“Outstanding Ski In/Out Condo!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Steamboat Springs
Bear Claw Condominiums
Atlanta, Georgia
“Outstanding Ski In/Out Condo!”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

I usually am the one who plans our annual "guys only" ski trip. With 5 guys, there are a few logistics that are specific to this kind of group that I have to consider. Here are some of the things that we wanted to be certain to consider:

1. Guys don't like to share beds - we needed 5 beds.
2. We wanted "true" ski-in / ski-out convenience - not having to pole for 500 yards to get back to the condo, nor lug our skis any distance to be able to start skiing.
3. We wanted a real furnished kitchen so we didn't have to eat out at every meal
4. Hot tub that wasn't overcrowded or inconvenient to access
5. Reasonably priced
6. Great skiing

The final result: mission accomplished - all goals met or exceeded. This was one of the best ski vacations we have ever taken and we have skied all over Utah, Summit County, CO, Montana, Nevada and California. This was a fantastic vacation that everyone in our party agreed was as close to perfect as we had any right to expect.

They made everything incredibly easy for us - on arrival, they accompanied us to our condo to show us where it was and how to get to it, the ski locker and they had even provided a fresh bowl of fruit and had cold beer and bottled water already waiting for us in the fridge!

The condo was beautiful, well maintained, with high-quality bedding and comfortable mattresses; big soft towels in the bathrooms and a big screen TV with Blu-Ray disc player. The master BR had a king-sized bed, the second BR had a queen and a single bed and the third BR had two twin beds - everyone was happy with the availability of individual sleeping! I understand that the property also has 4 and perhaps even 5 BR units available on a limited basis.

Shortly after arriving, the concierge rental ski service called to say they were on the way to DELIVER our rental skis! One of the guys in our group jokingly asked if they would pick us up another 12-pack of beer on the way as a joke - but the tech just said, "Sure! What brand do you like?" WOW! Sure enough, two guys from the rental ski place soon showed up at our condo with a cold 12-pack and with everything they needed to fit us all for rental skis! Once all 5 of us were fitted for skis, boots, poles and helmets, they helped haul all our gear to the ski locker next to the elevator. At the end of our stay, they told us just to leave our gear in the ski locker and forget it... They came and picked it all up for us - NO HASSLE!! I love these guys!

Each day we would simply walk down the hall to our ski locker and put on our boots (lots of benches next to the lockers) then get on the elevator and go to the second floor, stepping out of the elevator, and through the double doors you were immediately slope-side and just stepped into the bindings and went downhill about 200 yards to the Christie Peak Express lift. To ski back to the condo you can ski right up to the door. 100% easy and hassle-free. OH - night-skiing lifts and runs are also just outside the door.

The Bearclaw 2 condo building is where we stayed. It's newer - unit 1 is a bit older. In our building, on the same level where you access the slopes to ski - there is a cash bar that opens every day at 3 and stays open until 10 serving beer, wine mixed drinks and free hors d'ourves. It is also immediately adjacent to the hot tubs (2) and pool and sauna - and the bartenders are awesome and super friendly! (Shout-out to Molly who kept bringing us drinks to the hot-tub even when my slightly buzzed companions kept hitting on her - she was super nice and totally professional.) It was awesome to step out of the hot tub and then inside into the dry sauna to dry off and warm up after emerging from the hot water into the cold air.

Since we didn't have a rental car, I was initially skeptical and concerned about transportation to dinner and how to get groceries, etc. I was VERY surprised and thankful for a wonderful shuttle service run by the condo and staffed by some great drivers who happily ran us on errands or out to dinner and never made us wait more than a few minutes - most of the time when we would call for a ride they were already waiting to take us immediately or within 5-10 minutes. They tell you to call 30 minutes before you actually need a ride, but never did we wait more than 10 minutes.

I made our arrangements through Steamboat Central Reservations, and by booking early (in late September or early October) we were able to secure a deeply discounted rate on a package that included a 3-BR / 2-BA condo that overlooked the slopes and delivered the true ski-in/out that we wanted, also included rental skis, lift passes, and round trip transportation from and back to the Hayden airport. They even mailed us our lift passes in advance so we never stood in line to buy lift passes or get rental skis. They made it SO easy we could only wonder why it isn't like this everywhere?

I loved everything about this vacation - from central reservations and the booking process, to the condo itself, the hot tub, the helpful staff, the fantastic snow and world-class skiing. Everyone in my group agreed this was a top-notch experience and we will definitely come back to this location and this condo facility again!

If I could give 6 stars, I would.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Mark R

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Arlington Heights, Illinois
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Skiing with a 5 and 7 year old should not be this easy! We were more than impressed with Bear Claw and everybody that worked there. After a long day of travel, Ben kindly checked us in and walked us to our room to show us around. He was very helpful and made us feel right at home. The room was perfect for our family with plenty of organized storage for all of our ski gear. It took just a couple of minutes to ski straight down to ski school for the kids. My daughter is a beginner skier and we had no trouble getting her down the hill. Just as easy to get her back to condo off the chair lift when we were done for the day. Another thing that made the trip really feel like vacation was the shuttle. We never waited more than 10 minutes to be picked up or dropped off wherever we needed to go. It was so nice to never have to drive anywhere! Housekeeping was also wonderful. Whatever dishes I didn't have a chance to do in the morning were clean by the time we returned. The room has a beautiful fireplace and was very cozy, just what you want after a day on the slopes. The pool, hot tubs and lounge were also wonderful after a day of skiing. Can't wait to return!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I booked my family vacation in august for february. I booked it at a time that they were offering 20% off of lift tickets. I paid for the room in full in august and was told to pay for the lift tickets by December 15. I called to pay for the lift tickets on the 13th. They told me that I opted not to add lift tickets in august. I have been to bear claw for the past two years as well, each year booking the same deal. I said that they must have made a mistake. I added lift tickets, but opted not to pay for them until later, which I was told was ok. She told me that I had to have paid for them in august. We have always gone on this vacation with another family and they had paid for their lift tickets the day before I called, so this was a complete lie. When I asked to speak to her manager she wouldn't let me. FInally after asking 5 or 6 times, I was put on hold for 20 minutes. I finally spoke to the GM, Bob. He too was very rude, laughing at me because I was upset that I feel like I have been a loyal customer and booked the same vacation for the previous 2 years, and the lady that booked my information made a mistake. They are willing to do nothing. I will never go back and am disgusted at the way I was treated!!! There are many other nice condos in Steamboat, I would suggest anywhere else!

Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Stix S
Evergreen, CO
Reviewed January 30, 2012

While we expected our condo to be ski in/ski out (and it was, but there was a lock on the deck so we couldn't get out) the building was. When we called to ask about the lock on the deck and if we could have it removed, I was snapped at and told that I was supposed to be putting my skis in the locker anyway. Still don't understand why we weren't allowed to wear our ski boots to the room, but it was a minor inconvenience.

They had a shuttle to town, which we did not use. The pool and hot tub(s) were fabulous after a hard day skiing.

They had cribs available for $5/night and they were good and sturdy, even supplied the sheet and a blanket. Walls were thin, though, so with two sick babies made it hard to sleep. Also, the kids running up and down the hall upstairs felt like they were in our condo. Being a teacher, I had no issue asking them to stop (which they didn't, but that's not the condo's fault!)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank mitchpcv
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed January 17, 2012

We just returned from a trip to Steamboat. Been traveling to Steamboat many years - - first time to stay in the Bear Claw property. First and foremost, the location is truly ski in/ski out. You can literally ski up to the back door of the condominium building. Super convenient and that is certainly this property's greatest asset. We stayed in a two-bedroom 5th floor unit (515) in Bear Claw II facing the ski slopes. It wasn't glamourous but was certainly adequately furnished and had everything we needed (including nice, new and big TVs to watch the NFL playoffs.) The view was fantastic.

Any "lack of glam" was completely overshadowed by the staff. They were great. Can't say enough good things about them. When we first checked in, the young man giving us a tour of the unit noticed we didn't have a wireless router in the condo. He said he'd look for one and return later. We thought it might be a hollow promise until, lo and behold, 30 minutes later he knocked on our door to plug in a wireless router for us. Complimentary bottle of wine in our unit and a basket of fruit was a nice touch. On our second morning, somebody accidentally took one of our set of skis from the outside rack. Robin (and others) quickly called to set our skier up with a loaner set of skis and poles and then literally searched all of the ski lockers until they found our skis. Unfortunately, there was an elevator malfunction during our stay. All of the staff went out of their way to help tired skiers carry boots/skis/poles to the ski lockers.

The shuttle is very convenient. We never had to wait more than 5-10 minutes whether we were coming or going. It seemed to run much faster than some of the other properties (probably because it's not shared among many condos.) Pool/hot tub were nice and convenient. Also, there's a lounge/bar that opens up in the afternoons. Very cozy, big TV and friendly bartender.

Overall, Bear Claw II is a great choice in Steamboat. We are spoiled now by the convenience and will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Definitely get a room with a slope view.
Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank GirlUnderPar
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 22, 2011

My first trip to steamboat so no expense was spared. If I had to rate the accomodation without location it would be a 3 out of 5. The only reason it got a 4 was because of the very friendly and helpful staff and great location (if you do NOT want to haul your stuff around and do not want to be in the middle of all the condos ). Rooms are perfectly fine but bathrooms v small. Decor is rustic and comfy, not modern glam. If the ceilings were higher it would help, but this is what you get from an older building. First room had a flat screen but the eventual 3 bedroom had an old tv. One drawback is no washer dryer in the unit, but there are machines in the building. Service is excellent but my unit had a lot of small issues: fireplace pilot needed to be fixed, refrigerator was not working, cleaning staff did not remove recyclables, and was told to stop using the second bath due to plumbing issues below. All except the last are reasonable and were addressed immediately. The plumbing was addressed quickly but imagine paying high season costs to only have them tell you that you cannot use any part of the bathroom! We were in a 3 bedroom, 2 bath with 7 people. The management did offer some compensation but only after prompting. No work out facility also. Now the +: best location but if you have small kids at ski school who cannot ride the chairlift home alone, you have to stand in line to take the lift back. Fantastic staff and shuttle service - both rated high 9. Definitely do not need a car! Ski lockers on each floor are convenient. The schlep factor is v low literally ski up tothe door, walk maybe 20/25 steps to the elevator then 5 steps to your ski locker. Very quiet facility away from the masses of people at the base. Kitchen well stocked (Teflon pans and kid friendly cups would be a plus but not a big deal) , mattresses in our room 516 were awesome. I am v picky so this is a huge plus. There was no wireless but they put in a router. Overall a nice stay. Since it was my first time to Steamboat, I may try a more modern slopeside accommodation next time. One thing I do know is that there is no better location or service when needed. Just a shame I had to keep calling them for assistance with broken items while on vacation. Amy and Robin were both so very helpful. All the shuttle drivers should be commended as well.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the slopes. It's fun to watch people ski and also see the conditions of...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Colby K
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Been to the Boat 3 times, booking # 4 very soon, we stayed at another place once, wont do that again, Loved everything about the Bear Claw and cant wait to get back. I booked my first trip to the Boat by chance with Bear Claw, must have been my lucky day.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple