“Quite / nice views / great shuttle service”

The Ranch at Steamboat
Reviewed December 23, 2011

Stayed here in Feb. 2009 with our ski club. Together we had five 2 and 3 bedroom units. The location was away from the busy / congested base area. Some of the units were updated ( very nice) and some were still 80's decor....Over all clean condition. There were 2 hot tubs near the buildings. The main pool and large hot tub were about 500 feet down the hill behind the clubhouse. Great mountain views from the rooms and pool area.
One of the best pro's of the Ranch was their shuttle bus system. It started in the morning. All you had to do was stand outside your building in the morning to go skiing and they would roll up, pick your party up and deposit you about 50 feet from the slope, just above the lifts. After your day of skiing meet at the same spot, or give them a call and a mini bus would be there in 5 minutes or less and deposit you at your door. For dinner in town, just call the number, tell them how many in your party and which build and the mini bus would be there in a few minutes. They would drop you off where ever you wanted in town. After dinner or shopping just call with your location and they would pick you up with in 5-10 minutes. These mini-buses only took Ranch people. The price was right for this location. One note: The Ranch is not on the Steamboat regular bus route

Room Tip: Ask which units have been updated by the owners. If you want to use the pool and main hot tubs ask...
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank superslif

Reviewed August 20, 2011

Beds were comfy, unit was tidy, neighbors were quiet, hot tub was hot and the staff was super friendly. The only issue I had that might be helpful for others to read was during check in.
I was told that if I needed to check in after office hours, to call ahead of time so that they can make sure my keys and check in info were waiting for me at the Mountain Resorts main office. I called ahead, and was assured that everything was good and my keys would be waiting for me. Turns out, when I showed up to the Mountain Resorts office, neither my keys or check in info were there.
Someone from The Ranch had apparently spaced transferring my info. I was told that I had to wait until the next day to check in. (No one, not even security, could help me out?) Fortunately, my roommate was at the unit, so I was able to get in that evening without any issues.
THEN, the next day I tried to check in during our lunch break, and to everyone's confusion, there were no keys available for my unit! The staff was incredibly apologetic. They radioed their maintenance person and had keys made right away. First he met me at the unit to let me in. 5 minutes later, he was back with a new set of keys. A minor set back that could have put me over the edge, but didn't. I will not let this mishap deter me from returning.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Rachel H
Reviewed July 12, 2011

Many of the reviews on The Ranch talk about it being dated. It is. Very. But, for that, you can also look at the price and, perhaps, conclude you get what you pay for. And, there are other comments on the poor service (I agree -- we tried calling at about 8pm on a Saturday evening to get a late check out for Sunday morning after being told when we checked in that we had to call the evening before to get a late checkout and they were closed already for the night) but, in fairness, the person at the checkin desk was very friendly and helpful when we checked in. The hot tub was so hot it was basically not usable and the towels at the hot tub appeared to be the same ones that they purchased in 1970 when this place was built.

But, get this -- the ice maker in the refrigerator had not produced any ice so I tried to move the little bar that turns the machine on/off and was electrocuted. Yes, electrocuted. I have a blister on my finger caused by this to prove it. The refrigerator is so old (as is everything) that this happened. While I will live through it, it was a bit of a shock.

Anyway, a sign at the checkin desk suggested providing reviews on this site. So, I hope the management reviews the reviews and fixes the electrical problems before someone gets hurt worse than I did. When they fix it, perhaps they will post a response here -- until then, beware!!!!! I would strongly recommend against staying in this place until they fix it. An uncomfortable bed that is from the 70s is simply a sleep hazard. Electrocution can cause serious injury and even death. Oh, did I say that the mattress must be original equipment?

