“Agree with the good location, that's about it really”

Sheraton Steamboat Resort Villas
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Steamboat Springs
Reviewed March 21, 2008

Stayed for three nights in early March, my husband and I and our friend Jason. This was our second time (first time last year) staying at this hotel. We chose it mainly for having one night free on our Starwood account, and because of it's location.

We were staying such a short time, that conveinence to the slopes were important. Like other reviews mentioned, the hotel needs a facelift. The rooms were "scruffy", outdated, and could have been a bit cleaner. The hallways were similiar.

It looks like they are planning a major renovation in the next few months. They had pictures of what it would look like.

Things we liked:
- Beds were extremely comfortable
-Location is fantastic, an easy walk to the slopes and getting around.
-Ski rental in the hotel
-Front desk help was fantastic
-Concierge and valet was helpful
-Starbucks on premesis

Things we did not like:
-Rooms tired and not clean the way I would like
-Bathroom tiny (vanity outside)
-Could not smoke on the balcony of the rooms
- The wait staff at the lounge was the worst I have ever experienced...... highly overpriced food, and not good food either. The waitress took about 45 minutes to get to get (she only had 2 other tables) our order, took mine, but didn not even ask my husband and friend.

I don't know if I would stay again.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed March 19, 2008

This hotel is all about the location. We checked in to the hotel at 1pm and we were on the slopes by 2pm. You can't beat that. Plus there is a Starbucks in the hotel. Extra bonus for us.

Otherwise, the price is outrageous for the type of service/room. The sitting areas, restaurants, elevators, etc. all need to be updated. Most of the staff was average. I also want to say that the jacuzzi was gross. I think they could do a better job with keeping these clean.

The whole entire place is outdated - including the rest of the resort area. I am sure IntraWest will turn the ski resort around. Almost every place from hotel to restaurant needs to be updated. When we return to Steamboat we will definitely check out other places, but I'd stay at this hotel again purely based on it's ideal location.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2008

Researched all the hotels through Tripadvisor and thought we'd splurge on the Sheraton. It was $100 more expensive per night than the other hotels but I thought what the heck...we're celebrating. Now that we spent 5 nights and over $1600, I can say that the great location was not worth the money. The rooms were super small. They are planning a renovation this Fall and it is much needed. The shuttle service was hit or miss. If they weren't busy then they were accommodating but that was only once in 5 days. They actually told us we should take the City Bus and they wouldn't take us to Rex's American Grill b/c they don't go that way b/c it would increase their liability. What? Another example of the poor service was room service trays sitting in the hallway from morning to evening. I know, seems small but when I am paying this much money, I expect a lot. The only thing the Sheraton has going for it is its location. If that's enough for you, then go for it. If not, look around. We liked the look of the Steamboat Grand or Timber Ridge.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed February 21, 2008

We received a special offer in the mail to stay at the Sheraton. We were very excited and booked the deal. Little did we know that the pictures they showed us were of what the rooms will look like this summer after they do a renovation. The hotel was very drab, worn out, and old. The walls are also paper thin. Can hear your neighbors clear as day. We actually had to change rooms due to the kids in the room next to us being loud through out the night. Also had horrible maids. They don't clean anything in your room, if they even come. The first full day we were there they never cleaned our room. The second day it was 4 and no one had come. Had to ask three different time to get someone to come clean the room. Then when we changed rooms, my husband had left something in the old room and went to get it. Two of the maids were just sitting in the room talking. Guess this explains why they are too busy to clean rooms. The only good thing about the hotel is that you are right next to the ski slope. Would not stay here again.

Stayed: February 2008
Reviewed January 7, 2008

As I begin my review let me say that YES, we were traveling at the busiest week of the year, still..... The location of the Sheraton is slope side but the room was old, tired and in desperate need of renovation. We had two adjoining slopeside rooms. When we went downstairs to rent skis from "ski-in/ski-out" shop we were told only skis available for those making prior reservations, and we could not store out skis at the Sheraton. This was one reason that I chose to stay at the hotel. I did not want to mess with skis at the end of the day. The bellman was helpful in finding another shop but still every night I was left hauling skis for myself and my 3 young sons. Breakfast buffet was a disaster. The manager of the restaurants explained to me that most of the kitchen staff had never worked in a hotel/restaurant and that was obvious. I waited 25 minutes on morning to get eggs for myself and waffles for my kids. The final straw for me was the night before we were to go home my oldest son got very sick and needed to go to the emergency room. Front desk just gave me the phone number to ER and number to taxi company. I insisted finally that the hotel at least call the taxi for me since my son was in extreme pain and I was considering calling an ambulance. I will not be going back to the Sheraton. For the price you get slope side ski-in/ski-out but I just want more.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 26, 2007

Had a great experience while making my reservation, the agent explained everything about the hotel and the happenings around town. You can only get that with a person that lives in such a great town.

She let us know about the construction that the Ski Mountain is doing right outside the hotel and gave me the control to get a room that was away from this noise. The town is being torn up though on the mountain and around the hotel, not very nice :o(

Downtown was very nice though, had a great appeal to it.

All in all the hotel is a great place to stay and am going to be there in the winter. I can't wait till the hotel is renovated, I wonder when they are going to get started on that? I heard that they jsut got bought out by Starwood, really excited about the changes.

Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed September 17, 2007

Steamboat is a lovely town, and I was thrilled to stay at the Sheraton and experience a fun 4 days with my boyfriend. I guess I expected more from this hotel and I'll explain why I was a bit disappointed...

We arrived very late (around 1am) and though tired, were eager to look around the hotel and get to our room. We were greeted by a young woman who seemed a bit indifferent and more interested in talking with her boyfriend, who was visiting her while she worked. I understand that it wasn't exactly prime check-in time, but still, it felt very unprofessional and unwelcoming. Her boyfriend was more friendly to us than she was!

The lobby was dark and unimpressive. It felt much smaller than what I was expecting. Elevators are dark and drab and the hallways aren't air conditioned so it got extremely hot. (Keep in mind we were there in August.)

Our room was a disappointment also. I was glad to be on the top floor, but our view was of the parking lot and surrounding hotels. The balcony was nice to sit on, but the paint on the walls around us was chipped and the wood seemed to be in need of repair.

Bathroom is TINY! I'm a slim person, yet it was hard for me to even turn around in there without knocking into the towel rack or the toilet. Walls are decorated in a faded and worn "Santa Fe" style print that was popular in the early 90's. Unfortunately, this is 2007 and now it just looks silly and outdated.

The rest of the room had the same outdated decor and felt overcrowded with a large table and chairs that didn't quite seem to fit in the room properly. We felt like we were always bumping into things. Beds were comfortable though!

The gym and arcade are located in the basement level. I worked out one morning and while the treadmill was nice, the rest of the equipment could use some updating. There were used towels and water bottles laying around, giving the impression that no one had checked on things in quite some time.

While we were staying at the Sheraton, their pool was closed for 3 days for maintenance. We were given passes to the Steamboat Grand across the street, which was an inconvenience, but I understand that these things happen. The last day we were there, the pool did re-open, and let's just say that we hadn't missed much! No plants, no drink service, no charm. Just a pool and some chairs. Very boring and Motel 6-like.

The service we encountered during the rest of our visit was good, but nothing great. We called the front desk one night because our neighbor was smoking on the balcony and filling our room with smoke as well. Within 2 minutes they had security up there to deal with it - so that was pretty impressive.

Overall, we had a lovely time in Steamboat, but for a future visit would choose a better hotel. We make the best of things wherever we go, and found fun restaurants, friendly people and loved the nature and beauty of this town.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple