“good value”

Ranked #16 of 21 Hotels in Steamboat Springs
Denver, Colorado
“good value”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

You get what you pay for - this is a very reasonably priced hotel for the location. If you are looking for frills and luxury stay elsewhere. The room is clean although outdated and bathroom could use some upkeep (cracks in the plaster). Easy, quick drive to Main Street or the mountains or you can take the free shuttle with a stop right out front of the hotel. The lighting in the room is not good - very dim even with all the lights on.

While the front desk is courteous they could use some additional training - i had prepaid for my room so I was only looking to pay the pet fee and apparently that caused the front desk attendant a lot of trouble as she had no idea how to make that work. It wasn't until the next morning when the manager was in was the issue resolved. Needless to say a rather slow check in. Checkout was extremely fast and they were nice enough to let us have a free late checkout.

We loved all the trails surrounding the hotel that we could walk our dog. Overall, for the price we would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank samaka05

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We booked with the AAA discount (10% off regular rate) which was the best deal we could find in Steamboat. Overall the room was average for the price we paid. We didn't get a chance to enjoy the hot tub since we had spent the entire day at the Strawberry Park hot springs (check it out!). Parking was fine, our sleep was fine (no noise issues encountered) and we headed out the next morning. Free coffee but not much else there. The girl who checked us in was nice and informative but could've used another hand as there was a line of people waiting to check in. Overall, you won't get much better than this for price-point in the Steamboat area.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed January 27, 2014

A friend and I stayed here recently (separate rooms) and neither of us slept a wink. I point out the separate rooms as both rooms had the same fatal flaw - the worst HVAC unit I've ever seen in a hotel room. The unit was very loud, which honestly I don't mind as I prefer sleeping with background noise. But you had two choices, fan only (so no heat, it was 2 outside) or heat which means the fan cycles on and off - about every 5 minutes. All night long. So every 5 minutes it would fire up (a two stage process, both stages very loud about 2 minutes apart) then run for about 10 minutes and clang to a stop. 5 minutes later the entire process would begin again - all night long. I've never had such a bad night sleep in a hotel.

To me a hotel is 3 things - clean, a good shower and a good nights sleep. The room was at least clean and the shower wasn't bad. But if you can't sleep - uh, well then stay elsewhere.

Oh, another note - while I'm not a smoker I don't have to worry about any sort of smoking fees but I've never seen a place with more warning signs up that if you smoke they will fine you $290 (what an oddly specific amount). Seriously, everywhere you look - felt like I was in a prison or something.

Room Tip: Just stay somewhere else. Seriously, spend the $10 and stay across the street at the Holiday Inn an...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank LotusExigeInCO

Travelers are raving about these Steamboat Springs hotels

Lakewood, Colorado
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I spent 2 nights in this hotel and left utterly sleep deprived. First, there is almost no insulation between the floors and I could hear every step that the people in the room above mine made. Second, the room heaters are dated and must run 24/7 in order to maintain any heat in the room. Consequently, they are extremely noisy and the one in my room was making an obnoxious clicking sound throughout the entire night. Upon check out, I requested a partial refund for my 2 sleep-less nights and the general manager refused to honor my request. I will never stay at this hotel again, and will next time pay the extra $20 to stay across the street at the Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: Request the third floor or stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank C-ALuvs2Travel
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I booked this hotel through hotwire at a special rate...which was higher than I could have booked elsewhere. The best thing about the hotel is its coffee. It is delicious. The staff at check in and check out were friendly and informative. They made sure we knew the stand for the free buses were right out front of the hotel. The room was fine for a two star hotel. Not great, not horrible. It was clean and quiet. Our room was above the entry way that smelled very smokey. The cigaretter smoke did seep through the a/c/heating unit but was noticable only upon our arrival. The room was so warm we never even turned on the heater. The bed was not uncomfortable but a little soft for my preference. The linens were clean and looked new. The carpet was rather new also. The bathroom was small and in need of some rehab but was relatively clean. The bathroom towels were clean and smelled very clean and fresh. Soap, shampoo with conditioner and plenty of towels were available. Based on reviews I asked for a front room with the mountain view on the third floor and it was a good choice.

Room Tip: Ask for a front side mountain view room on the third floor.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Boulder
Reviewed January 4, 2014

If you are familiar with Steamboat then you know that there is NO cheap lodging there. But the Steamboat Hotel is relatively cheap and a decent place to stay. It was clean, the carpeting looked new, the front desk girls were great and it was just what I expected. If you expect free breakfast, don't stay here. If you expect queen beds in a double room, don't stay here. The place was nice, we were on the 3rd floor facing the mountain and our stay was quite pleasant. The beds were comfortable and the room had a nice tv, a small fridge, a coffee pot. What more could you want? Maybe some more outlets! If you don't mind stairs the 3rd floor is a great place to stay.

Room Tip: There are no stairs but the 3rd floor was quiet. We faced the mountain and so the view was great!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Bologna, Italy
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Steamboat Springs may be an expansive place and the Steamboat Hotel probably offers some of the best rates in town. Sad to say I've discovered that, beside offering a basic accomodation, part of the low rate is the result of a mean and reprehensible practice: they don't change the bed sheets. Even in a budget motel I cannot accept the lack of respect of an hotelkeeper who , for a little saving, fools and cheats those getting him/her his/her living, its guests. Even before being an higienic issue it's a matter of respect to me.I checked in early one afternoon at the beginning of october and for a valid rate I was offered a simple room located at the second floor, equipped with fridge and coffee maker. No microwave but guests may use the one available in the lobby. Not too bad for a couple of nights except that when I lifted the bed covers I discovered several types of hair on the sheets. I reported the employee on duty my discovery and I was offered an alternative room in the basement. The following morning I had coffee in the lobby (no complimentary breakfast in the morning but coffee and teas are offered there) and I really appreciated the kindness and professionalism of the girl on duty who helped me locating a tyre repairer I was looking for in town. She apologized for what had happened the previous day and she seemed to be really embarassed and sorry. Since I'm aware that making a mistake might happen that evening I decided to give the Steamboat Hotel another chance and I checked in once again. There was another girl on duty and before paying my due I made sure that I was being offered a clean place letting her know my bad experience and that I wasn't going to accept a new dirty bed. I was granted my room was clean and I trusted her. The room was better than the previouis one but when sleeping time came I realized I had put my trust in the wrong hands. Both beds in the room had several hair on the bed sheets and one of them some blood stains too. I was furious and I reported on the spot my discovery the hotel employee. I asked her to come and see with her own eyes the situation and she offered me a new accomodation. Since I had already taken all my belongings from my car and since a new room by now was not at all a guarantee of cleanliness I refused her offer and I asked clean sheets in order to make myself a new clean bed. The following morning I complained once more to the person I had to the very first time and I discovered she was the manager. This time she told me she would have talked to the cleaning staff. Too late. Only then I realized that there was something unusual about the cleaning staff I had noticed. In the morning, in every worthy hotel you see cleaning people in the corridors with trolleys full of clean linens and baskets full of dirty ones. Not at the Steamboat Hotel. I had seen this unusual thing the very first day but I didn't pay much attention. Now I was aware that dirty sheets were not an oversight or the consequence of some lazy employee but a real hotel policy.

Room Tip: Ask to ckeck the bed sheets before checking in
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo