“Not so hot”

Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 8th Street
Transit: Lincoln Avenue between 8th and 9th Street.
Description: Fun, casual dining in historic downtown Steamboat Springs, Colorado. The Cantina is one of Steamboat’s oldest dining establishments and serves creative Mexican cuisine and award winning fresh squeezed margaritas for lunch and dinner daily.The highly acclaimed fresh-squeezed margaritas are made with fresh lemons and limes — no sour mix here. Signature items include tequila-fired fajitas served flaming table side; Chimi Cozumel filled with shrimp, mushrooms & spinach topped with jalapeno pesto cream sauce; Carne Asada made with tender buffalo steak; and homemade cinnamon fried ice cream.The Cantina in Steamboat offers a children’s menu, a gluten free menu, a large variety of vegetarian options and plenty of fresh salads and soups.
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Maybe we arrived on a cook in training day, but our dinner was more than disappointing. I had the fish tacos, and when I inquired as to the fish,was told a name (something like "swope") that
I had never heard of. Anyway it was far from appetizing. Worse was my wife's chile rellano
Not only were the peppers tasteless, this meal resulted in a case of the tourista trots the
next morning. Altogether it made for a dismal dining experience

L17efty17, Owner at The Cantina, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Hello,

My name is Jeff, I am the owner/GM of Cantina. Our employees are trained to make sure the food goes out consistently. Our fish tacos get compliments all the time as well as our CR, I say we try this again. Come into the restaurant ask for me (Jeff) or the head chef Omar. We would personally like to make sure your next experience here is a great one. If you do not like your food, I would be happy to buy your meal.. Thanks for the review, its the only way we get better.

Jeff

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Went in with the coupon for Fajita's for 2 for $15.99 deal. Looked at the menu and Fajitas come with guac, sour cream etc. Ours didn't and when we asked the waiter he said that that is the way the special comes. He ended up giving the sides to us, but to do a special and treat it like that is ridiculous. Besides the Fajita's had no taste. The Margaritas were not great either. Having lived in the Boat for 23 years we have been there half a dozen times and now we know why so few and we will never go back. The Rio has great Fajita's and Margs and we've been there at least 10 times in the past year and will continue to go back.

L17efty17, Owner at The Cantina, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2013

Hello,

My name is Jeff LaRoche. I am the owner of Cantina restaurant. I am sorry to hear that the coupon we put out was confusing. We try to cater to the local crowd in the mud seasons by offering specials in the paper routinely, some do well and others aren't that popular. The "fajitas for 2" coupon is a promotion we run to try and give back to the community, it is not a money maker. Your server should have explained to you that the sides are not the same as in our traditional fajitas and I have explained to him that needs to be done with anybody with a coupon for two. David explained to me that you were visibly angry when it was explained to you that the fajitas for 2 deal was different than that on the menu and I am sorry to hear that. I personally believe that it is the best deal in town and we are the only mexican restaurant that serves top sirloin with our fajitas rather than a cheaper meat. We regularly have great feedback on our fajitas and most people really enjoy them. Again, sorry your experience here was sub par, I invite you to come back and try us again and if you dont like your meal I will personally buy your food back from you. Thats how confident I am in it. If you choose to come back please ask for me (Jeff) or Omar the head chef.

Jeff LaRoche

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Unlike so many Mexican eateries Cantina offers "light" choices. The light burrito I had was small with brown rice, beans and grilled chicken with a scant amount of cheese sauce and it was extremely good. Son, daughter-in-law and husband all were very pleased. Pleasant and efficient wait staff...perfect for a Friday dinner after a visit to the hot springs!

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Excellent restaurant! Food was amazing, great service, very clean! Family friendly! One of my favorite things we ate to start with was the nachos, followed by the fajitas! We also had a few margaritas.

1  Thank Sadimay00
Reviewed May 17, 2013

when I plan my trips to steamboat springs, I KNOW the cantina is on my list! just walking in the front door I can feel the local vibe, then quickly the wonderful aromas come filtering thru to the bar. The cantina's food is exceptional Mexican fare, more authentic than MOST American-Mexican restaurants we dine at. thank you for the years (30+) of tons of fun, good friends and laughs....NOT to mention wonderful meals!!!

1  Thank barbarabaxter