“Good Value for a ski resort hotel, but . . .”

Sheraton Steamboat Resort Villas
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Steamboat Springs
Reviewed March 19, 2011

There are two things that would substantially enhance the stay. First, you have got to get wireless into the rooms. Many of us who combine business with pleasure (as I did at the High Country Nuclear Medicine Conference) have come to rely on iPads or similar devices, and all of us rely on a laptop. Being forced to use laptops only at the desk in the room and not being able to use a wireless tablet like the iPad at all is a real disadvantage. In fact it will force me to consider a different hotel next year.

Second, you really have to improve the quality of the restaurant food. It is mediocre at best.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank noneofyourbusinessat
SheratonSteamboat, Director of Operations at Sheraton Steamboat Resort Villas, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2011

Dear Noneofyour businessat;
Thank-you for providing feedback regarding your latest stay at the Sheraton Steamboat Resort, y our input is invaluable in our continued efforts to provide exceptional guest service and to provide a facility that is meeting the expectations of our guests. You make a great point regarding the need for wireless access in our guest rooms and with more guests traveling with multiple devices, this need has never been more important than now. We are pleased to report that we are now scheduling a guest room wireless upgrade to occur this spring and anticipate this important service available for our summer season. I hope this will encourage returning with us again soon.
We will continue to work with our restaurant culinary staff in ensuring that our food quality is nothing short of excellent. If you have any specific examples you would like to share with me in an effort to improve, please email me at dan.kakabeeke@sheraton.com.

Reviewed March 14, 2011

We returned to the Sheraton for a week long stay during winter carnival, and found everything to be just as good as last year. The rooms here are updated and clean with comfortable beds. I have read other reviews that the rooms are small but we felt comfortable enough with four people in one room for 7 nights with all our gear. There's a nice seating area in the hall - sofa, chairs, table, and game table w/chairs - if you want someplace to sit and have a pizza or play a game. Frigid 40 below temps our first day made any outdoor activities difficult, so it was nice to have the upgraded game room off the lobby bar with pool, shuffle board, and games. Waiters from the lobby bar will serve you in the game room. My favorite things about this property are: A++ location, super convenient ski check, quality bedding and linens, lobby bar, responsive housekeeping and maintenance service, in-room fridge, good elevator service (I've been at hotels where you can wait forever during the morning rush), nice fitness room with all the amenities. My least favorite thing about this property is the on-site restaurant, Sevens, which is less than adequate. It's important to have a good, quick breakfast option when you're skiing and have no kitchen. I would really like to have another option for a quick breakfast that isn't $20/person. Don't even bother going to Sevens for dinner unless you are dead tired and have absolutely no other options. Balancing out the lack of a good dinner option is the lobby bar which has good service and decent snack food that could serve as dinner (I like the margherita pizza). We enjoyed watching the Super Bowl there. Another negative is lack of in-room wi-fi (there's wifi in the lobby). Internet connection in-room is ethernet cable and response time is slow. My kids went down to the lobby to use the wi-fi instead, but I don't know if the connection is any faster. It's great to have some hooks on the wall in the room to hang wet gear - but more would be good. Why not add a second row? Sweaty gear needs a place to hang out overnight! A good place to put wet boots would be great, too, and would probably reduce wear and tear on the carpet. Maybe some benches in the hall so you can get your boots off before entering and avoid tracking snow and dirt all through the room?

I think we'll be back next year.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank surfermom
Reviewed March 8, 2011

We traveled with grandparents, aunt and our two small children (4 yrs and 8mos) and stayed in one of their Villas - GREAT for larger families, full kitchen and living room. The location of the resort right next to three lifts made it so convenient to ski and get into to our room to give the 4 yr old a break or check on the 8 month old. The location met everyone's needs: shopping, bars, entertainment, snowshoe, trampoline/bungee, ski rentals, lift tickets, a great cafe/market - I did not get in my car in 4 days. We loved the hot tubs, enjoyed the game room and had several cocktails in the lobby bar with live entertainment. The service was also wonderful - looking forward to going back again!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 3, 2011

The Sheraton Steamboat was one of the worst Sheraton and Starwood experiences I've ever had. Over the past few years I've spent hundreds of nights in Starwood properties on business and leisure and have always felt Sheraton / Starwood hotel management to be fair and reasonable when a problem arises. That was not the case with a serious issue at the Sheraton Streamboat Springs.

First the good - the hotel has a great location in Steamboat Village. It is an older Sheraton that has recently been renovated. That being said the rooms are very small and nothing about the rooms is remotely luxurious. And if you are an SPG Platinum member forget about a suite upgrade as they only have one suite at this property according to the front desk clerk who attended me.

Breakfast buffet was very mediocre and for the quality extremely overpriced.

Most ski resorts require full pre-payment at the time of booking and the Sheraton Steamboat is no exception. I booked three nights online at approximately $350 per night and read their no cancellation policy during the booking process. As I had no intention of cancelling nor departing early this was a non-issue and as I have travel insurance for medical emergencies which covers early departures I was unconcerned.

For a hotel charging north of $300 per night certain things are expected to be standard like wi-fi internet in the room. Today this is like electricity and hot water in a good quality (4 star or above) hotel and is indispensable for a business / leisure traveller such as myself. I work 7 days per week and even a ski holiday involves office emails and calls.

The Sheraton Steamboat does not have in room wi-fi. Simply unacceptable for a hotel charging such high rates. The only offer an old fashioned cable connection. How can I connect my blackberry to it? My Iphone? As I'm an international traveller I must use in-room wi-fi signals for emails and communications and can not use international telephnone roaming as it costs literally thousands of dollars per month in roaming charges.

After one night we were forced to check out due to a lack of in-room wi-fi. Things were heavy at my office and I needed middle of the night emergency emails on my blackberry. The hotels response was "we have wi-fi in the lobby". Simply unacceptable and a ridiculous response.

I checked out the next morning and moved a few feet down the street to a much newer and nicer property offering in -room wi-fi. After pleading for a refund of the final two nights of my stay I was repeatedly denied a refund from the Reservations Manager all the way to the General Manager.

Their excuses were pathetic such as "you should have purchased travel insurance". Well, travel insurance doesn't cover a hotel not having wi-fi.

"You should have read our website". Well, for rates north of $300 per night should I read their website to make sure they have hot water? Ridiculous. Wi-fi is standard these days in a good hotel. It's 2011!

Stay far far away from this old tarted up Sheraton. There are much nicer and newer options in Steamboat. And management at this property is inflexible and only interested in protecting revenue at the expense of customer satisfaction. Be forewarned and stay far away from this mediocre property.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Darrell S
JCurnow, Manager at Sheraton Steamboat Resort Villas, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2011

I appreciate your input on providing wireless in addition to the current high speed ethernet option in our guest room. As we are always looking for additional ways to improve the guest experience, we absolutely will consider guest room wireless for a future upgrade. In the meantime, we continue to offer high speed in our guest rooms thru an ethernet connection and wireless remains available at no charge in our lobby and Sheraton Link areas. We are also sorry that you were disappointed by our guest rooms. Our guest rooms average 400+ sq. ft which is quite large by most standards, and our recent $20 million renovation has has been very well received as you can see from previous reviews on this site. Thank you again for your input and I also appreciate you stating that you had a clear understanding of our resorts deposit and cancellation policy. We would have certainly liked to have worked on a resolution with you in person prior to your departure, as I know we could have resolved your issues, should you have made them known to us at the time.

Reviewed January 20, 2011

My husband and I have been to many ski resorts, and we have to say this hotel has one of the best locations for ski-in-ski-out. It always makes skiing more fun when you do not have to lug your skis, poles and boots around - it is the one thing that really gets me down about skiing. So this hotel gets high marks from me based purely on location. The remodel is good too, but you can see some remaining older construction like the elevators and the bathrooms. BUT the bed linens were great - crisp white sheets and new comforters.

Tips:

You do not need to rent a car. The hotel has a free shuttle to take you to restaurants and around town. You must pay a daily resort fee and this shuttle is part of the fee so use it!

There are 2 main shuttle services at the Hayden airport - reserve in advance (Go Alpine). It is just a 30 to 45 min ride depending upon where you are staying. Sheraton was the first drop off and last pick up for Go Alpine so we had the best schedules.

Check online with Sheraton directly for ski packages as we found out later that we could have saved a lot on lift tickets had we booked a package.

Hotel's restaurant Sevens was not great - go out and check out Mambo's (Italian) and there is also a great steakhouse which the hotel highly recommends (cannot recall the name), but the hotel also gives you a coupon for dinner.

There is a store right outside the hotel which sells sundries and snacks so go there to pick up sodas, power bars, last-minute toiletries, etc. I cannot remember the name, but it sells clothing mainly so you can mistaken it as a clothing store - it is on the upper level of the mall area.

Free WIFI was only available in the lobby, but it was very weak and I kept getting dropped signals. Computers were also available in the lobby, but many were down/not working most of the time. So if you must use the internet, you will have to pay a fee and work in your room.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2011

Group of 6 families w/elementary-aged children, 18 total (I’ve been in the hospitality industry for over 10 yrs)

PROS:
• Smiling, welcoming, knowledgeable staff: Rahul @ the Front Desk, Andrew, Kevin and Alex w/the Bell Staff, Jennifer and Lincoln @ 3 Saddles, all made our 4 night stay memorable.
• Play room was a delightful surprise w/shuffleboard, pool, chess, foosball and board games.
• Resort Fee covered all the necessities, so smart and ya don’t feel nickel and dimed to death. Internet in-room, ski storage, free self-parking, hotel shuttle service, 2 bottled waters/day, in-room coffee maker w/Starbucks coffee.
• Awesome location: Ski in/Ski out, gondola’s right next door.
• 2 great restaurants. Coffee shop downstairs. More awesome restaurants w/in walking distance.
• Free bus around town. Grocery stores and downtown shopping are less than 15 min by bus.
• Microwave and toaster are available at no extra charge. First come first serve.
• Music in the lobby. Decently priced glasses of wine and beer. Cocktails are pricey, but there’s always Slopeside Grill and Tug Boat around the corner. Pizzas and pulled pork sandwich are VERY tasty.
• Outdoor fire if you can bare the cold.

CONS:
• ABOSLUTELY NONE

HIGHLIGHTS
We arrived around 9am on Jan 2nd. 3 out of the 6 rooms were already available for check-in. Bell staff stored the rest of our luggage while we got started skiing. When the rooms were ready I called Guest Services and Kevin took our luggage to our rooms.
When the concierge was occupied w/other guests, Kevin and Alex took it upon themselves to arrange a large table at Mango’s (see Mango’s for review. best pizza and wine in town, by far!) and hotel shuttle service for all 18 of us w/in an hour.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank NRambo
Reviewed January 6, 2011

We enjoyed our 5 day stay at the Sheraton. The location right on the mountain can't be beat. The front desk, concierge, and dining room employees were all very helpful. The lock on our door malfunctioned, and the friendly maintenance crew immediately fixed the problem. The lobby is beautiful with lots of places to sit and several fireplaces. We had dinner at Sevens on New Year's eve and it was fabulous. On the down side, the rooms were a bit small for all of our ski gear, and they could use more hanging space. The beds were hard and the pillows were uncomfortable.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family