“Didn't Live Up To The Hype”

Ore House at the Pine Grove
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Serving Steamboat Springs since 1971 * Famous steaks, slow roasted prime rib, fresh seafood and more * Extensive salad bar, gluten-free menu, Sunset menu for early diners * Peaceful patio dining * Groups of 10-275, Romantic dates or family gatherings * Huge parking lot * Cozy atmosphere in 100+ year old barn full of Steamboat history * A tradition in town for generations
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We ate here on the recommendation from a local after we had asked about a good steakhouse. "Best steak in town..." is what we were told. I sure hope that is not the case. We called and got a reservation since there was a group of 12. No one answered so my wife left a message. And hour later or so someone from the restaurant called back and we confirmed for 8:30. We show up right on time and they have no reservation. The place wasn't packed so it turned out not to be a huge deal. We were seated shortly. 15 - 20 minutes into our reservation my wife gets a call from the restaurant asking if we were having trouble finding the restaurant since we hadn't shown up for our reservation. ..... The service we got from our wait (Emrick or Eric, can't remember) was fantastic. He handled our party of 12 with ease. Most everyone ordered some form of steak. I ordered one of the specials which was a stuffed fish meal. Everything leading up to dinner was great. Salad bar was pretty good, they bring bread and cinnamon rolls to the table which were good. Once the meals had arrived everyone was pretty let down. My fish was decent, but nothing to write home about. The steaks however were just not good. I usually pick up steaks from Fresh Market or Whole Foods and am really happy with that quality. However what they served at Ore House looked like it was a steps up from Wal-mart grade. All the steaks were cooked exactly to order and there were not terrible, but everyone was let down. However, everything that came with the entree was really good.

There are newer reviews for Ore House at the Pine Grove

Reviewed March 16, 2013

We went on our last trip to Steamboat, as I was told my first experience there might have been an anomaly. We had reservations, which I do recommend. The baked brie appetizer was very good, and we ordered ribs (excellent, fall off the bone style), the salmon with mango chutney, and the blackened trout. All very good. The salad bar is unusual for the area, but is worth a trip if you like that sort of thing (we do). As noted before in a previous review, the place is expensive, but decent food in a resort location often is. I don't know if I would recommend the apple cobbler to any but the most die hard dessert eater; it was not well presented and cold.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

We ate here for my father in law's birthday while on vacation in Steamboat. The salad bar had a lot of choices which was nice, although I've had better salads at restaurants that plate the salad for you. We all had steak and every one of us was very happy with the cut of meat and how it was cooked, for those of you who eat steak out often you know this isn't always a sure thing. The rest of the plate was the normal assortment of vegetables you might cook yourself at home.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

My son and I took advantage of the "early bird" specials offered from 5-6, and we weren't disappointed. Even though we did not have reservations, we were seated immediately. My son enjoyed the salmon stuffed with sausage and cornbread, and I had the blackened trout. It was yummy. The warm cinnamon buns in the bread basket were unusual for dinner, but they were tasty.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is one of our favorite places to eat in SteamBoat. It is for our "dressy" night and we had reservations. The restaurant was packed. They have a wonderful salad bar that is included with the meal and serve great cinnamon buns along with the meal. The salmon and prime rib were both wounderful.

1  Thank B D