“It was an ok place to stay!”
Review of The Ptarmigan Inn

The Ptarmigan Inn
Ranked #17 of 21 Hotels in Steamboat Springs
“It was an ok place to stay!”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

It was a little hard to find since they had the road tore up and it didn't have any signs in where to go or how to get to the hotel. But once we found it. The hotel was ok, staff was nice. It was pretty out dated. My husband and I laughed hard at the guest computers they had in the lobby. They had to be from the 80's, with new towers, tv and VHS in the room was interesting because who even has VHS any more and the tvs are very old. Still we had a nice stay there, and would probably come back again.

• Stayed June 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Worthington, Ohio
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We booked this hotel for a late Spring skiing vacation. The day we arrived was in the mid 70's and we were already feeling down about our chances of getting any good snow. The initial appearance of the Inn did not lift our spirits. It looks more than a bit dated. After checking in we had trouble with our door lock. While maintenance immediately began trying to fix the door lock, we left to run errands. They were unable to fix the lock and we were told that we would need to change to a different room. We had already unpacked and the staff were very apologetic. They offered us a room upgrade and showed us our options before helping us move our luggage to our new room. We ended up in a King room with a loft containing 2 twin beds. Although the weather did not cooperate, and the snow conditions were atrocious, we had a very enjoyable stay nonetheless. That's due mostly to the fine staff at the Ptarmigan Inn. Once we acclimated to the older decor and the sparse amenities we really came to appreciate the cleanliness, the friendliness of the staff and the superb location. Also, the wifi was fast and free. Two features that we really appreciated were the on site equipment rental just steps from the front desk as well as the complimentary equipment storage just inside the door from the slopes. We would absolutely stay here on a future visit.

Room Tip: If you think you'll be spending anytime at all in the hotel spring for an upgrade. The cheaper...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Howtle
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed March 27, 2012

The Ptarmigan Inn, or P-tarm in the local vernacular, is in a wonderful location on the slopes of Steamboat. It's a very short ski down to the gondola, and you can ski right back to the door at the end of the day. The hotel itself is fine, but the furnishing are rather dated; tube tvs and vhs videoplayers in the rooms, for example. The free wifi service was reasonably quick at 2 to 4 MB per second, but it seemed like they rebooted the server on a fairly regular basis, briefly interrupting the internet connection every hour or so.
The restaurant in the hotel (sorry, can't remember the name) was nothing special, but not offensive.
The hot tub and swimming pool were more than adequate; unfortunately, they are not on the slope side of the building, so you can't relax in the hot tub at the end of the day and watch all the tired skiers on their last runs.
One downside of the location: The ski school for small children is located just outside the hotel, and when we were there they groomed the snow in that area every morning between 4 and 6 am. If you are a light sleeper in a slope-side room, the noise of the equipment is likely to wake you.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Seniomsed
Highland Mills, New York
Reviewed March 16, 2012

This inn and hotel has been in business for a long time. Its slopeside, a short slide to the gondola. I dont like big , corporate style hotels in ski areas . Reminds me of Manhattan . The Ptarmigan is small, confortable and very friendly. Buffet breakfast is great, lunch and dinner are also available and good. The bar is a hangout for the " Over the hill gang " and other locals. There is a pool, hot tub and ski shop on premise. Hanging out in the lobby at night was fun but we got a bit loud and were quieted down a few times because there are rooms facing the lobby. Just a bunch of "adults " out of control. There's been talk of tearing it down for a big modern hotel so who knows how long it will exist.

