“Great Experience”

Snow Buddy Dog Sled Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Snow Buddy Dog Sled Tours is a family owned and operated dog sled tour business located outside Oak Creek, CO - 45 minutes from Steamboat Springs and 1 hour 15 minutes from the Vail Valley . We treat every guest like a member of our family! Our adventures are an intimate, personalized and completely hands-on experience from start to finish. If you want to get away from the busy slopes for a day and experience something truly unique, Snow Buddy Dog Sled Tours is the operation for you! We operate on gorgeous Dunckley Pass in the Routt National Forest and our scenery can't be beat. Colorado's # 1 choice in dog sled adventures!
Reviewed March 11, 2014

My wife and two kids ages 12 & 8 had a great time on our dog sledding adventure during spring break. We researched a few activities and decided on snow buddy tours, for 1 because we had never done one before, and we decided on snow buddy because of other fellow reviewers.
Reservations were made very easily over the phone, good communication and clear expectations were set for us.
Weather was lightly snowing as we left our condo in steamboat. Sara met us about 10 minutes away from the trail at an easy meeting spot, she greeted us all in a caring manner. Our spoiled rotten kids were already complaining about cold toes, and she immediately offered up some toewarmers.
Upon arriving at the trail, we met Sara's husband and were introduced to the dogs, all very well mannered dogs. We were taught to harness them, safety briefing for the trip and away we went.
The trip was incredible, We dog sledded through aspen trees, up, down and through winding trails for a few hours and never saw another soul - it felt like something out of a movie. Our kids that always have some sort of technology in their hands were actually smiling, they couldn't stop. My youngest tried to race the dog sled team on foot ( and lost ), Sara helped my oldest 12 year old son drive the sled down the hill, and my wife and I spent a few hours together without strangling each other. Halfway through, we stopped, and visited for a little bit at a cabin in the woods. You quickly come to realize that what makes the experience so great is the people that run it. They took their time to make sure we enjoyed ours, and that meant a lot- that along with their great dog teams, and their caring demeanor- we hope to revisit them with more family and friends over the years to come.

-Donny and Angie Couto

"steamboat area"
"bucket list"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed March 9, 2014

Two friends and myself wanted to take a sled dog tour. We connected with Sarah on the phone after looking at their internet site. This turned out to be a small business run by two people. They picked us up in Steamboat which was 45 minutes to an hour away. We were able to help put the harnesses on the dogs and could take a turn at driving the sled if we wished. Sarah and Dan have a real love for this sport and it shows in every way. They obviously care for their animals and love to share them with their guests. I never felt rushed in anyway--they made us feel like a part of their family. If you are nearby and want to go sled dog riding, I would not hesitate to recommend Snow Buddy.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

We were at Steamboat for skiing and decided to try out dog sledding. Choosing Dan and Sara to be our guides was the best decision. One of the very nicest parts of the morning we spent with them was the location in the Routt National Forest away from all the crowds. The setting with the fresh snow from the night before was absolutely beautiful. We participated in helping get the dogs into their harnesses and driving the sleds. It is clear that the dogs are loved and well cared for and they absolutely love to pull the sleds. The treats and conversation in the small cabin in the woods with a few of the dogs cuddled up with us was an extra treat. I heartily recommend this adventure to anyone.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

I spent a wonderful day yesterday with Sarah and Dan, 17 of their beautiful dogs and just three other guests enjoying a dog sledding experience. It is so much more than just a ride. We learned about the care of the dogs and how they were acquired, with some being retired racing dogs, during the ride. It was great that they provide a pick up service. When we arrived in the flat tops, the dogs were waiting and raring to go. We had the opportunity to help harness them, all the time playing with and fussing them too. The sled ride was through the beautiful National Forest land. We met no-one else so it was very peaceful. I had intended just riding in the sled but was persuaded by Sarah to try mushing and loved every minute. We spent a happy half hour in their cabin in the woods enjoying hot drinks and home baked treats. A couple of the huskies came in to relax too! Most of them however, played and rolled in the snow while they recharged their batteries for the run home. I took another dog sled tour 4 years ago with a rival company. What makes Snow Buddies the best? It is the genuine mutual love between the owners and their dogs who are obviously so well cared for. It was great to be in the flat tops in the woods rather then on a flat circuit in a field. It was the sharing of stories about the sled dogs but also other animals that have touched the lives of Sarah and Dan. That is what makes this experience so special. I went alone as my husband and friends were skiing and was made very welcome. I was so excited to tell them about my experience and show the many photos and I suspect we will all be visiting snow buddies next time we come to Steamboat.

See more reviews
Reviewed March 4, 2014

This was a great experience each and every step along the way hosted by Sarah and Dan, who are passionate about their dogs and the experience they can provide. First and foremost, I can't recommend this enough!

I called very last minute in December before the official Steamboat tourist season kicks off and Sarah called me back immediately. She was very accommodating and set us up for two sleds in the morning. My father joined my wife and I and he has limited sight, immediately Sarah let us know she could drive him in a sled while my wife and I did another sled.

The weather was extremely cold and snowy the morning of our event, so Sarah met us in the town close to their trail and brought us up the mountain with dogs to sit on our lap and play (on the ride back, we also had a dog companion because you can never have too many dogs). The experience starts with meeting the very well cared for and loved dogs and after getting all hooked up a wonderful trip up the mountain. I was able to drive the sled myself and felt comfortable the whole time. After reaching the top, we had some cookies and hot chocolate and then came back down. It was a beautiful and scenic trail with very excited and happy dogs.

At the end and the beginning we were able to participate as much as we wanted with feeding and harnessing the dogs and just got to play with the dogs. We learned about the dogs, how they are taught to race, and all the details in between.

Sarah and Dan were gracious hosts and their love of these dogs really shines. Don't think about it, just do it. You won't forget the experience.