“Loved It!”
Review of Trailhead Lodge

Trailhead Lodge
Reviewed February 6, 2012

This lodge is a gem!! This was our third ski trip to Steamboat and the Trailhead Lodge is by far the best place we have stayed. The staff is very helpful and extremely friendly. Our studio condo was just the right size for my husband and I. Having a stacked washer and dryer in the condo was the best. We could have packed half of what we did. The Lodge does provide a small box of detergent, but I brought my own "all in one sheets" to be on the safe side. Trailhead Lodge is not within walking distance to anything, but no worries, the very prompt on-call shuttle will take you to wherever you want to go. A couple of our favorite amenities were the grotto style hot tubs and the boot dryer. Granted, this place is a little pricier than other places you can stay, but remember, you get what you pay for. I can guarantee that when we return to Steamboat we will stay at the Trailhead Lodge again.
Food recommendations: Ski down to the Slopeside Grill for lunch. It's better and cheaper than anything on the mountain. Head to Carl's Tavern for dinner. This place is fairly new and fantastic!!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
SteamboatResorts, General Manager at Trailhead Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your experience at the Trailhead Lodge. I am pleased to hear that it is the best place you have stayed and that the staff took such good care of you. We strive to provide exemplary customer service in every way. We look forward to having you with us again upon your return to Steamboat!

Reviewed February 4, 2012

I had read tons of reviews (not just on Trailhead) and wanted a relaxing, quiet, romantic week in Steamboat. We were looking for a hotel/condo with an outside hot-tub, quiet/cozy furnishings w/ fireplace, not too expensive, shuttle service, within 5 to 10 mins to good local dining, and if possible, ski-in/ski-out. Lot to ask out of a resort right? Trailhead met all of these.

Trailhead is located just outside the hussle and bussle of the bottom of the mountain, but only 5-10 mins away from downtown shopping and dining. Our studio w/kitchenette was perfect and nicely furnished (hardwoods, granite countertops, garden tub and lots of other amenities). Each of the units are decorated differently as each has its own owners who have bought into the complex. We woke up to a beautiful mountain view each morning. Also realize you are not staying in a “hotel” but a condo complex. Housekeeping isn’t coming by to clean your room everyday and turn down the bed each night (which we knew coming in and didn’t expect otherwise). But should you need fresh towels or anything else until housekeeping shows up (every 2 days), the staff is very compliant. If I had to nit-pick about anything, it would be that the bathroom and shower didn’t have a soap dish (and that’s digging).

Each time we returned to the condo from snowboarding, dining, shopping, hot-tubing; we were always greeted kindly by the front desk attendant. Every staff member went out of their way to ensure your stay had no complications. The free shuttle service is also very convenient. I don't think we had to wait more than 5 mins anywhere within the Steamboat/Steamboat Springs area for a shuttle. And the drivers were top notch; all locals and all having very good recommendations. They even took us to the local supermarket to buy groceries and beer our first day (recommend you don't by beer from Safeway and buy it from the nearby liquor store as the alcohol content is lower at the markets, another tip). Just take a GoApine shuttle from the airport and don't rent a car; you won’t need one.

Despite the fact Trailhead is not quite "at" the slopes (maybe 400 yards), the private gondola takes you right to the lift ticket booth and main Steamboat Gondola. It was ideal. You were greeted every time you got on by one of the attendants. They have overnight (secure) boot and ski/snowboard storage which is very useful.

Bottom line, when we do return to Steamboat, we will definitely be staying at Trailhead Lodge again.

Recommendations: Slopeside (great pizza and calzones), Ore House (great steaks), Cantina (awesome margaritas and fajitas), Creekside (rated #1 breakfast restaurant and we can attest).

1  Thank hockystiks29
SteamboatResorts, General Manager at Trailhead Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your experience at the Trailhead Lodge. I am pleased to see that we met your expectations and that you had such a good visit. We will discuss the matter of soap dishes and I appreciate you bringing that to our attention. I will certainly pass along to all the staff your comments, and look forward to having you with us again the next time you travel to Steamboat.

Reviewed February 2, 2012

I've stayed here many times, and it's the nicest place in town without a doubt. Nice & clean new units, good service, no complaints!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
SteamboatResorts, General Manager at Trailhead Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your experience at the Trailhead Lodge. I am pleased that you have stayed with us on so many occasions and that you find the Trailhead Lodge the nicest place in town. We look forward to having you with us again in the future.

Reviewed February 1, 2012

As a Florida resident, who is surrounded by pretentious types, I have been to Steamboat numerous times, and travel there specifically to escape the Southeast Florida, NY and LA snobs. It is a great escape because Steamboat can never be considered a second tier location, and boast Five star restaurants, great shopping and arts.and attracts well off folks who, unlike the Aspen crowds, don't flaunt their net worth.

The visitors, often multi millionaires, visit to escape the "phonies" of the other upscale Colorado ski areas and tend to blend it with average, down to earth, friendly visitors and even more friendly locals.

It is an ideal getaway for me because I am cursed and live in Boca Raton, FL, which is exactly the opposite of what Steamboat represents. it is my personal escape to spend that week to get back to core family values.

We've stayed in Steamboat numerous times over the years to "escape" pretentious people and never left feeling we didn't reap the benefits of every penny we spent.

This time took the cake.....this resort, not exactly on the slope but unique in they have their own lift to the main area, which is constantly runniig made us feel we had our own resort, yet getting to the ski area was a cinch. Plus, they have their own boot and ski storage for the guests

And, don't bother wasting your money on a rental car here, because the longest we waited to get picked up after a last minute call to their shuttle was 94 seconds.

As someone who has been fortunate to have had some success in the travel industry, I have travelled to all States and over 80 countires.I have some experience in rating customer service, and this resort is at the tops for me.

Todd Siefken, and his wonderful staff, made this vacation incredibly memorable, and at this very moment, we are looking to book my 9 year old's spring break in March. (Todd, if you ever want to leave the beauty of Steamboat and come work for a cruise line, you;d he hired tomorrow)

In summary, this resort offers first class service and hospitality, "uber" immaculate rooms, incredible pools and fitness centers, and, something that is missing for the last few years in resorts......staff who actually like their jobs, while at the same time, are "real" people.

We will be back here, numerous times.

Kudos to all at Trailhead.

Steve Novello
President - North American, All Discovery Cruising
www.alldiscoverycruising.com

Room Tip: I was told the higher floors are better, but we had no problem
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
SteamboatResorts, General Manager at Trailhead Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2012

Mr. Novello. Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your experience at the Trailhead Lodge. I can not tell you how pleased I am to hear that your visit put us at the top of your list of properties visited around the world. We take great pride in our customer service and will continue to strive to exceed our guests’ expectations. I will be certain to share your comments and kind words with the staff. We enjoyed having you with us in December and look forward to your return visit in March.

Reviewed January 28, 2012

The hotel is great, feels like home. Staff was very friendly and greeted us by name every time we walked through the doors. We traveled mid March (2011) for a 5 day trip & had awesome powder. (it snowed 18" during our trip) We had a great 2 bed 2 bath and awesome balcony with view of the gondola. Layout of suite is ideal, rooms on opposite sides and common area is spacious. Kitchen is well stocked with all the necessities. One night we used the grill and made a wonderful dinner! The pool and hot tub were a great way to wind down after skiing all day. Locker rooms were relaxing and clean. Multiple hot tubs allows kids to play with out bothering others. Gondola to slopes was great. Much easier than loading up in a car or shuttle. You do have to walk a little to get to the lifts from the hotel gondola but no further than some of the ski in/out hotels. Heated locker room for boots and gloves. It's always nice to put on warm, dry ski clothes. Ski valet right out front, just grab your skis on the way to the gondola. Hotel shuttle was always available to take us into town and staff had great recommendations for restaurants and bars.
We ski every year in Colorado and LOVED Steamboat. The Mountain is great for all levels of ski. My husband and I were able to ski in the same area of the mountain even though I am a blue and he is black & diamond.
The town has a great vibe and everyone was very nice. Great shopping and night life. One evening we went to Strawberry Park Hot Springs. It was amazing! You can even get a massage at the springs if you get there before 8. It is a good distance from the hotel (& you must have 4 wheel drive) but well worth it. If I remember correctly kids are not allowed after dark because clothing is optional.
We are currently planning our trip for this March & have decided to return to Steamboat and Trailhead lodge!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
SteamboatResorts, General Manager at Trailhead Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your experience at the Trailhead Lodge. I am pleased that you found our units, amenities, and service enjoyable and we look forward to having you with us again in March.

Reviewed January 28, 2012

Even though I'm not an avid skier like my fiance (this was only my third ski trip) I loved this place! First, skiing at Steamboat is not overwhelming and is friendly, yet it's relatively easy to get to and has great dining and enough stores to cover anything you might need during vacation. Second, the Trailhead Lodge is in an excellent location-- you can choose whether you want to take the quick, convenient gondola ride to the ski area and be in the center of the activity, take the shuttle or drive the short distance to town, or just stay in the peaceful, relaxing environment of the Lodge and enjoy grilling outdoors, the heated pool and hot tubs, or just spending time together in your room. The staff is phenomenal, always willing to accommodate and be helpful. There is a shuttle that even with little notice is usually able to take you to town (n.b., they request 30 minutes notice but do an excellent job at accommodating requests with less notice). The decor is clean, polished, functional, and refreshingly included elements of the outdoors in the brick stones and dark woods in the studio condo we stayed in. It's kid friendly but not overrun with children. The one "be aware" I might issue is that the housekeeping only comes every other day and doesn't change the sheets or really clean; it's my understanding that they're job is to empty garbage, exchange used towels if not on racks, and replete toiletry supplies. Overall, we loved the place so much that we're looking at purchasing a unit there! I highly recommend the Trailhead Lodge condominiums.

1  Thank Marie D

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your experience at the Trailhead Lodge. It is great to hear that you had a peaceful, relaxing visit and that the staff was accommodating and helpful. I am sorry that the housekeeping did not meet your expectations and will certainly review our services that are offered. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit so much that you are contemplating a purchase and hope to have you with us again soon.

Reviewed January 27, 2012

We had a 7 day stay at the lodge,for a short winter vacation.I have only positive remarks about the services ofered:free shutle service any time anywhere,a more than adeqate fitness facility,free transportation via gondola to the ski slopes,free newspaper and hot beverages through the day.The staff is very friendly and helpful and so is the houskeeping staff.The Hotel/Condo is waking distance to the local mall and a nice walking distance to the ski slopes and local restaurants.With the services offered it is a much better choice,in my view,than a comparable privately owned condominium.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your experience at the Trailhead Lodge. I am pleased to see that your visit was so positive. We would love to have you with us again for another ski vacation or to enjoy Steamboat in the summertime.