“Nice hotel to stay”

The Steamboat Hotel
Ranked #17 of 21 Hotels in Steamboat Springs
Reviewed February 27, 2014

This Hotel is great we have stayed here 3 separate times now and never had 1 problem it a little out of town but Steamboat has a super free bus service and the bus takes you to the door.You don't have to pay a fortune to stay in a great Ski Resort like Steamboat

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank ian Q
There are newer reviews for The Steamboat Hotel

Reviewed February 25, 2014

You get what you pay for - this is a very reasonably priced hotel for the location. If you are looking for frills and luxury stay elsewhere. The room is clean although outdated and bathroom could use some upkeep (cracks in the plaster). Easy, quick drive to Main Street or the mountains or you can take the free shuttle with a stop right out front of the hotel. The lighting in the room is not good - very dim even with all the lights on.

While the front desk is courteous they could use some additional training - i had prepaid for my room so I was only looking to pay the pet fee and apparently that caused the front desk attendant a lot of trouble as she had no idea how to make that work. It wasn't until the next morning when the manager was in was the issue resolved. Needless to say a rather slow check in. Checkout was extremely fast and they were nice enough to let us have a free late checkout.

We loved all the trails surrounding the hotel that we could walk our dog. Overall, for the price we would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank samaka05
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We booked with the AAA discount (10% off regular rate) which was the best deal we could find in Steamboat. Overall the room was average for the price we paid. We didn't get a chance to enjoy the hot tub since we had spent the entire day at the Strawberry Park hot springs (check it out!). Parking was fine, our sleep was fine (no noise issues encountered) and we headed out the next morning. Free coffee but not much else there. The girl who checked us in was nice and informative but could've used another hand as there was a line of people waiting to check in. Overall, you won't get much better than this for price-point in the Steamboat area.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 27, 2014

A friend and I stayed here recently (separate rooms) and neither of us slept a wink. I point out the separate rooms as both rooms had the same fatal flaw - the worst HVAC unit I've ever seen in a hotel room. The unit was very loud, which honestly I don't mind as I prefer sleeping with background noise. But you had two choices, fan only (so no heat, it was 2 outside) or heat which means the fan cycles on and off - about every 5 minutes. All night long. So every 5 minutes it would fire up (a two stage process, both stages very loud about 2 minutes apart) then run for about 10 minutes and clang to a stop. 5 minutes later the entire process would begin again - all night long. I've never had such a bad night sleep in a hotel.

To me a hotel is 3 things - clean, a good shower and a good nights sleep. The room was at least clean and the shower wasn't bad. But if you can't sleep - uh, well then stay elsewhere.

Oh, another note - while I'm not a smoker I don't have to worry about any sort of smoking fees but I've never seen a place with more warning signs up that if you smoke they will fine you $290 (what an oddly specific amount). Seriously, everywhere you look - felt like I was in a prison or something.

Room Tip: Just stay somewhere else. Seriously, spend the $10 and stay across the street at the Holiday Inn an...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank LotusExigeInCO
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I spent 2 nights in this hotel and left utterly sleep deprived. First, there is almost no insulation between the floors and I could hear every step that the people in the room above mine made. Second, the room heaters are dated and must run 24/7 in order to maintain any heat in the room. Consequently, they are extremely noisy and the one in my room was making an obnoxious clicking sound throughout the entire night. Upon check out, I requested a partial refund for my 2 sleep-less nights and the general manager refused to honor my request. I will never stay at this hotel again, and will next time pay the extra $20 to stay across the street at the Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: Request the third floor or stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank C-ALuvs2Travel
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I booked this hotel through hotwire at a special rate...which was higher than I could have booked elsewhere. The best thing about the hotel is its coffee. It is delicious. The staff at check in and check out were friendly and informative. They made sure we knew the stand for the free buses were right out front of the hotel. The room was fine for a two star hotel. Not great, not horrible. It was clean and quiet. Our room was above the entry way that smelled very smokey. The cigaretter smoke did seep through the a/c/heating unit but was noticable only upon our arrival. The room was so warm we never even turned on the heater. The bed was not uncomfortable but a little soft for my preference. The linens were clean and looked new. The carpet was rather new also. The bathroom was small and in need of some rehab but was relatively clean. The bathroom towels were clean and smelled very clean and fresh. Soap, shampoo with conditioner and plenty of towels were available. Based on reviews I asked for a front room with the mountain view on the third floor and it was a good choice.

Room Tip: Ask for a front side mountain view room on the third floor.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2014

If you are familiar with Steamboat then you know that there is NO cheap lodging there. But the Steamboat Hotel is relatively cheap and a decent place to stay. It was clean, the carpeting looked new, the front desk girls were great and it was just what I expected. If you expect free breakfast, don't stay here. If you expect queen beds in a double room, don't stay here. The place was nice, we were on the 3rd floor facing the mountain and our stay was quite pleasant. The beds were comfortable and the room had a nice tv, a small fridge, a coffee pot. What more could you want? Maybe some more outlets! If you don't mind stairs the 3rd floor is a great place to stay.

Room Tip: There are no stairs but the 3rd floor was quiet. We faced the mountain and so the view was great!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends