“Awesome resort at the foot of the mountain!”

The Steamboat Grand
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Steamboat Springs
Reviewed August 8, 2009

This resort is very upscale and very elegant in a rustic sort of way. When we arrived the bellhops met us at the car and took our bags to our room while we checked in. The lobby is beautiful and huge with waterfalls and a 3 story fireplace in the center. We rented a 1 bedroom condo because the hotel room option they had, seemed a little small for 4 of us. The condo was perfect, roomy and well appointed with a full kitchen, fireplace, deck, large bathroom and daybeds on either side of the fireplace. It was also spot-less. Large, thick robes were waiting for us in the bathroom. The resort is awesome, it has a very well equipped health club with sauna and steamrooms. It has a large heated pool that the kids loved and 2 of the most enormous hot tubs we have ever seen. We used the spa once for a massage which was great but a little pricey. The Grands' main dining room is The Cabin which serves excellent food in a very fine dining atmosphere but also is rather pricey. The main reason we came was of course the mountain, which is huge!. The skiing was spectacular, new snow 5 out of our 7 days. Very easy to navigate with a good mix of green, blue and black runs. The temp in late March is also comfortable. The town of Steamboat Springs is definately worth visiting. Very friendly with lots of shops, restuarants and art galleries. Authentic western feel with all the real ranching that is still operating throughout the valley. Old Town Pub and Mahogany Ridge a great resaurants in town. Don't miss Fish Creek Falls! This is definately a resort we can,t wait to come back too!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed July 30, 2009

So my husband had a conference for one night so I decided to join him and then we where going to enjoy Steamboat the night after that before his other meetings. SOOOOO we get to the hotel looks nice from the outside fairly new we were excited....UNTIL!! We go and ask for a glass of wine and we were giving an option of RED WHITE OR PINK!! (really?) Ok so there wine is horrible ....vodka soda....except they want me to take it out of this tiny tiny bar and give the glass back because they dont have enough! I am not in college....so we move on.....we go out for dinner at this amazing place Bistro CV. Come back and go to sleep............with the WORST pillows on the planet!!!! THE WORST!!! We call and ask for soft pillows..............they dont have any!! This massive massive hotel doesnt have a variety of pillows................ok we go to sleep. We wake up I order room service and ask for 2 hard bolied eggs the man in room service sounds confused...how do I make that ? I thought for a moment that he was kidding.....so i explain to him how to "boil an egg" then i ask for coffee with toast and water with lemons. So then the food comes and he has poached the eggs but not fully cook the actual egg whites, no coffee, however I have 2 pots of water with lemon in them....however no cup! and 2 glasses of ice water!! I almost forgot the best part......I asked him for a bottle of Pellegrino....he asked me if that was wine!! W O W! Ok so then I put the cart outside and bag it..........I go and get work done work out and come back to the room....still havent cleaned my room....so I call and ask to have my room cleaned and leave again come back a few hours later and still bed not made dished still there call again!! They told me they did send someone down to empty the trash and put new towels in the room. I said impossible there are dishes here and the bed isnt made. So they finally send someone down!!! The next day I decided to go out by the pool read and get some lunch!!! W O W!!! I think my niece can cook better than this!!! Thier hummus was insanly horrible!!! the chips were soggy....seriously.........B A D!! The service was horrible the food was horrible the beds were horrible. I wouldnt ever stay there again !!!! I have traveled all over the world and stayed in amazing places and some not so amazing places........this was by far the worst hotel on the planet!!!

also as an added bonus no water pressure!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank clearys05
Reviewed May 4, 2009

Contrary to some of the reviews for the Grand Hotel, Steamboat Springs, ours was a good experience. The staff were friendly and helpful, the room was clean and comfortable. It was low season and we enjoyed having the place - especially the pools - almost to ourselves! Our breakfast eggs were freshly made right in front of us. Our only complaint is that because the hotel was not busy we had to get a "breakfast receipt" before we could order breakfast and this entailed going down the corridor to the coffee shop, placing our order, getting a receipt and then returning to the breakfast room! Other than that, we were very happy with our stay which was towards the end of April 2009. We can also recommend an excellent restaurant in Steamboat Springs - bistro cv - where we had a really superb meal on our last night.

