“Awesome Place to stay on the Mountain”

Bear Claw Condominiums
“Awesome Place to stay on the Mountain”
Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

I was so pleasantly surprised by the great accommodations & service at Bear Claw. I booked our accommodation for a spring break thru Steamboat Central Res and was able to book lift tickets, rental & condo - it was so easy.

Things to consider:
1. Very easy ski-in ski-out
2. Condos are very well equipped plus have daily maid service - huge bonus while on vacation!
3. The free shuttle service is great will take you into town etc. huge plus!
4. Two hot tubs plus heated pool - great for after a day of skiing.
5. There is a lounge for après ski.

There are many options for places to stay in Steamboat but I would def recommend Bear Claw - service was superb!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Chathamjules

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Reviewed March 6, 2014

We recently stayed at the Bear Claw II in a corner unit. The property is perfect with ski in/ ski out. We had 4 adults and 2 children staying there. Needless to say, we had more than enough room. There are lockers near the elevator for each unit. You can store all you ski equipment in there. I was able to sit at the kitchen table and watch my children ski down Preview and LIttle Stampede with the ski school. The shuttle service was wonderful. They were always available with little notice. The shuttle drivers were extremely polite and more than willing to take you where you needed to go. I can't imagine staying anywhere else. We will definitely stay there in the future.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Heather G
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

Absolutely the best location on the mountain! Ski down to the lifts, enjoy the beautiful views. Shuttle to everywhere but the airport. Units are individually owned but very well appointed and equipped. Love it here!

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank nec429
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 12, 2014

I usually am the one who plans our annual "guys only" ski trip. With 5 guys, there are a few logistics that are specific to this kind of group that I have to consider. Here are some of the things that we wanted to be certain to consider:

1. Guys don't like to share beds - we needed 5 beds.
2. We wanted "true" ski-in / ski-out convenience - not having to pole for 500 yards to get back to the condo, nor lug our skis any distance to be able to start skiing.
3. We wanted a real furnished kitchen so we didn't have to eat out at every meal
4. Hot tub that wasn't overcrowded or inconvenient to access
5. Reasonably priced
6. Great skiing

The final result: mission accomplished - all goals met or exceeded. This was one of the best ski vacations we have ever taken and we have skied all over Utah, Summit County, CO, Montana, Nevada and California. This was a fantastic vacation that everyone in our party agreed was as close to perfect as we had any right to expect.

They made everything incredibly easy for us - on arrival, they accompanied us to our condo to show us where it was and how to get to it, the ski locker and they had even provided a fresh bowl of fruit and had cold beer and bottled water already waiting for us in the fridge!

The condo was beautiful, well maintained, with high-quality bedding and comfortable mattresses; big soft towels in the bathrooms and a big screen TV with Blu-Ray disc player. The master BR had a king-sized bed, the second BR had a queen and a single bed and the third BR had two twin beds - everyone was happy with the availability of individual sleeping! I understand that the property also has 4 and perhaps even 5 BR units available on a limited basis.

Shortly after arriving, the concierge rental ski service called to say they were on the way to DELIVER our rental skis! One of the guys in our group jokingly asked if they would pick us up another 12-pack of beer on the way as a joke - but the tech just said, "Sure! What brand do you like?" WOW! Sure enough, two guys from the rental ski place soon showed up at our condo with a cold 12-pack and with everything they needed to fit us all for rental skis! Once all 5 of us were fitted for skis, boots, poles and helmets, they helped haul all our gear to the ski locker next to the elevator. At the end of our stay, they told us just to leave our gear in the ski locker and forget it... They came and picked it all up for us - NO HASSLE!! I love these guys!

Each day we would simply walk down the hall to our ski locker and put on our boots (lots of benches next to the lockers) then get on the elevator and go to the second floor, stepping out of the elevator, and through the double doors you were immediately slope-side and just stepped into the bindings and went downhill about 200 yards to the Christie Peak Express lift. To ski back to the condo you can ski right up to the door. 100% easy and hassle-free. OH - night-skiing lifts and runs are also just outside the door.

The Bearclaw 2 condo building is where we stayed. It's newer - unit 1 is a bit older. In our building, on the same level where you access the slopes to ski - there is a cash bar that opens every day at 3 and stays open until 10 serving beer, wine mixed drinks and free hors d'ourves. It is also immediately adjacent to the hot tubs (2) and pool and sauna - and the bartenders are awesome and super friendly! (Shout-out to Molly who kept bringing us drinks to the hot-tub even when my slightly buzzed companions kept hitting on her - she was super nice and totally professional.) It was awesome to step out of the hot tub and then inside into the dry sauna to dry off and warm up after emerging from the hot water into the cold air.

Since we didn't have a rental car, I was initially skeptical and concerned about transportation to dinner and how to get groceries, etc. I was VERY surprised and thankful for a wonderful shuttle service run by the condo and staffed by some great drivers who happily ran us on errands or out to dinner and never made us wait more than a few minutes - most of the time when we would call for a ride they were already waiting to take us immediately or within 5-10 minutes. They tell you to call 30 minutes before you actually need a ride, but never did we wait more than 10 minutes.

I made our arrangements through Steamboat Central Reservations, and by booking early (in late September or early October) we were able to secure a deeply discounted rate on a package that included a 3-BR / 2-BA condo that overlooked the slopes and delivered the true ski-in/out that we wanted, also included rental skis, lift passes, and round trip transportation from and back to the Hayden airport. They even mailed us our lift passes in advance so we never stood in line to buy lift passes or get rental skis. They made it SO easy we could only wonder why it isn't like this everywhere?

I loved everything about this vacation - from central reservations and the booking process, to the condo itself, the hot tub, the helpful staff, the fantastic snow and world-class skiing. Everyone in my group agreed this was a top-notch experience and we will definitely come back to this location and this condo facility again!

If I could give 6 stars, I would.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Mark R
Arlington Heights, Illinois
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Skiing with a 5 and 7 year old should not be this easy! We were more than impressed with Bear Claw and everybody that worked there. After a long day of travel, Ben kindly checked us in and walked us to our room to show us around. He was very helpful and made us feel right at home. The room was perfect for our family with plenty of organized storage for all of our ski gear. It took just a couple of minutes to ski straight down to ski school for the kids. My daughter is a beginner skier and we had no trouble getting her down the hill. Just as easy to get her back to condo off the chair lift when we were done for the day. Another thing that made the trip really feel like vacation was the shuttle. We never waited more than 10 minutes to be picked up or dropped off wherever we needed to go. It was so nice to never have to drive anywhere! Housekeeping was also wonderful. Whatever dishes I didn't have a chance to do in the morning were clean by the time we returned. The room has a beautiful fireplace and was very cozy, just what you want after a day on the slopes. The pool, hot tubs and lounge were also wonderful after a day of skiing. Can't wait to return!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I booked my family vacation in august for february. I booked it at a time that they were offering 20% off of lift tickets. I paid for the room in full in august and was told to pay for the lift tickets by December 15. I called to pay for the lift tickets on the 13th. They told me that I opted not to add lift tickets in august. I have been to bear claw for the past two years as well, each year booking the same deal. I said that they must have made a mistake. I added lift tickets, but opted not to pay for them until later, which I was told was ok. She told me that I had to have paid for them in august. We have always gone on this vacation with another family and they had paid for their lift tickets the day before I called, so this was a complete lie. When I asked to speak to her manager she wouldn't let me. FInally after asking 5 or 6 times, I was put on hold for 20 minutes. I finally spoke to the GM, Bob. He too was very rude, laughing at me because I was upset that I feel like I have been a loyal customer and booked the same vacation for the previous 2 years, and the lady that booked my information made a mistake. They are willing to do nothing. I will never go back and am disgusted at the way I was treated!!! There are many other nice condos in Steamboat, I would suggest anywhere else!

Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Stix S
Evergreen, CO
Reviewed January 30, 2012

While we expected our condo to be ski in/ski out (and it was, but there was a lock on the deck so we couldn't get out) the building was. When we called to ask about the lock on the deck and if we could have it removed, I was snapped at and told that I was supposed to be putting my skis in the locker anyway. Still don't understand why we weren't allowed to wear our ski boots to the room, but it was a minor inconvenience.

They had a shuttle to town, which we did not use. The pool and hot tub(s) were fabulous after a hard day skiing.

They had cribs available for $5/night and they were good and sturdy, even supplied the sheet and a blanket. Walls were thin, though, so with two sick babies made it hard to sleep. Also, the kids running up and down the hall upstairs felt like they were in our condo. Being a teacher, I had no issue asking them to stop (which they didn't, but that's not the condo's fault!)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family