Room Tip: Ask if there are any electrocution hazards in your room !!!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
ResortGroup, General Manager at The Ranch at Steamboat, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2011

Dear Ranch Guest,

We are sorry to hear that your accommodations did not meet your expectations. Guest feedback is welcomed and encouraged as it gives us an opportunity to improve each and every guest’s experience. The Ranch staff and employees take your comments very seriously and want you to know that we have looked into your issues. Additionally, each condominium at The Ranch is individually owned and your comments give us a chance to review your experience with the owner of the unit.
We were quite concerned with your issue with the icemaker and we did send our maintenance staff to investigate the appliance. When they examined the icemaker, it was full of ice and they were unable to recreate the electrical situation you experienced. Because guest safety is always a priority, we then called an independent appliance repairman to examine the refrigerator and icemaker. He, too could find nothing wrong with the icemaker or wiring. There were storms in Steamboat the weekend of your stay, perhaps a lightening strike or electrical surge were the source of the situation?
We also looked into the mattress quality/age issues that you reported. The manufacturing tags on the mattresses indicate that the king mattress in the master bedroom was manufactured in 2009, the twin beds in 2010, and the queen bed was manufactured in 2007. We understand that the comfort of a particular bed is a matter of personal preference and varies from person to person. We were sorry to learn that you found the mattresses uncomfortable. However, our biggest disappointment was that we heard of these issues after your stay. Had we been aware of these issues during your visit we would have made every effort to relocate you to a unit that was more suitable to your needs. Regarding the age of the pool towels, they were purchased in 2010, but we have passed along your assessment of the towel quality to our housekeeping director. Once again, your feedback is appreciated and important to us.
We have reviewed with the front desk staff the importance of using the term afternoon vs evening regarding late check out requests. We appreciate you pointing this out to us. Please note however, that your reservation confirmation as well as the hours posted on the front door of The Ranch state the summer front desk hours as 8 AM until 5 PM seven days a week. Our records indicate that we were ultimately able to accommodate your request for a late check out, but we do apologize for the miscommunication and any frustration that this may have caused.

The Ranch at Steamboat

Reviewed March 7, 2011

My wife, our 5 year-old, and I went up for Winter Carnival and had a blast. It snowed six-plus inches a night for three nights straight, and we basically parked the car and rode the Ranch's user-friendly (free/frequent) shuttles everywhere. The two-bedroom condo itself was a bit 70s-style, but the fireplace and deck were wonderful. It had all the space we needed, a stocked kitchen, and a heated garage. Being high on the mountain made for nice views, and the obligatory horse-drawn sleigh ride at one of the local ranches was great. We're definitely fans of the Ranch (and Steamboat)!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank parmour
Reviewed October 5, 2010

Check-in was a breeze and the staff was very helpful and knowledgeable. We had never been to the area before but it was easy to find our way downtown because The Ranch was in such a great location. The condo was 2 bed, 2.5 bath, beds okay, not the greatest in comfort. Washer/dryer in the unit was very conveinient. Hot tub very close to our condo. Balcony had great view. Overall it was a great place to stay, I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank COGirl1234
Reviewed February 3, 2010

We just stayed in a 3 bed, 3 bath condo at The Ranch for 5 nights on a family ski trip (5 adults). We drove in from Denver, arrived at 2am - still easy to find and get checked in that late. The lodging and location exceeded our expectations. The shuttle service was a huge bonus because everyone was free to be on their own schedule for skiing or a drive into town at any time. We experienced excellent customer service and the pool and hot tub hit the spot after a long day on the slopes. Our condo had a great view of the mountain which was a wonderful surprise. I was originally worried the condo was going to be dated (photos online looked old) but we got lucky with a flat screen TV in living room, recently updated granite counter tops in kitchen and bathroom tiles in our unit. We tried to stay in and cook meals to save money - the unit has everything you would need. The washer/dryer was also great to have for those of us who needed to wash socks and long underwear!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank BayandStew
Reviewed January 19, 2010

My wife and another couple stayed at the Ranch at Steamboat and enjoyed everything it had to offer. We appreciated the great view of the ski slopes from our balcony, how close we were to the lifts (about a 2 mile drive) and the hot tub 20 yards away from the balcony. We had a great time and plan on coming back to stay at the Ranch! The only thing I could really suggest is taking out the twin beds and atleast upgrading to a queen if not a king size bed, but I definetly loved the Vizio plasma TV, which we were not expecting. Thank you

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple