“Impressive Effort for an Older Property”

Nordic Lodge of Steamboat Springs
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Steamboat Springs
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Impressive Effort for an Older Property”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Ski towns like Steamboat inhabit a different real estate reality than other towns. Land is so expensive, especially on the main street, that I'm sure it is a challenge to generate positive cash flow in an old property. Yet the Nordic Lodge, walking distance to all the shops and restaurants in downtown Steamboat, manages to offer large, clean rooms at a very reasonable price. Friendly staff and owners, and they throw in a hot tub, free parking and free continental breakfast to boot. I don't know if I simply had quiet neighbors, but I didn't hear a sound from other rooms.

In addition to its proximity to the downtown shops, it is right on the bus line that drops off at the ski area transit center.

The only thing I would like to have seen is a second, more sheer curtain on the window to let in the morning sun while getting ready for another ski day.

A great value.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Lone Star State
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Nordic Lodge. Clean rooms, friendly hotel staff, centrally located and great price made for a great time in Steamboat Springs. We were there in Mar. 2013 and they kept the parking lot free of snow and ice. The breakfast was muffins, cereal the usual hotel breakfast.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Mankato, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Stayed at the Nordic Lodge 3/9 - 3/10 and honestly don't have a bad word to say about the place. The rooms were great and quite spacious, beds comfortable, and the hot tub was a great way to end off each day. We were in Steamboat to snowmobile and had a guy come along last minute so we originally had 4 in a room, turned to 5 with one guy on the floor. We went down to the front desk to ask for a few extra pillows and a blanket and instead, Greg gave us the key to the room next door, no additional charge whatsoever. Couldn't believe it. He also moved his car out of his parking spot so we had a place to put our truck and trailer. First time I've ever personally had this great of service from anyone and that alone is enough for me to stay there next time I'm in the area. Their free breakfast is much more than you would expect or get from any other hotel I've stayed at (sliced oranges, 8 kinds of cereal, eggs, bagels, bananas, etc etc.)
Once again, I can't say a bad word about this place or the owner/operator and I would recommend it to any person traveling to this area. We'll be back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Kailua-Kona Hawaii
Reviewed March 7, 2013

My fellow and I randomly stumbled across this place while visiting steamboat and are SO glad that we did! After driving in snow for several hours, we stopped into the Nordic Lodge to see what pricing was like. The pricing was incredibly inexpensive for steamboat which (unfortunately) can leave some people a little leery. Greg, the owner, gave us keys to check out a few of the rooms. The rooms are your typical hotel rooms, but with a hint of rustic charm which made it feel super cozy. We both slept solid all of the nights that we stayed~ never noticing sounds from other people/rooms.
The thing that made this place so wonderful, however, was Greg! He was so wonderful, making us feel like we were visiting a good friend. A highlights:
- The first night we had to do a bit of 'office work' and didn't make it until about 10 minutes before it closed. Greg came by to close everything up and simply asked us to lock up after ourselves. I'm sure this isn't a common thing, but we were being very quiet and it was a special weekend.
- The continental breakfast was a few steps above your typical continental breakfast with hard boiled eggs, whole wheat toast, peanut butter, waffles, cereal, fruit, etc... and of course, caffeine!
- The first day of skiing was full of snow (woohoo!), but I didn't have any goggles and need them. My fellow asked Greg where we could get a decent/cheap pair... Greg insisted that I take his! It saved me money on a snowy winter day.
- Greg got us discounted lift tickets. He didn't just have them on hand~ he literally went and got them from somewhere while we put our layers of clothing on..
- The FREE shuttle to the mountain (and around town) is out the front door
- It's walking distance to tons of restaurants, bars and a local brewery!
- We went to the front desk to borrow a wine key~ ~~ He insisted that we take a couple of nice wine glasses to go with the key
- After we checked out Greg asked what we had planned for the rest of the day~ Strawberry Hot Springs, of course! He immediately grabbed two large towels along with two bottles of water for us. Both free of charge..... and AFTER we had checked out!
I'll stop rambling because this is possibly the longest review ever~ but just know that this really was such a wonderful experience. Thanks so much to the nordic lodge for everything!!!

(I almost hate to write all of this because future people might expect these things... I don't think the actual things that he did for us are typical, but are a prime example of the pride of ownership in which he has ~ He seems to really care about his guests like family... I think the prerequisite is to simply be a nice person)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed last weekend, friends stayed there too. We have a 1 year old, and got one of the rooms with a living room, which worked out great. It was very clean. My recommendation if you have a back issue to bring your own pillow, because the pillows are really hard. I thought breakfast was pretty good, simple, lots of carbs (toaster waffles, donuts, cereal etc). The kids liked it, but the second morning we went out to breakfast. The hotel is very convenient to good restaurants and the ski shuttle. The owners were fantastic.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We had six adults and three dogs and this place had exactly what we needed for our ski trip to Steamboat. The breakfest that was laid out every morning was way more than I would have expected for a place this small and that is most of the reason for the excellent rating. The common room of our little condo was very small and that couldn't fit all six of us in it at the same time was the only drawback but that was our own fault for renting it. If I ski Steamboat again I would stay here in a heartbeat!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Drew R
Arvada, Colorado
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Trying to find an affordable and nice hotel during peak ski season is a challenge. When I found the Nordic Lodge in Steamboat Springs, Colorado at a very affordable price I was leery. I read the reviews, looked at their website and decided to give it a go. I was very pleasantly surprised. As I drove up, I started second guessing myself. It wasn't "inviting" and looked like a motor inn from the past. The gentlemen in the office who checked us in was very pleasant, courteous and and helpful. He offered to upgrade us to a king bed from a queen without us asking. We went to our room and were pleasantly surprised. The room's furnishings and decor had been upgraded and were very pleasant. The room wasn't huge but we were only spending the evenings there knowing we would be out skiing all day. The only major criticism I had of the room was the pillows on the bed. They were horrible - flat and hard. There was a microwave, small refrigerator and coffee maker (on request). The continental breakfast was as the gentleman had indicated, "Plenty of variety", and was perfect for our needs. The location is good as well. It is in the heart of the downtown district of Steamboat Springs where many restaurants and shops are within walking distance. The ski area is about a 10 minute drive away. All in all, if you want a clean, friendly, affordable hotel in a good location you can't beat the Nordic Lodge. It's nothing fancy but then you have to pay big bucks for fancy. This is a good deal for the price.

Room Tip: The rooms on the first floor, curbside make loading and unloading ski gear and luggage a breeze.