Room Tip: The hotel is built in levels corresponding to the slope of the hill. If you have a room facing the h...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank RichieG29
Grove, Oklahoma
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Amazing value. True ski in, ski out. Walk to fine dining, coffee shops, bars.. On-site restaurant is friendly, convenient, and fast. Great ski valet service. Ski right down to gondola in morning, ski right back to your door in the afternoon and hand your skis off. Decorating is dated. Will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Colorado
Reviewed February 15, 2012

If hotels received rewards for being mediocre, the Ptarmigan Inn would win. Other than nice lobby staff and a few nice waitresses at the Snowbird Inn, The Ptarmigan Inn reeked of average-averageness (you see, I can even make up a word about how mediocre this place was). I came here on a trip with my husband – as part of his company’s retreat – and my two young girls (ages 17 months and 3.5 years) thinking that Steamboat Springs would have something to offer me and the kiddos while the hubby was on the business portion of his trip. WRONG. If you can’t go skiing, this place is NOT for you. The only thing going for the Ptarmigan Inn is the fact this it is LITERALLY right next to the gondola ski lifts. I could walk out of my room and walk a few hundred feet to the lifts. It’s great if you are as skier (which, if I didn’t have two tiny kiddos with me I might have considered). The lobby is sparse, with no activities or other amenities (two old computers to use and a fireplace). The rooms are old – the entire hotel reminded me of the movie “Time Machine Hot Tub” only not as nice. Everything reeked of the 70s or early 80s – old curtains, old comforter, old chairs, old tables and drawers, old carpet. Although I wasn’t surprised by the décor, I was surprised at the lack of things to do (not the hotel’s fault, just a side note).
Some people keep going on and on about the breakfast at the Snowbird Inn (The Ptarmigan Inn’s little restaurant). I was NOT impressed: We had breakfast at the Snowbird Restaurant for four days and they do offer a full menu and a buffet. I was really overwhelmed with the prices they charge for their breakfast items. The buffet at over $10 a person for eggs is insane. I NEVER go back for seconds and nothing on the menu was appealing to me. Since I was stuck at the hotel for breakfast with two kiddos, I didn’t really have a choice. I asked if I could offer my kids some eggs off of my plate and the waitress said she would just charge us the “kids’” price for their portions. SO, I paid about $8.00 (two kiddos) for a Tablespoon of eggs and a pancake. Also a small cup of milk for my 17 month old set me back another $3.99. I would expect to pay that if I was staying at a resort hotel, but the Ptarmigan Inn is just an old (at least 40 years old), un-renovated hotel. I also had dinner at the Snowbird Restaurant one night at it was just as ordinary as breakfast. We ordered mac ‘n cheese for the kiddos (is it LITERALLY out of the kraft blue box), I had a plain Caesar’s Salad (meh) and my hubby had a hamburger. I will note that their French fries were fantastic. I wouldn’t go back here to eat given the choice. Average bill at breakfast for two adults and two kids: $35.00 (for EGGS and pancakes!!).
The tub in our hotel room had a difficult time plugging up and I needed to give my kiddos a bath – it was a big of a challenge. I HATE having to shower them because they want to play in the tub and the shower doesn’t cut it, very annoying. Also, the pillows in our room were really uncomfortable (as were the beds) and our room didn’t have a microwave (I knew this ahead of time) so I brought my own from home so I could heat up my kid’s milk.
Overall, if you are a skier or a snowboarder and are just looking for a place to crash, this is the place for you. If you are here with small kids and want to get away, I would find another place with a few more amenities and newer facilities (ladies, your men will not find as many faults in this hotel as I did). From what I hear, you can’t book this hotel more than 6 months in advance because every year they are “planning an upgrade” and every year they postpone it.

Room Tip: Stay on the second level if you are a skier and you can get right up on the lifts without climbing t...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank vass78
Austin, TX
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Location just can't be beat and great service. Every patron seemed to be having a great time, but I thought I was caught in the 70's. There hasn't been an update to a single piece of furniture in at least 30 years. But at least they keep everything as clean and you are right on the slopes. I would definitely come here again with buddies or my young son. My wife however will never set foot in this place. I would give it 3.5 stars, but don't know how to give a 1/2 star.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 1st floor are only accessible via a very slow elevator. However, if you are in room 12...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends