“Let's make a deal...only I won't keep my end of the bargain” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Steamboat Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Steamboat Springs
Steamboat Campground
“Let's make a deal...only I won't keep my end of the bargain”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

My family made reservations in May for a week long stay in July. I was given a specific site and confirmation number. I then asked for an email confirmation and the clerk said she didn't know how to do that. I had to call again and finally received one two weeks later. We live 1200 miles away and I wanted to be certain we had a place to stay.

The day before we arrived Amber called me begging me to "help her out" and I would be "saving her life" if I would agree to give up my spot for a less desirable one due to a reservation error. She offered me a 50% discount on my stay if I did so. We turned her down because we wanted to keep 50 amp service. She then called me back and told me she would move me into the site to the right of where we initially reserved. The catch was that we would have to move to another site for the last day of our stay. Amber told me I would still receive the 50% discount for being so inconvenienced. She again told me how grateful she would be to me for switching, that the group who wanted my site were being so difficult etc.

I arrived on schedule and took the site they asked us to. I filled out the registration form appropriately and turned it in. I checked my account balance the next day and learned the entire amount had been debited from my account. I asked at the office and was told Amber was not in, but they would have her call me. She never did.

Later I found Amber in the office and asked if she meant to charge me the full fee. She became very defensive and told me the site I had was identical to the one I reserved and she would not give me any discount. I reminded her of the phone conversation and our agreement. She became snotty and said "you didn't have to move did you?" I again reminded her that my move was at the end of my stay and I didn't have to help her out to begin with. She then yelled "what do you want? Your discount? Fine!!" And I left. My husband asked her why she was so rude to me and she told him I "came in with an attitude" and that if we don't like it we can leave. She then turned her back on him!

Later that evening I received a note in the campsite asking me to acknowledge the number in my party (again) and initial that I'll be charged for everyone over 5 yo. Then another note indicating I will be asked to leave if I continue to be rude to staff!! Then I was told that I would have to move as previously agreed. So the last night we were there, we moved. No one occupied my previous site. That move was done out of spite. Then on e we left, she charged my card another $84 for the extra people in my party. Why don't they charge that upon check in? I don't know. Again, another cowardly act of retaliation. I brought business to them as friends stayed there with us! It's crazy the way she talks to people. Read the other reviews. She is consistently rude.

I have traveled all over the western US with my family and have never been treated so disrespectfully.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank Familyroadtrip3

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Englewood, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

We are regular visitors to the Steamboat Campground. We come here at least once a season. The facilities are well maintained and clean.

The management is great! I have never had a problem getting in touch with the office. If I leave a message, they return the call within minutes. If we ever have a problem or issue, they take care of it or assist in helping. They try very hard to be sure everyone has an enjoyable time. Sometimes, that means enforcing the quiet hours, which we really appreciate. I see the staff working non-stop. Amber and Bryan, the managers, are ALWAYS working. We have 3 mini-doxies. One evening around 9:00 p.m. we had a coyote near our campsite and we informed Amber and Bryan. They immediately got in their vehicle and went around the entire campground to warn everyone. It is the little things like this that are so much appreciated.

Over the years we have stayed in every area of the campground (not the tent sites). They are all very well maintained. Our favorite spot is near the river, but it does not have sewer hook ups. The river sites have their own fire ring which is wonderful. The sites near the large communal fire pit are great, too, because you have a large grassy area behind the camper.

We've met some of the greatest people at this campground. We look forward to coming back year after year.

We always bring our dogs, and they know this campground better than we do! The tent sites on the other side of the river are really nice, well shaded, and quiet. We usually walk over the bridge to the tent side and let the dogs hang out in the shade and wade in the Yampa River.

Our kids have grown up coming to this campground. The pool and playground have been great fun. They are always well maintained and clean.

The shuttle in to Steamboat Springs is a great perk, too. Sometimes the parking in downtown Steamboat can be hard to come by. It is so easy to get on the shuttle and not have to worry about it!

Being on the river is great too! We go in to town and get in the river with our tubes and float to the campground! Couldn't be more perfect! The water was pretty cold in June, but was great in July. We were there over Father's Day week, and then again July 20 - 26th. Wish we could make another trip there!

I have no problem recommending this campground. It is our FAVORITE!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Burns, Wyoming, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stayed at the Steamboat Campground from July 20th through the 25th, 2013. The staff was always helpful and polite. We could not have asked for a better place to stay. Because we made the reservation originally for the 21st and then decided to come down on the 20th instead we did have to stay in a separate lot for one night and then move, but that is to be expected in a BUSY place. When our other lot was available, the staff personally came to our camper to let us know that it was ready. Although we did not use the on-site pool, I could see that it was kept clean and well maintained. We saw someone there every morning cleaning it. All of the other facilities were also clean. We will be returning to the Steamboat Springs area and when we do, this is the place we WILL stay.

