiny bit dated, -- the kitchen and bathrooms were renovated and the rooms were furnished well -- the carpeting was a bit dingy, though, and the sofa upholstery was tired looking, too. It had a well-stocked kitchen.
Also, we had a problem with a running toilet, and while the management got it fixed two days later, we got tired of hearing the flushing sound every 10 minutes and cut off the water whenever we weren't using it. Not a big deal, but prompter repair would have been nice.
The location is great, not ski-in/ski-out, but almost as good. Free ski storage about 150 yards away at the base of the gondola, and a pleasant, pretty short stroll to get to the ski storage and the skiing -- down a hill, across the street at the transportation hub and through the gondola shopping area. Then onto the mountain. It's an unbeatable location.
No underground parking so your car is out in the elements; it hasn't been a problem for us. We haven't been there during a blizzard.
We all agree it was very nice. Also, complimentary doughnuts in the morning, along with coffee--both at the office.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 16, 2009

My family of three, two adults and one 15 year old, rented a one bedroom condo for 4 nights. I had requested an updated unit when making the reservation and I was anxious to see if my request was granted. Much to my delight our unit, 3225, was newly remodeled with granite countertops in the kitchen, slate floors throughout, spacious and updated bathroom, and charming, comfortable furnishings and decor. Also, the unit had a great view with large windows and balcony facing west. My son slept on the foldout sofa and he was very comfortable.The cleaning staff came in each day to replace the towels and do minor straightening. The kitchen was filled with plenty of utinsils for cooking, dish washing liquid, Cascade, dish cloths, wine opener.... The afternoons were lovely and temps reached into the 40's, so we used the large gas grills located near the pool area to cook steaks. The pool was rather small, but well maintained and the two hot tubs were nice at the end of a day of skiing. The location was very, very convenient. Just a 5 minute walk over to Gondola Square where we rented and stored our ski equipment. I am really picky about clean and well-kept accommodations and I was very pleased with The West.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 5, 2008

There are lots of winter reviews, but this is a wonderful summer accommodation too. Our one bedroom condo was one of the nicest we've ever stayed in; beautifully decorated, quiet, every amenity you could want. Staff was so friendly and helpful. The location is excellent. Nice pool and two spas; lounge upstairs over office with internet access. We're a senior couple, but were with grandson's baseball team for tourney; the kids had a ball there, and the families were able to have a barbecue party around the pool. But it was always very quiet at night....loved it and didn't want to leave!!!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ORTraveler