“Once in a lifetime”

Grizzle-T Dog & Sled Works
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Grizzle-T Dog & Sled Works is a dog sledding tour business located in Steamboat Springs, CO. Family owned and operated by Iditarod Musher, Kris Hoffman and his wife Sara. In business since 1996, we offer both “Learn to Drive” dog sledding tours where we bring you out and teach you how to drive your own team (typically 2 people/sled with one starting as the driver and 1 being the passenger and then switching half way around the trail) or “Guide Driven” tours where we drive the sleds for you and you can just sit back and relax and enjoy the beautiful Colorado mountains at the speed of dog. Our 12.5mile backcountry trail is located on a private ranch just west of Steamboat. Our pristine (groomed) trail snakes through Colorado’s mountainous ranch country traversing over ridgelines, through canyons, open meadows, and everything in-between. Views include the Flat Tops Wilderness Area, Sleeping Giant, The Zirkles, The Steamboat Ski Area, the Valley and much more...with the occasional spotting of wildlife!
Reviewed December 28, 2012

The ride was amazing. My husband drove the sled half the distance then I took over for the remainder of the trip. The two guides were right there if we got in trouble and even to take photos of the sled, dogs and driver. The trip was certainly long enough (12.5 miles) and the scenery was spectacular. I'd recommend it for everyone....at least once in a lifetime. We're ready for Alaska! After the trip, hot apple cider with or without alcohol was provided. They even provided pants, shoes, gloves and goggles so as not to be cold.

All reviews
"cookies"
in 17 reviews
"hot chocolate"
in 16 reviews
"highly recommend this experience"
in 6 reviews
"ski trip"
"kris"
in 35 reviews

Reviewed September 20, 2012

My Family of 5 (kids are 12, 9 & 7) and I visited Steamboat this past winter and had the time of our lives "Learning to drive" a dog sled with Kris and Sara Hoffman of Grizzle-T! This was the best family activity we participated in while in Steamboat - the kids had a blast and even got to drive the sleds! I'm not sure who posted bad reviews but Sara was GREAT with our kids, helping they every step of the way! She and another guide (I think it was Kyle) helped by patiently talking with them to help give them the confidence to try drive the sleds - which was the highlight of the trip for all of them! We recommend Grizzle-T to everyone we know and anyone we ran into skiing that was looking for an off mountain activity for the day. WELL WORTH EVERY PENNY SPENT!!!!

Reviewed May 29, 2012

My wife and two daughters (ages 13 and 6) thought this was among the highlights of our trip to the Steamboat, CO area. We booked through our resort (the fabulous Vista Verde Ranch) and everything went off without a hitch. My wife and oldest drove one sled and my youngest and I drove the other. My youngest was thrilled to be pulled by the dogs. The guide later allowed her to stand on the skids in front of me as if she was "driving." This was a thrill for her. And my oldest was allowed to drive the sled while her mom sat on the sled under the blankets. The dogs were very family friendly. The staff were very clear with their instructions and were appropriately safety minded. The experience was a half-day. Although this was expensive, I'm sure the overhead of caring for these great animal-atheletes and paying all the staff needed to wrangle the dogs is high. All in all, the expense was nonetheless a great "value" and will make for lifetime family memories. Thank you, Grizzle-T!

1  Thank Michael B
Reviewed March 28, 2012

This is great fun! The best non skiing activity in Steamboat and worth the money. You get to drive the sled and I loved both driving and riding. It is like doing your own Iditarod! Each of the dogs have their own personalities and they love it.

1  Thank Boatsail