“Great pretzel, great meal”

Mahogany Ridge Brewery and Grill
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Was able to slip through the crowd and dine as a single for dinner last night at the bar. The place was hopping with snotty thirty-something President's Weekenders who don't understand the concept of waiting 90 minutes to dine in a town that is packed to the gills for the week. Adjusting the attitude of the "rudes" sitting to my right was as easy as sharing my Philly Pretzel appetizer with them. The pretzel is so good, they chilled, mellowed, and became friendlier almost immediately. I'm here to tell you (having grown up in Philly) it is not anything like an authentic (stale) Philly street pretzel (3 for a buck). It's way better. It is large enough to share with 2 or 3 persons. It is warm. It is stuffed with cheese and comes with some fantastic mustards...for under $5---a great drink companion, really perfect after working up an appetite on the mountain. For the main course, a fantastic "Yucatan" pork tenderloin served with a fantastic au gratin potato pancake and fresh veggies. The tenderloin is savory, and cooked perfectly. My kudos to the establishment. Tab with tip for two whiskies (one @ happy hour price), pretzel and entree came to $50. I'll be back.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

My husband and I visited on a business trip. My waitress was very friendly and professional. Took her time to go over the menu with us. The food arrived quite fast but unfortunately my meat and scallops were undercooked. My personal preference IS well-done. Anyway, the waitress and manager came right over, rectified the situation. I was especially impressed by how they identified a problem and solved it. Impressive customer service. The service here is really worth the money. I think the management understands how to deliver "fine dining!"

Reviewed February 15, 2014

I had heard this referred to as a "brew pub" - which it is - and so I had downgraded it on my list of places to try. Then I saw a menu in the Steamboat Dining guide and thought - well this menu seems pretty good, let's try it. It was just an unbelievably good meal. I mean: I was blown away. The entrees were creative and tasty. My my brother-in-law was similarly impressed and (just for perspective), between the two of us we have eaten in New York City hundreds of times on business. We have experienced good food. Everything we had here was really great. And the price also reasonable: our bill (two of us) came to $80, which included a couple drinks. (We said to each other - nice to not be in NY, where this meal would be twice $80.) A word about availability: this place is difficult to walk into without reservations. The two of us did it because we could not make reservations and we waited 30 minutes just for 2 people. Larger parties longer. They have a large bar area (which is full, we stood for awhile) and a dining area; lots of people eat in the bar. It was a Friday and they told me they were booked for reservations through the following Wednesday. Follow the locals - that's what my Dad used to say (a restauranteur). The people are coming here and are booking ahead. So - not just our opinion that's it's very good, apparently. Yes it's a brew pub, but the food is hardly just pub food. Next time I'm in Steamboat, I'm calling in advance to get reservations for the family.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Fantastic food - you can see that by all the other reviews. We did not make it reservation but lucked out by getting there at 4:55 on a Thursday. We still had to wait 20 minutes, but well worth the wait. Family friendly, they have a kids menu. Great staff - excellent service. A must if you're on vacation.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

We have lived in Steamboat for 18 years and have never been treated in such a distasteful manner as tonight by the "manager" of this place. We have eaten here before and know it can be difficult to walk in unless you get there real early. They open at 4:00. It was raining/snowing and no place to park for two blocks, so I dropped my 65 year old wife near the door and left to find spot. She walked in at 4:15 and told them I was parking and asked to be seated. The manager was terribly rude and told her that he could not seat her until her husband arrived. There were people at only three tables in the otherwise empty dining area. He basically was calling her a liar when she said that her husband was due shortly, and said that was his policy, period.

When I arrived, we were seated, and I heard from my wife how distressed she was after the treatment by the bearded bespeckled dumpy man who identified himself as the manager. Her account of how she was treated by him was disturbing. I asked to speak to him, and when he showed up, we had a discussion about his policy. I agreed that if we had arrived when the place was nearly full and without a reservation, the policy to seat full parties was sound, but why treat a woman with such disrespect and belligerence, especially when the place was nearly empty? Why not apply some common sense? He was having none of it and continued to exhibit a bullish and offensive attitude, making smart remarks and obviously trying to establish himself as the alfa in the room, not a good trait for an establishment that relies on repeat traffic for business. His behavior was disgusting, and the local owners should do something about it. If this is how he treats customers, how is he treating the staff?

There are plenty of great restaurants in Steamboat Springs, so no needs to be treated like a criminal at this one, and the food is only okay … we left and will never be back. We will tell everyone we know and come across to avoid this place as long as this sorry example of a manager is there.

3  Thank Ron R