“best steaks in Steamboat”

8th Street Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
8th Street Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Quality and variety of meats was excellent.Service was also top notch,even during a busy time.
Wine selection was good,without being over priced.Could use some high end french wines,but they would be pricey.Salad bar abundant and with fresh produce. Ambience perfect for a relaxed
ski/vacation meal.Cooking your own meat allows people to get up and mix and talk;however self
cooking a pricey dinner is not everybody's cup o'tea. I had mine cooked to perfection by the owner or his staff(I did ask before hand if that was possible ) Josh ,our server was friendly and quick. . The owner was always around helping ,etc .Do not find many places like this.
We were 7 people.No complaints.All very happy

Reviewed February 6, 2013

It’s worth viewing a trip to the 8th Street as an experience, not just a meal out. As you’ll have gathered, you get to cook your own steak on a communal grill. This is fun and different, but it has its drawbacks. Although the 8th Street deserves much more than its current Tripadvisor rating and ranking, it’s this experience that is one of the reasons I can’t give it a 5. Sure, I knew what I was letting myself in for and with a few return trips I’m sure I’d perfect the cooking of just one cut of meat (cuts which are excellent, I should add). However, I think they’d do well to have a chef on hand for those of us that don’t want to cook it ourselves (it would be just as cool to watch someone capable cooking it to be fair) - especially given the cost. It's not cheap.

One of the drawbacks is that as a group of six we all got our meat at roughly the same time, but the different cuts and different preferences made of different cooking times (although we pretty much all got it wrong). Despite some cunning planning with a watch, we still couldn’t coordinate getting back to the table at a similar time.

Just to compound that problem, the side dishes arrived a little late, especially for the early returners. Things need to be a little more slick, although in fairness our waitress was very pleasant and helpful and the whole place has a good feel to it. Side note: Possibly because of the massive grills, the rest of the place is quiet chilly; wear a jumper!

Important stuff: Forget the ‘home fries’ and get the garlic mash instead; but most of all, go for the 8th Street Tater dessert. I would go there just for that if they’d let me. For some reason, this has to rank as one of the most ridiculous and sublime desserts I’ve ever had. I have simple tastes (chocolate and ice-cream are favourites) and this thing is out of this world. This dessert alone nearly propels the restaurant to 5 stars.

Nearly, but not quite. If there was more time and less choice in town, we would probably have gone back and achieved better results, but in a holiday town that isn’t always possible. Please 8th Street, consider a chef in your business plan, if just for a couple of nights a week; that could make you five star venue.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

This is definitely a guy or group restaurant. When we were seated, we saw the large grill in the back, and found out we selected and then cooked our own steaks! They have help for those not familiar with grilling, and several seasonings for your steak. It was a bit pricey, but worth it in my eyes for the unique experience. Three suggestions: 1) Go off peak to enjoy the grill experience. A large group came in after us and flooded the grill, so that they had to take turns. 2) Share side dishes. We shared an order of fries for the two of us and it was more than enough. 3) Grill your bread too! But remember to put on extra butter so the bread doesn't dry out.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

The USP of this place is the fact that the diner cooks their own steak. That's fine, but i'm not as good a cook as someone who's paid to do it full time, and I can't help but feel I didn't get the best from the Kobe Fillet I ordered. The meat itself was fabulous and I can't blame the restaurant for my below-par effort in cooking it.

The "8th street tater" is one of the best desserts i've ever eaten. Service was good and the waitress was very attentive, if a little disjointed due to the inconsistency in when the diner will be ready for their sides etc. Again - can't blame the house for this, but overall I can't help but think that an *excellent* restaurant has been made *very good* by the apparent lack of active chefs.

That said, the communal cooking idea is one that adds a different social element to the dining experience and well worth trying out. Had someone else been cooking - I've have been back there at least once more this week though.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

At the 8th Street Steak House you select your individual cut of meat from the cooler and then you grill it to your taste. Good salad bar and ala cart items.