“Did not like it here”

Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Steamboat Springs
Indiana
“Did not like it here”
Reviewed January 17, 2009

My husband and I like to try different ski resorts so this was our first trip to Steamboat. Not knowing exactly how conveniently located the various condos were to the gondola (the Steamboat.com map was terrible!), we figured we were safe going with the Grand.

With the exception of our airline tickets, we booked everything through central reservations. We used Alpine Taxi to get us from the airport to the Grand - which was a great ride. I would recommend them to anyone. Check in was a breeze, the bellmen were quite helpful.

We booked a one bedroom condo. The kitchenette was tiny - which was okay because it was just the two of us. However, the stove top was quite dirty, the coffee pot leaked, the ice-maker wouldn't quit making ice, the refrigerator froze everything no matter how much we turned it down. The main room was enormous but sparsely decorated. The "fireplace" did not work. The bedroom was very spacious as was the bathroom. Don't forget your toiletries because there are less amenities in the room/bathroom than you would normally find at a less expensive chain hotel (Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn, etc.). The heating system in the room was a nightmare! Apparently there is a heating system in the floor as well as central heating. The floor system had no way of being turned off or down. It was very uncomfortable. Because they tell you not to leave the balcony door open, we had to turn the air-conditioner on to cold in order to cool down the room. Sleeping was miserable because of the heat. The only thing maintenance did was to turn the air-conditioning colder.

On the plus side, the Grand is conveniently located to the gondola and slopes. The storage facility near the gondola was very nice. We used a ski delivery service which actually came to our room to fit our boots to skis. With the exception of a tip to the guys who brought our skis, the price was the same as with any other ski rental shop. It was very convenient. The shuttle service at the hotel was also very nice. The drivers were very accomodating and personable, they did everything they could to make you comfortable. That was, quite possibly, the best part of this resort.

This is a lovely facility, but certainly, in my opinion, not worth the price of a full-service hotel/condo. Next time we will look for a simple condo without all the bells & whistles of a luxury resort that actually lives up to our expectations.

• Liked — Proximity to the gondola
  • Disliked — It didn't live up to our expectations
  • Stayed January 2009
2 Thank ZLulu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Gainesville, Georgia
Reviewed January 1, 2009

We just got back from our first trip to Steamboat and loved it! Staying at the Grand was just awesome. All of the employees were very friendly. The hotel is beautiful and incredibly convenient to the slopes. I was very pleased with our room and would definitely stay here again. I found the shower to be small (and I am very petite) but the jacuzzi tub makes up for it! Also we were there over Christmas and actually had to turn the A/C on for most of our stay...the room stayed quite warm, not sure why.

The pool/hot tub area was great and next time, I'd love to try the gym and spa.

The free breakfast is convenient but pretty typical...you get sick of it after a few days. But as far as hotel breakfasts go, it'll do.

The concierge wasn't all that helpful. It seems like he kept sending everyone to the same awful steakhouse. We started getting recommendations from other people after that.

The shuttle to downtown is so convenient, as well as the ski storage area by the gondola. All in all, I would definitely return to the Grand and would recommend it to others.

• Liked — Beautiful hotel, nice rooms
  • Disliked — A bit pricey
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Colorado
Reviewed October 26, 2008

We were met at the driveway by a nice young man who arranged for our things to be taken to our room. Check-in was a breeze! To say our room was spectacular would almost be an understatement. We scored a two bedroom deluxe condo. Wow! Two large bedrooms. The master had this huge comfortable bed complete with a fireplace and large bathroom with jacuzzi tub and seperate shower. The other bedroom had two double beds, TV, large closet and complete bathroom. Our main living area was roomy with two couches (one a fold out bed), big screen tv, fireplace, large eating area and fully equipped kitchen with granite countertops and breakfast bar. Lastly, our foyer also had a full bath. Very nice and comfortable. My wife and I almost didn't want to leave our room.

Since it was off season, the hotel was not very full. However the staff was extremely efficient, friendly, and helpful.

We utilized the outdoor hot tub and pool one fine chilly morning to our delight.

We definitely would return here again!!!!

• Liked — It was luxurious!
  • Disliked — Can't think of a thing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ColoradoBear
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed October 6, 2008

I stayed at the grand Sept. 24 - 26 for a company conference. Check in was a breeze my only complaint was when I was walking in with my huge bags I was asked if I needed help with them from the bell hop. I would expect them to just walk up and say let me get your bags. Upon entering my room I was not impressed. Please keep in mind that I had a regular room with double beds not a suite. It is nice but I have stayed at Hampton inns that were just as nice. I heard from others that the suites were awesome. The common areas of the hotel are very nice and the event catering was also very good. I gave this hotel four stars because the outdoor pool and hot tub are the best I have ever seen. They are heated and huge for a hotel. I can't wait to go back for the winter and hot tub it in the snow. Other than that it is a well maintained resort but I wouln't call it luxury just nice.

• Liked — Pool and hot tub
  • Disliked — bell hop
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank shahrazadsun
los angeles
Reviewed September 18, 2008

We ended up at the Grand after checking out of a time-share oriented property up the hill from the Grand. This other property was dirty and dark and we were lucky that the Grand had a vacancy. We spent 6 nights there, and we were a party of 6. This hotel was absolutely great. We had a two bedroom with a super large living room/dining room/kitchen--which happened to sleep 3 kids comfortably. The room and the hallways were spotless. The beds were comfortable and there were 3 TVs. Even with construction going on near the hotel, the balcony and views were nice. The bathrooms were large and the beds were very comfortable. We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant 4 mornings and even though it was buffet style--the food was fine. In my opinion, this is the ONLY hotel to stay in while in Steamboat. It's, by far, the classiest hotel in the town.

Overall, if someone forced me to go back to Steamboat Springs, I would only stay at The Grand.

• Liked — It was classy, clean, and comfortable.
  • Disliked — If I HAD to pick something, it would be the game room. Some games were broken. (LOL)
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank mkgarf
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed August 5, 2008

I booked a 1 bedroom grand which had a small kind bedroom with a huge living room, kitchen and another bathroom because I wanted a balcony during the summer months. It was very nice, but way too large for just the two of us and the balcony was a major disappointment because it was small with just two rickety metal chairs.

The hotel was overrun with children who were there for a softball tournament which would have been fine except the absence of a lifeguard at the pool made us uncomfortable given the risks that the children were taking under the supervision of their parents rather than a trained lifeguard (who would not have allowed some of the flips and other moves in the pool).

Breakfast was included in the room rate but was a major disappointment given the reputed quality of the hotel. I've had much better breakfasts at an Embassy Suites or Comfort Suites. Steamboat Grand would be better off dropping the room rate and excluding breakfast since we skipped breakfast at the hotel after the first day and were wary of trying any other meal there.

The front desk staff was wonderful though and the concierge helpful

• Liked — size of living room
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nydenla
DTC Area, Colorado
Reviewed August 4, 2008

The Steamboat Grand is our hotel of choice when staying in Steamboat. We’ve been to the property four times over the last five years in the summer time. Steamboat’s a great place summer or winter!

The place is large, has great views from either side of the hotel, sits up on a hill and is across the street from the gondola / retail. It’s also very convenient to the wine festival held around the end of the July each summer. The staff: bell and check-in are friendly.

Our package included two rooms. (403 & 404) The bed room is a decent size, includes a tub for two, a separate shower, TV, DVD, CD player, fireplace and a balcony with two chairs and a small table.

The second room - living room – has a kitchenette, fireplace with two benches with cushions that can convert to a bed for the kids in an instant, a kitchen table, TV, DVD, two couches, and a regular bathroom.

Overall with the number of people that stay here in the summer, it’s a quiet, relaxing place. One thing I don’t’ notice is door slams so prevalent in many hotels. (my pet peeve).

We never thought about any other property when spending a long week-end in Steamboat.

However, we’ve noticed that the place is showing wear and tear in the past five years we’ve been coming here. It’s time for a serious walk around by upper management with an eye toward attention to detail.

The place is heavily used by youth baseball teams in the summer months which I assume adds to the wear. The carpet on the stairs from the check-in level to the pool level is stained and is worn out. They should just replace it with the stone that is prevalent in much of the hotel.

We also noticed trash in the hallways in the morning when housekeeping was in full swing. (Q-tips and issued tissue paper), Our refrigerator’s ice dispenser was a solid block of ice from the holder all the way through the dispenser. There’s a picture frame in the bathroom that looks like it was knocked off the wall and fell onto the floor. The corner of the frame is smashed. The grout in the bathrooms needs a scrubbing. The balcony needs a good washing or at least an occasional sweeping. Bird or rodent droppings were evident in both corners. Some glasses in the kitchen were put away dirty from a previous guest. It’s as if the housekeeping crew missed a day or two of training.

For the money (expensive), the Steamboat Grand is a good value however, for the money you shouldn’t expect to experience the issues I listed above.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Needs upkeep
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple