“Just okay”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in South Fork
Denver
“Just okay”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Spruce Lodge was not what we expected. The first night, when we got there, there was a very loud group that kept us up much later than we wanted to be. For a couple staying in a lodge suite, I guess we expected more of a relaxing atmosphere. Part of the noise issue probably came from the inch and a half gap between the door and the floor. As mentioned, the breakfast left a lot to be desired; there were not many options, everything was prepackaged and self serve. Most disappointing was we really didn't even get a chance to speak to the owners. By our second night, we were still trying to figure out how to settle our bill.

And Southfork was EXTREMELY quiet. If you're looking for a fun mountain town, maybe consider Creede.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
dplucinskihotel, Owner at Spruce Lodge, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
First, I would like to sincerely apologize about the noise. We are sorry that the people at the bar next door were rowdy. Occasionally, during the summer, they have a horseshoe tournament that lasts until midnight. This causes 2 out of our 17 rooms to be somewhat louder than the others. Unfortunately, we never know when these tournaments are going to occur, so we can't warn people in advance or even leave those rooms empty.

Just for the record, our continental breakfast includes:
Bagles, english muffins, raisin bread, white bread, cheerios, fruit loops, raisin bran, strawberry and apple nutri grain bars, chocolate chip granola bars, blueberry and cinnamon pop tarts, blueberry muffins, chocolate chip muffins, 3 kinds of danishes, assorted oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, apples, milk, orange juice, apple juice, coffee, hot apple cider, hot chocolate, coffee and 12 different types of specialty hot tea. And all of this is FREE. If you'd like bacon and eggs, we now serve hot breakfast in our dining room for around $8.00. I don't know what else we can give you for free.

About finding the owners and settling up your bill... Every single person is given my personal cell phone number at checkin with specific instructions to call me 24 hours a day if they need ANYTHING. If you want to sit and chat in the lobby - call and ask when we are available. We will make time!!! We can not, however, read your mind and determine if you want us to sit down with you over morning coffee or if you want to be left alone. I know, when I go away for the night, I want to just be left alone so I can relax!!! If you need to settle your bill ----CALL AND ASK!!! We are extremely busy and have a large property to clean and maintain. On the morning you were looking for me I was painting in room #9.

It is so frustrating to have people buy a discounted groupon voucher, stay for less than half price and then complain that they cant find us..... we are out cleaning, working, painting, I can not afford to hire a bunch of employees and contractors just so I can sit at the front desk and play hostess. Times are tough, we do the very best we can.

PLEASE, folks. If you want something while you are here --- CALL AND ASK FOR IT. We can not read your mind.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Decatur, Texas
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Our room was very small but the bathroom was tiny!!! There was no additional countertop or anywhere for 2 people to get ready at the same time. The shower was so cramped it was impossible to get out from underneath the shower head making it very difficult to shave your legs. Also, I didn't realize this but there is no air conditioning which fortunately wasn't a problem at the time of our visit. There was no ice bucket in the room. I would not have known where to get ice had I not seen another visitor carry his ice bucket to the office. That seems odd to me you have to ask for ice. I was not told this when I checked in. Their website says double queen rooms have a tub and shower, ours had no tub. I'm thinking we were given a standard room but possibly charged for the double queen although I saw no description of the standard room. If our room was larger than a standard, then they must be extremely small. The clerk was not rude but wasn't overly friendly either. The room we had in Ouray puts this one to shame, with very little difference in the price. From my experience, I am surpised they earned Trip Advisor Certificate of Exellence. I would not go back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
This is soooo frustrating!

If you didn't think you got the room you reserved, you should have just ASKED us! Every single person is given my personal cell phone number at checkin. Every single guest is instructed to call me 24 hours a day if they need ANYTHING. Including Ice. Seriously. I've gotten out of bed at 3am to take people ice - and I do it with a smile.

About your room - half of the double queen rooms are large and contain a bathtub. Half are smaller and newly remodled. You got one the smaller, newly remodled rooms. If you wanted a tub and larger room, or if there was any question about your reservation you should have ASKED ABOUT IT!

A few things you neglected to mention in your review -- the brand new pillow top queen size beds with the fluffy white feather comforters. You forgot to mention the 40" flat screen tv mounted on the wall or the custom funiture or the original artwork. You didn't say anything about the amazing golf course view or the custom lighting and new carpet.

You did mention that there wasn't any air conditioning, even though you didn't need it. What about the hand crafted, custom made screen door?

The clerk was not rude but not overly friendly either? What exactly do you want us to do????

---Sigh ---
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We recently stayed in the South Fork Suite for 2 nights. I am only able to give 3 stars due to a number of things that prevented us from having a better time.

Our room was next to the door that leads onto the upper level balcony. Unfortunately, the wooden screen door does not have a spring and therefore bangs closed if not shut gently by hand. While not a major issue it was certainly annoying to have to hear this.

The room has 2 rooms, each with a queen bed and a large bathroom. We picked the room next to the bathroom while our daughter had the other. Unfortunately we found out later that this was one of the noisiest beds that we had ever slept in. The springs squeeked after the smallest movement, so this was not relaxing at all. The next night we switched to the other better bed which didn't make any noise.

Then, on the first morning, we were woken at around 6.30am by kids playing and making a lot of noise, included loud roaring sounds. It almost sounded as if they were in the room. This went on for a while and we eventually decided to get up instead of try and get a bit more sleep. Thankfully the next day, Sunday, all was quiet so that was a relief.

We went to look at the hot tub but after walking past the mess in the back and then seeing a pile of laundry on the floor just outside the hot tub room we decided not to risk it.

In addition to all of this, the wood floors in our rooms we not that clean so walking in bare foot needed to be avoided. When checking under the beds before we left I noticed dust and dirt that had obviously been there for a while.

I did really like the bathroom which was a good size and clean.

From reading a lot of reviews on TripAdvisor before we booked we were expecting a better experience. Also, the owner was also not as friendly to us as advertised in other reviews, we didn't feel as welcome as we would have liked.

Overall, the lodge certainly wasn't bad, but these problems, while they may seem small, basically added up to ruin the stay for us.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your honest feedback. We have made several changes due to your review.

--We purchased a spring for the screen door - no more noisy slamming.
--We have tightened up the springs on the antique bed (original to the building) in the room closest to the bathroom. We will not remove or replace it - this is the first complaint we've ever had about it.
--We have cleaned up the junk outside the back door, although there is nothing we can do about the laundry. Its a hotel - we have huge piles of laundry to get through every day. It is neatly sorted in piles along the hallway. ---In our defense, however, about the junk outside. That is all leftover stuff from our kitchen renovation which was completed exactly 4 days before you stayed with us. The dump is not open on weekends and therefore there was ONE DAY that the stuff sat outside the back door near the hot tub room before we were able to remove it. Look, we are always renovating something, always changing, upgrading and making the rooms nicer. Renovation causes a mess, there's no getting around that. It's not as if the debris sits around for months.

--We have contracted to have a loft built in the back area near the laundry for our kids to hang out in so they are not in the lobby annoying people. Even though it was not our kids making noise on this occasion. We also heard the commotion that morning, and best we can tell, another guests children were carrying on about something in the Lobby. I know ours were still asleep downstairs with us.

In all, we are confident that no one else will have the same annoyances you experienced. We only wish you'd said something to us before you left instead of just leaving this somewhat negative review. We would have happily explained the hot tub situation, happily wiped your rooms floors, and more. It is SO FRUSTRATING to have someone take advantage of a groupon offer, stay in our home for less than half price and then publicly trash us when they leave. Just say something while you're here -- we will move Heaven and Earth to make it right.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I stayed at the Spruce Lodge a total of 4 nights in early Sept, 2012. I planned the first two nights to get ready for a backpacking trip and to be close to the trailhead, but when the trip didn't take as long as planned and I extra time before I had to return home, I stayed two more nights. The rooms I stayed in were clean and the beds were very comfortable, which was really great after sleeping in a tent for a few nights. Dee and Rob are wonderful hosts and were very helpful and their kids are a lot of fun. The lodge is in a good location, with several restaurants within walking distance. They went way out of their way to shuttle me down a four-wheel drive road to my trailhead, and without that, I wouldn't have been able to do a hike that I had planned for the better part of a year. The continental breakfast if good, but if the on-site restaurant is open, make sure to go for delicious home cooking for breakfast and lunch. I can't wait to go back next summer and maybe to take some family with me. I'd recommend The Spruce Lodge to anyone looking for a nice place to stay in South Fork.

Room Tip: Rooms 4 facing the mountains are the best and if you're lucky, you may get a short coyote serena...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed September 5, 2012

The grounds are wonderful and very well maintained! The staff is great and makes sure everything is in place. This was our 2nd visit and I am sure we will stay there again. The only thing that they could do to make any better is invest in some new matrices.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Temple, Texas
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We own a cabin in South Fork, and we were looking for a place that had quiet rooms with comfortable beds for our overflow crowd. The owners at Spruce Lodge went the extra mile to make sure that we were satisfied. Tip: If you are booking a room with two queen beds, be sure to request one that has been renovated. Continental breakfast is included. We would not hesitate to return to this property.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Staying at the spruce lodge was a great luxury. The service exceeded expectations and went above and beyond in customer satisfaction. The room was always cleaned to perfection and well supplied. Never had to worry about asking for anything extra because everything and more was provided.

• Stayed June 2012
#2 of 2 in South Fork
Wolf Creek Ski Lodge
Wolf Creek Ski Lodge
#1 of 19 in South Fork

Been to Spruce Lodge? Share your experiences!