Room Tip: All of the sites are great, but if you can do without sewer, pick a place along the river. We loved...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bozeman, Montana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Core sites seem quite nice. However as campground grew, the owners did so haphazardly. Sites along the perimeter were not level, without pads and for the most part added without proper planning. Restrooms were inadequate for number of patrons and often left unattended. Floors were constantly wet, garbage full, and in general not very sanitary (slippery and dangerous). Shower and bathroom stalls were ridiculously small. Our site was unshaded, just off the highway (i.e., noisy), and small even for our pop-up. The next camper in a 5th wheel was just feet from our front door.
Campground is on river but there is no designated access point aside from walking through another camper's site which we would not do and the campground itself suggests campers avoid. Pool is unshaded and small.
Amenities require additional fees.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kreed3552

Travelers are raving about these Steamboat Springs hotels

Loveland, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

I made our reservation for camping here a couple months in advance to secure a spot for a friday-sunday. No problem at all, they were very kind & courteous. I was given a confirmation number which the girl said she was also going to email me (never got). The week before we were set to go, i got a job offer & would have to end up spending that friday filling out paperwork, training, etc.. So midweek, i call up the campground to let them know and cancel well ahead of the 24hr notice. It was just after 6, the phone was at first busy, so i tried back a couple minutes later. This time and about tries later, it just kept ringing - no voicemail to go to. Might i also throw in that THEY HAVE NO EMAIL posted OR SUBMISSION AREA ON THE WEBSITE, so other than the lousy phone service, you have no way to contact. Thursday i try again, but this time i was able to leave a message - where they say they will "call right back!". I figured at this point everything was good. I didn't hear anything the rest of that day, so i call back friday morning and do the exact same thing, leaving another message. I get a call back at 6:23pm from them, leaving me a message that they were getting ready to close at 6:30 (what kind of campground CLOSES at 6:30 on a FRIDAY!?) and would leave my campground map in the nighttime pickup location, as if they had not got any of my messages in the first place. I called back immediately 3 times and NO ONE PICKED UP so i left a mssg AGAIN explaining what happened. Still no call back. Saturday afternoon rolls around, i get ANOTHER call from them, which i could not get to in time, saying "well we never heard from you so we are going to have to charge you for the nights stay". I called back within less than 2 minutes of their call and AGAIN NO ONE PICKED UP & left a not so nice message!
After so many messages and attempts to let them know of my cancellation, i truly believe that they intentionally turn a blind eye and play dumb, simply to charge me for the full stay. Little did they know that after Friday when i couldn't get through to them after 3 days, i cancelled my debit card they had on file, so that i would not have to go through a fiasco of most likely not getting our money back from these yahoo's.
I can't speak for the campground & stay, but as far as operations and customer service, you are much better off staying at the state park or elsewhere. Completely disgusted with how this "wasn't" handled & will never recommend this campground to anybody.

Room Tip: Yes, book elsewhere.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
      Rooms
5 Thank Matt M
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

BEWARE! if they mess up your reservation - as they did ours - and you get even the least bit upset, management will call you "rude" and simply cancel your reservation just a few days before arrival.
We made reservations with three other couples in February for the week of July 4th in side by side sites. After multiple attempts we never received a confirmation. They are very difficult to get a hold of. A few days prior, I did reach them and was informed we were in a different site than we were originally given, and not by our friends. The young girl I spoke with said she would have to talk to the managers and they'd probably have to call the people who were now in our spot to see if we could get it back. The manager would call me later.
The manager called back after 20 minutes, accused me of being rude to her employee and was cancelling our reservation. I was shocked! I said I was not rude, I was just trying to figure out how they were going to work this out and how this had happened since the reservation was made months ago and in conjunction with our friend's reservations. She claimed they recorded our conversation (I think that's illegal to do without informing the all parties involved) and I was rude. Not remembering anything I said to this young employee as being rude, as I was asking to listen to that recorded conversation, the manager hung up on me! Who's rude????
We are empty nesters and have done many camping trips already this year and many more scheduled, so I was happy to not have to give my business to people who treat their customers this way. I just hope some family with little kids, all excited about their one vacation of the year that is planned for Steamboat Campground, doesn't have their vacation canceled on them. Turns out, no one was in our original site...
Also beware there are certain breeds of dogs they don't allow but don't tell you about that until you arrive. Also, some sites have fire pits and some don't, which they don't mention either.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jonathan F
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

We rented an RV in Denver and this was our first stop. The spots are very close together, at least where we stayed, but the location is very beautiful in general. I really liked the staff. They let the kids use the three wheel bikes much longer than what we paid for. The campground store was well stocked for campground needs. The showers were very clean. Overall, I would recommend but maybe take the advice of previous posters as to site location

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family