“Family Fun”

Grizzle-T Dog & Sled Works
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Grizzle-T Dog & Sled Works is a dog sledding tour business located in Steamboat Springs, CO. Family owned and operated by Iditarod Musher, Kris Hoffman and his wife Sara. In business since 1996, we offer both “Learn to Drive” dog sledding tours where we bring you out and teach you how to drive your own team (typically 2 people/sled with one starting as the driver and 1 being the passenger and then switching half way around the trail) or “Guide Driven” tours where we drive the sleds for you and you can just sit back and relax and enjoy the beautiful Colorado mountains at the speed of dog. Our 12.5mile backcountry trail is located on a private ranch just west of Steamboat. Our pristine (groomed) trail snakes through Colorado’s mountainous ranch country traversing over ridgelines, through canyons, open meadows, and everything in-between. Views include the Flat Tops Wilderness Area, Sleeping Giant, The Zirkles, The Steamboat Ski Area, the Valley and much more...with the occasional spotting of wildlife!
Reviewed January 27, 2016

We had a beautiful experience sledding around Stagecoach. The care and knowledge by Tom and his staff was superb! The dogs were so sweet and my 4 year old son enjoyed petting and loving on all of them. It was amazing to see the dogs so eager to work, and then as soon as we hit the trail it was so silent. I found myself drifting off in dreams of what the Iditarod would be like. I highly recommend this experience for everyone! It is something that the whole family can be involved in, learn from, and enjoy!! We are blessed to have such an amazing activity in our community.

All reviews
in 7 reviews
"great adventure"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed January 25, 2016

This is by far the best dogsledding experience you can have in Colorado. Chris and Sarah and their guides are super friendly and and knowledgeable, but their dogs are the stars of the show. Many have run the Iditarod or other significant races and they love to pull! They are are sweet and affectionate and will get you safely around the trail with a big smile on your face as you breathe the clean air and marvel at the scenic beauty. And you get to drive the sled! Bring some warm clothes and a warm heart and you will have a great winter adventure!

Reviewed January 25, 2016

My bucket list included driving a dog sled, which turns out is a little difficult to find. Lots of places only let you ride the sled while "pros" drive them - not so with Grizzle-T!

I loved every aspect of this experience. Kris and Sara are both very knowledgeable and personable - they kept everything running smoothly from booking until the end of the tour. The other guides were equally friendly and enthusiastic, taking the time to introduce individual dogs and tell me a bit about each one...and then giving encouragement and feedback throughout the sledding run. You could also tell the dogs absolutely love their jobs - from the excited barking before we got going to the happy trotting down the path to the desperate pulling every time we stopped, they were having a great time...and their excitement was infectious. I would love to do a longer run - the short time with the dogs and even shorter time in the driver's seat wasn't enough for me.

One thing I wasn't expecting - the dogs poop throughout the run...riding in the sled is a much more smelly experience than I had expected.

1  Thank bbqueen05
Reviewed January 25, 2016

Everything was great about the experience! The dogs were sweet and loved to go out and pull the sleds. The location was beautiful and we were separated enough from the other sleds that it felt like we were alone out there- so peaceful! The views back towards Steamboat were really beautiful. My favorite part of the whole experience was the wonderful staff who were very personable and accommodating. We were running a little late and were able to adjust the pick-up schedule and answered our millions of dog-related questions. Their passion for the dogs and the sport was infectious. I hope to return!

See more reviews
Reviewed January 23, 2016

We have done dog sledding tours before, but this was by far the best. The route was absolutely beautiful - along a frozen lake. We each got to drive half way - amazing opportunity not to be missed. Tom explains everything and he and his team make sure that you get to interact with the dogs (all super friendly and wanting attention) and are safe and competent while you drive. We can't say enough good things about Robby, Cody and Amy who never chastise you for driving your team into a snow bank - just help you out and give you a few words of guidance and encouragement and wow you are (or think you are) an Iditarod sled driver. They make it fun and adventurous. My team of 6 want to do it again when we are in Steamboat again. Who can get tired of those awesome sled dogs.

Date of experience: December 2015