“Looking worn”

Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Steamboat Springs
DTC Area, Colorado
“Looking worn”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2008

The Steamboat Grand is our hotel of choice when staying in Steamboat. We’ve been to the property four times over the last five years in the summer time. Steamboat’s a great place summer or winter!

The place is large, has great views from either side of the hotel, sits up on a hill and is across the street from the gondola / retail. It’s also very convenient to the wine festival held around the end of the July each summer. The staff: bell and check-in are friendly.

Our package included two rooms. (403 & 404) The bed room is a decent size, includes a tub for two, a separate shower, TV, DVD, CD player, fireplace and a balcony with two chairs and a small table.

The second room - living room – has a kitchenette, fireplace with two benches with cushions that can convert to a bed for the kids in an instant, a kitchen table, TV, DVD, two couches, and a regular bathroom.

Overall with the number of people that stay here in the summer, it’s a quiet, relaxing place. One thing I don’t’ notice is door slams so prevalent in many hotels. (my pet peeve).

We never thought about any other property when spending a long week-end in Steamboat.

However, we’ve noticed that the place is showing wear and tear in the past five years we’ve been coming here. It’s time for a serious walk around by upper management with an eye toward attention to detail.

The place is heavily used by youth baseball teams in the summer months which I assume adds to the wear. The carpet on the stairs from the check-in level to the pool level is stained and is worn out. They should just replace it with the stone that is prevalent in much of the hotel.

We also noticed trash in the hallways in the morning when housekeeping was in full swing. (Q-tips and issued tissue paper), Our refrigerator’s ice dispenser was a solid block of ice from the holder all the way through the dispenser. There’s a picture frame in the bathroom that looks like it was knocked off the wall and fell onto the floor. The corner of the frame is smashed. The grout in the bathrooms needs a scrubbing. The balcony needs a good washing or at least an occasional sweeping. Bird or rodent droppings were evident in both corners. Some glasses in the kitchen were put away dirty from a previous guest. It’s as if the housekeeping crew missed a day or two of training.

For the money (expensive), the Steamboat Grand is a good value however, for the money you shouldn’t expect to experience the issues I listed above.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Needs upkeep
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wink5280

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2008

We stayed at the Steamboat Grand over the July 4th weekend in a one bedroom hotel room.

Room - Our one bedroom was very spacious and nice, containing a kitchen, breakfast/dining nook with room for eight, a massive living room, and a large bedroom; this room could sleep six people easily during ski season. Overall, a very nicely appointed, clean, huge hotel room.

Service - This was one area where the Steamboat Grand fell way short of expectations. Service was consistent - consistently poor. Despite arriving at 3PM, the check-in staff informed us that our room wasn't ready; the reason for this would become apparent later on during our stay. The desk clerk seemed to be in a rush to move us on, which never gives a great first impression of a hotel.

The hotel cleaning staff did a nice job of cleaning the room each day. However, they did not ever clean the room prior to 2 PM each day, which made it obvious why we had to wait to check in.

The hotel pool and spa area experienced a high volume of activity the entire weekend, not unexpected during a July 4 holiday. However, the pool staff did not seem to anticipate this, as the pool area was far, far short of deck recliners or chairs. After hanging out at the pool for 30 minutes with many other people also waiting for an open chair, we left. On our way out, we mentioned to the pool manager that the pool area was severely lacking chairs. He apologized, but otherwise made no effort to remedy the situation. How difficult is it to pull extra chairs from the storage room? Very difficult for the uninterested hotel staff, evidently. A few hours later, I saw that they finally got around to rolling out a few extra.

We then tried to eat lunch at the poolside grill that operates during the summer. Several different servers walked right by us about a half dozen times without so much as saying "I'll be right there". After 20 minutes of waiting, we just went up to the grill and placed our order. The grill guy ended up serving our food, which was tasty but average. I can understand when servers are busy and/or understaffed, but to not ever acknowledge us or simply state "I'm sorry, we are very busy and a bit understaffed, someone will be right over," is very poor.

Overall - The extremely poor service will ensure that we do not stay at this hotel again. As mentioned, the room was very nice, but the room is only part of a hotel stay. Service matters, especially when staying at a supposed "four star" resort. With service this poor, the value compared to the price of the room doesn't add up. Maybe the Steamboat Grand is understaffed during the summer season, or perhaps the staff is just generally not too concerned with providing an acceptable service level. Either way, if all you want is a nice room, there are many, many comparable options at a fraction of the price. If you are looking for a nice room combined with four star service, stay far, far away from the Steamboat Grand.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Denver, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2008

My boyfriend and I took a trip to the Steamboat Grand for Memorial Day weekend. The hotel itself is very nice and we enjoyed ourselves, but there were a few pet peeves that I wanted to share:
1. There is a $10/day fee to park in the hotel parking garage that i feel should have been included in the price of the room. They also didn't tell us if there was a free lot anywhere, so we were stuck paying for underground parking
2. There was some sort of Lacrosse tournament going on in Steamboat the weekend we were there, and altough it's not the hotel's fault, there were middle schoolers EVERYWHERE all weekend. This really put a damper on our pool and hot tub time as there were always kids out there splashing and being generally obnoxious. I felt the hotel staff could have done a better job controlling them or allowing for 'adults only' time. Also on the last night of our stay the power went off in the city and although that wasn't a problem, we proceeded to hear kids screaming in the halls for the next hour without so much as a warning from security.
I thought the front desk staff was particularly friendly, especially with giving us recommendations and directions and the overall quality of the room was great, very clean and the staff checked back several times to see if we needed room service.

• Liked — Pool, spa, room
  • Disliked — little kids everywhere!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LSidener
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2008

We enjoyed our stay at the Steamboat Grand in March of 2008. The staff was very helpful and efficient. Our skis were taken to the base of the lift and checked so that we would not have to carry them. (Even though the Grand is listed as a “ski in ski out” property it is actually about a quarter mile to the bottom of the nearest lift). Our double room (#349) had two very comfortable queen size beds and was spacious enough to add a roll-away without taking up all the walking room. The bathroom was nicely tiled and very clean. The furniture in the room was of lower quality than I would have expected in a resort of this level. Even though The Grand is pretty new the furniture was already showing some wear. The outdoor pool and hot tubs are amazing – there are two enormous hot tubs each at least 20 feet in diameter! Best hot tubs of any hotel we have ever visited. We paid $357.93 per night (including tax and fees) for four people (two adults, two teens). No breakfast is included but there are several restaurants on the main floor of the building.

• Liked — Amazing hot tubs!
  • Disliked — Expensive, furniture on the cheap side
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank KTCO
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2008

I took my daughters to Steamboat Springs for a ski vacation this spring break -- just myself and a 5 and 7 year old. I booked it because I needed the convenience of being near to the slopes and wanted a positive first skiing experience for the girls. So bear in mind that my requirements may be a little different from everyone elses, but I thought that the Steamboat Grand was a nice place, but not worth the cost and didn't really have good service

Check in was fairly quick even at the late hour we arrived and the room was okay. It was a hotel room which is pretty much what I expected, but for a resort seemed a little small as was the closet. What surprised me the most was the service -- it was really hit or miss. The sink is too tall for my daughters to wash their hands or brush their teeth and it took three calls for them to bring a milk crate (!) for them to stand on. The housekeeping was spotty and had to be re-called twice for basic things such as dirty glasses, a coffee pot and needed coffee restocking.

Equipment rentals at the hotel was disappointing because they had no helmets and our in house charge card didn't work, so they recomended we go across the street to the gondola square. Unfortunately the Steamboat ski rental shop that they are affiliated was closed already. So we ended up at Sport Stalker whose equipment is almost as scary as it's name. It was a bit frustrating to say the least. Plan ahead is all I can say. I called first and they assured me it would be no problem....

The best thing about the Steamboat is the outdoor pool and jacuzzi. Even though one of the two jacuzzis was broken, it was still far nicer than the Sheraton. We spend at least an hour in the pool and jacuzzis every day!

The in house restaurants were also disappointing. For breakfast they have a nice full service place and a Starbucks which worked well. For lunch there is nothing, really as Starbucks is closed and only the bar is open. For dinner there is less of an option as the full service restaurant becomes too fancy, Starbucks is open again, but only for sandwichs that were prepared in the morning (or night before) and room service is pizza, ribs or fried chicken. Because the girls were so tired from the day of skiing and pool/jacuzzi, we ordered delivery most nights.

Check out was funny as I grabbed a luggage trolly, the bell captain ran after me and took it back saying that it was only for their use. If I wanted their help, they would be happy to help...uh, huh, I'll bet.

Steamboat itself was a great mountain, with great skiing and a terrific ski school, so the trip was a success. The Steamboat Grand, however, was less of a success and caused me more stress than I would have expected considering the cost. Next time I would go with a condo (Torian Plum?)

• Liked — Pool and Jacuzzi
  • Disliked — In house services.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Trvler
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2008

We stayed at the Steamboat Grand while attending a conference there in Feb. I read the other reviews and found the other reviewers to be a bit petty in my opinion.. so I thought I would share my experience. The lobby was fine... yes, there are only steps and no ramp but that was not an issue for us. The check in went smoothly and the staff were nice...so no problems there either. We stayed in a studio room- we had a microwave, stove and full sized refrigerator in addition to the coffee maker and tea pot. Our room was clean and decent size. We had a nice view of the mountains. The maid service was good. The two hot tubs were a great way to end the day after being on the slopes... one had jets that didnt work for one day but were repaired on the second day we were there. We needed an extra robe... (we were provided with them in our room when we checked in) and after a call to the front desk it was delivered to us promptly. They have a free shuttle service into town which runs every 30 min which was very convenient. My only complaint was that one of the shuttle drivers was rather snotty to us on two different occasions... not sure what that was about... but the other drivers were friendly and prompt. We enjoyed the conference and our stay here...

• Liked — Hot tubs, clean room, fireplaces in the common areas
  • Disliked — Attitude of the shuttle driver
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank lblahnik
texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2008

The hotel was awesome! We stepped off the taxi, and walked into the lobby. The lobby was warm and inviting with a fireplace visibly in site as you walk in the door. The doormen, and bell hops were very attentive throughout our entire stay. We checked in without any problems. The staff were extremely helpful, friendly and attentive to our needs. The entire staff was very nice.
We got a room on the 5th floor that had a view of the mountain.
We were afraid that we were going to be disappointed by the room after seeing the pictures. The pictures really don't do justice. The pictures on the website were dark and the room looked dark. We walked into the room and it was spectuacular. Bright, cheerful and awesome. The bathrooms were clean, the bed was very comfortable, The only one problem i would say was the lighting. There were a lot of lamps near the window, the lighting needs to be adjusted to fit the room. The room was very convienent with a kitchen, mirco, and fridge.

The pool area, had 2 spas and one pool. The pool area seemed to be maintained. my only complaint would be there was no food service near the pool area, or drink service. Another downfall is that you can't take the pool towels back to your room, they make you leave them there; and that makes for a very cold walk to your room!

We had drinks at the bar downstairs. One of the bartenders was very knowlegdgeable about the area and gave us great advise on places to eat and happy hour places.

I was quite pleased that i could pick up the phone from my room and request an outing (example hot springs), and they called and made all the arrangements from you while you were relaxing in your room.

The hotel was fairly new. There were a few conviences that we enjoyed most, the closely of the moutain, skiing. It was across the street. The boot fitting could be done right downstairs in the hotel for the skis,. They stored the skis for you near the ski lifts.
A starbucks in the hotel lobby.

We also had the breakfast buffet they offered. My suggestion to you if it is included in your "package". Opt for ordering off the menu. The selection of the buffet was big, but nothing spectacular was on the buffet. I ordered off the menu and the price is the same included in your package. My husband got the buffet. I was quite pleased with the eggs crab benedict i ordered.
The service was also good at the breakfast area.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple