“Great breakfast, great service!”
Review of Winona's

Winona's
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great breakfast, great service!”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Family of 5 had a great breakfast. We all shared one of the big cinnamon rolls. Omlets were great. Kids liked the eggs.

• Visited August 2013

Castle Rock, Colorado
“Nice location”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Not sure what all the fuss is about. Nice location, good service, sandwich was okay. Maybe breakfast is better, but missed it by 10 minutes. If I can get there for breakfast, will try again.

Visited July 2013
Sunapee, New Hampshire
“Best breakfast menu ever!”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We were in Steamboat Springs for six days and had breakfast here twice. Both
times we were large parties of 9 and 11 respectively and the restaurant was very busy.
Every one raved about the quality and wonderful tastes. I had the granola blueberry pancakes the first time and they simply delicious. Since they are also a bakery that bakes cinnamon rolls I had the cinnamon roll French toast at the second breakfast; it was the best French toast that I have ever eaten.
The service is extraordinary; no matter how busy they seem to be it appears that no one waits over ten to fifteen minutes to be seated and everyone is served quickly. the restaurant has extraordinary management and staff.

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
“Not for Groups, Unfriendly experience”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

During a recent visit with my extended family, the quality of the food could not overcome the disappointment of our experience. In a town that welcomes large groups with open arms, it is a shame that Winona's does not.

Upon our arrival, I was very impressed that they could seat our at group of ten right away. As our server arrived to take our order, we informed her that we would like three separate checks. She curtly informed us that they are unable to do this because they don't have a computer. During our meal, I overheard another server tell ours how to split a check. So I was hopeful that she would take the initiative to do it for us. During our meal, service was timely but not very courteous or attentive. Understandably, there was a lunch rush, but all the interactions I witnessed with our server and others were disingenuous. She also told my wife that she would personally never order the fish and chips.

After our meal, she brought the check with a single total. Fortunately I can do math and was able to quickly split the check for our three families. While doing so, I discovered that the 18% gratuity for parties over 6 was added on top of the tax, which is not the norm and certainly more than I would have paid.

After manually calculating our totals, I approached the counter to pay. The cashier was unable to adequately explain why they are unable to split checks. Further, she had difficulty handling the three separate payments and told me she couldn't accept the tip at the register but when I asked If I could tip less than the 18% she told me I had no choice.

I was so upset with the exchange and the ridiculousness of the experience that I had to walk away before causing a scene. My father-in-law overheard her tell another employee that I was rude. Fortunately he was able to briefly explain that I was just trying to resolve the situation for them.

Overall, if going in a group, they appear to accommodate you, but in the end they are unable to fully serve you while charging a mandatory gratuity so that you can do the calculation and be berated in the process. Very disappointing.

5 Thank scott1979
“Best breakfast around!”
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stopped in to have breakfast and it is so good it had a wait time if about 30 min but this was on a Saturday. The waitstaff was amazing and the good was awesome. I had the lox and bagel and my husband had one if the scrambles. The fruit was fresh as well. You will love it and I highly recommend it.