“Did not get any sleep”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Steamboat Springs
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Steamboat Springs
Reviewed April 12, 2012

We reserved room months in advance advising of later arrival and asked for a quiet room as we were exhausted, hoping to sleep in. The room we got was by the elevator...and the moment we fell asleep the traffic started and noise started. People walking and talking, elevator dinging, loud noises, laughter, grunting....we could not sleep. At 3 am I asked to be moved, was told nothing was available.
The place is over run by railroad, construction workers, it's filthy and worn out. The staff did not
want to do anything to accommodate us and played dumb. The front desk was staffed with an indian and australian and they just did not care. I left with tears, lack of sleep and will NEVER spend a night here, although have on every stay in Steamboat.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
sbsfi, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Steamboat Springs, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2012

I'd like to apologize on behalf of our entire staff that we fell short of your expectations. We want nothing more than each and every one of our guests to be comfortable. We are working extremely hard during our remodel to bring the very best to our guests.

Reviewed April 9, 2012

The public areas are dirty, with dirty carpet everywhere. To be fair, the room was acceptably clean. However, it was beaten up with nicks on woodwork and scuffs on wallpaper, as were the public areas. The exercise room was in complete disarray and unusable but with no warning on the website that I could see when I booked the room. The pool was grossly over-chlorinated. All in all, not a good experience.

As an aside, I am a Marriott gold card holder and to date Marriott has not sent me a rating questionnaire about the stay. I wonder it no questionnaire is sent when the hotel knows it is not up to snuff.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ttraveler_11

Ttraveller_11, we are working hard to minimize disruptions to our guests during our remodel which includes all public areas and the pool / exercise room. I appreciate your comments on the cleanliness of your room. We look forward to you seeing our renovated property!

Reviewed February 20, 2012

I cannot say enough about the service we received while staying at the Fairfield Inn at Steamboat Springs, CO. Nick at the desk was excellent. What a wonderful employee to have providing service at your facility. Thank You! He went above and beyond to ensure we were adequately taken care of including checking out our inability to lock the door when maintenance was not immediately available. I was sorry to have booked so late that we were unable to spend the final 2 nights of our trip there but recognize that the place was full.
The service of transport to the ski slope area is a wonderful service as well as the complimentary breakfast.
I do have a recommendation that you should evaluate the plastic bags you use for your trash cans. They are not very durable and sturdy. Providing extra bags in the waste cans would be nice. The bathroom did have a "musty" smell also.
Thanks for a great first 2 days of our ski vacation in Steamboat Springs.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jackpot12

Thank you Jackpot 12 for your kind words. I am excited to see we were able to WOW you during your stay! Your comments and suggestions are priceless in our bettering ourselves.

Reviewed January 30, 2012

I stayed here for a ski weekend with my husband and two kids. Check in was easy and the front desk was friendly. I asked for a mountain view, 3rd floor (top floor) room and they were able to accomodate my request.

Pros:
- $129/night plus tax is a good rate in a ski town.
- Complimentary breakfast included frest fruit, hot breakfast sandwiches, and a waffle machine.
- I liked the location. It is on your way into town if you are coming off of Rabbit Ears pass. It is about a 4 minute drive to the base.
- They offer a shuttle to the ski base.
- The indoor pool is clean and the kids enjoyed it.
-There is a small fridge and (old) microwave in every room.

Cons:
-You can tell they tried to renovate, but they didn't appear to finish. The carpets are still a hunter green color and the woodwork is all a dark brown. The shower is still a one piece plastic that looked old.
-It didn't feel clean to me. I wouldn't walk around unless I had socks or shoes on. The bedskirts had white stains on them.
-Beds are really soft.

Overall, I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for the third floor so no one is walking around above you.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Kerander
Reviewed January 28, 2012

I was here again on business and this time stayed at the Fairfield by Marriott. It's all the way at the south end of town next to the Holiday Inn. The Fairfield is an obviously older building but they have tried updating things a bit. I had a king suite which was large with a separate living area with its own tv and bedroom area also with tv. The living room tv had a DVD player as well. There is a mini fridge and microwave in the room. The bed was pretty comfortable and the heating and AC worked. What got me was that when I checked in they assigned me to my room and knew I was a platinum member. The room had two ancient tube televisions. The next morning I came by the front desk and asked if any rooms had new flatscreens. He said "yes all but the one you are in." I was thinking "why would you assign a platinum guest the worst room in the hotel when you obviously aren't sold out??" In their defense the maintenance person replaced both TVs with flatscreens the next day. So service was great. But I also mentioned to them that the water in the tub wasn't draining properly. They never fixed this problem. It's gross when you shower and you have to hurry and shower fast because it fills up the tub. Honestly my biggest issue with this place is the bathroom. Who updates a hotel with newer bedding and flat screen TVs and even replaces the vanity in the bathroom but puts in one that's at the old low height?? This place does. There's nothing worse than throwing your back out because you're all bent over trying to shave? Finally because it's next to Holiday Inn, you can walk next door and eat/drink at Rex's. Awesome food.

• Stayed: January 2012
3  Thank Engineer911
Reviewed January 14, 2012

I have stayed in a few hotels in this area on regular business trips and this is by far the most comfortable, the rooms are well laid out, if you request a room facing the mountain the views are fantastic. The staff gets a 10 out of 10 for service and attitude the rooms I have had are spotless.
It is a little "out of town" but the REX'S Bar and Grill next door (walking distance) is a hidden gem with great food and atmosphere. The city bus service stops here as well so you don’t have to drive into town. It will probably cost you $10-$15 more a night than surrounding hotels but it is worth it!
I will continue to stay here whenever I am in Steamboat and will recommend.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 2, 2012

I stayed in this hotel with Marriott points, as we were looking for a Steamboat ski vacation and didn't want to blow the bank. This worked out fine as the location was good, right on the main drag a short drive from both downtown and the mountain. The free breakfast was always ready and stocked, the room was clean, and the staff was friendly. I heard the shuttle was good as well but we drove over.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family