1  Thank Andy08London
Reviewed April 7, 2009

I traveled to Colorado last June for a family vacation through an RCI trade. So, if you are member you know that Tripadvisor seems to be the place to find out the value of your your potential trade. Based on the other reviews, I thought it would be alright, however it was much better. The suite was very spacious for 2 adults/2 kids. Full Kitchen, living room and then two twin beds along the outside wall seperated by a gas fireplace. The bedroom was private and down the hall. I thought the layout was great. The furishings were new and the unit was well cared for and very clean. The amenties of the hotel consisted of a great outdoor pool and two hot tubs, a work out room and the Spa had good services for off-season. We used the concierge for Rodeo tickets and recommendations for horseback riding. The hotel was pricey in the main dining room, the pub was better but very limited menu and their was a Starbucks. I definitely recommend "Freshies" about 1.5 miles away on the Main Road to Steamboat we ate there forn breakfast almost everyday.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Jo Maine
Reviewed March 29, 2009

Overall it’s a nice hotel which could do better given that we paid over $400 a night for a one-bedroom condominium. The fee for our entire stay was immediately taken when we made reservations 3 weeks in advance but our request for a room facing the ski slopes was disregarded. The woman at the front desk was unhelpful and robotic, having us wait over 30 minutes as she “worked” on finding us the type of room we requested (she was unable to do so).

The fabric on the furniture was torn and the sofa sleeper was uncomfortable.

We received 2 complimentary breakfast buffets, but being 4 people, we paid $32 for two breakfast buffets. Quite a steep price for a breakfast buffet just a little bit better than a continental breakfast.

This could be a great place to stay IF they paid attention to some of the details.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Colorado-Trip99
Reviewed February 21, 2009

This was my family's second year at the Steamboat Grand. We arrived at the airport and were picked up by Alpine Taxi, which were very friendly. On our trip back to the airport, their driver took us to a few notable sites in Steamboat and described the history of the town.

When we arrived at the Grand, the bellstand attendants were very quick to take our bags and deliver them to the room. The hotel decor is very Western/Cowboy themed, which was great since we live in New York. The hotel is immaculate. We stayed in a two bedroom suite, which was comprised of one living room, a room with two double beds, and a room with a king sized bed. There was a nice kitchen and a large dining table. We could have easily slept 10 people in our rooms because each couch is a pullout. The beds, pillows, and linens were comfortable. We had three televisions and two fireplaces.

The hotel pool and hot tubs were the highlight of the trip for my three daughters. After a long day of skiing, they were very warm and large. They also sit outside on a platform, so the experience is very special.

The convenience to the mountain cannot be beat. The base of the mountain is across the street. With small children, this was absolutely crucial. We were able to go back and forth from the mountain in 5 minutes. There is free ski and boot storage at the base of the mountain. The attendants there are very quick and friendly.

Everyone that we came into contact with at the mountain went out of their way to be friendly and helpful. We love skiing Steamboat!

The one downside to the Grand is the food situation. There is a small cafe that serves pre-made sandwiches, bagels and Starbucks coffee. There is also a cafe that opens for lunch and serves pub food. We had a difficult time finding a healthy light lunch. The breakfast is actually very disappointing also. It is a free buffet, but the food is terrible. They serve powdered eggs, heavy breakfast food. There is very little selection for someone looking for a healthy breakfast. The fruit was melon and pineapple every day.

The spa is great. I had two massages, which were amazing. One was the Ashiatsu, where they walk on your back. It felt so good for my sore muscles!

The staff there is very friendly and accomodating. Overall, we loved our stay there, and will probably return for a third time next year.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Elizabeth R
Reviewed February 16, 2009

My wife and I stayed for the third year in a row for a conference. We have the same problem every year booking rooms. The hotel is set up as multiple 3 - room suites. The center room is a living room/kitchen with fireplace. On one side of that room is a bedroom with two queens and on the other side of that room is a "master bedroom" which contains a king bed and fireplace and master bathroom. The master bedroom essentially fits the bed only, there is no additional room. So, if you are a couple staying there and want a king bed, you will receive a tiny room. Otherwise, the other option is a room with two beds. Of course, you have to pay extra for the living room/kitchen.
The hotel location is conveniently located across from the base of the gondola and the complimentary ski storage is nice. However, service is always poor in this hotel. For example, our first full day there, the room was not cleaned by the time we returned at 5 pm. Also, we did not receive our bath robes. Furthermore, in two visits to the hot tub, no towels were available. They were "being washed". This occured during February when the hotel was not at full capacity. Other issues are that there is nowhere to eat a light lunch inside the hotel. Overall, the hotel is in a good location but for the prices they charge and their claim that they are a 4-star hotel, I would rather stay elsewhere. My wife and I will never return since we are done with the annual conference.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business