“Excellent STAFF, Fun and unpretentious accommodation, and of course great Boarding”
Review of Wildwood Snowmass

Wildwood Snowmass
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Snowmass Village
Reviewed May 27, 2013

This was my first visit to Aspen and Snowmass. Let me start by saying I will be back, and soon! We stayed with the wildwood on recommendation of a friend. I had never ridden in the states before I was a little apprehensive to venture out of my Canadian comfort zone.
From a friendly shuttle driver, to a quick check in and great rooms we got off to a great start. It was not long before we ran into a few problems. As the rooms were very recently renovated (or repaired) our toilet seat was not bolted down. The first call went out to Kayla at the front desk. She had someone to our room in minutes. The second call went out when me and my buddy realized we only had one shower towel. Again, Kayla swiftly corrected the situation. She even had the bindings I ordered waiting for me at the desk when we asked for our keys; and did not laugh too hard when I had to ask for her help finding a tool to put them on my board later that night after all the shops had closed.
As much as I’m sure she started to dread our calls Kayla seamlessly handled all our requests and turned those moments into funny memories. So four months later, I am finally getting around to one more well deserved thank you!

Other beauties of note:
Jami the chef. I had a chance to speak briefly with Jami after a meal in the Westin. His obvious passion and excitement for food is infectious. We talked shop for a little bit after I told him I managed a restaurant. He was eager for feedback as I told him about a particular sauce I enjoyed with a duck dish.

Engineer guy (maintenance): I forget his name (maybe tom?young guy around my age 26) heard that we were rookies to Snowmass and took me out for the morning with his buddy boarding before his afternoon shift. We went through the glades to find the Hunter S. Thompson Shrine a shop owner told me about the night before.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank michaeljusticemirski

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Stayed in April as a part of a ski conference .Working at a ski resort myself I see alot of different styles and products and was happy with my choice Rooms are basic but clean and have everything you need. Hot tub and pool area were always clean and I liked that they were outdoors.

There is a lot of funky old school ski memorabilia and the decor and colors reflect a ski resort from the early days of ski resorts which I thought was unique. Most ski resorts now cater to high end foodies and luxury seakers etc and have lost a lot of the heart n soul of the ski lifestyle.

Front desk staff were all really laid back and friendly and had an answer for any question I had. I personally prefer that style to the corporate cookie cutter style of customer service found at other ski resorts.

Bartenders at the pub were awesome and the food was fast and good.Because of that, there was no need for another spot and I ate there everyday.

The only negative was the elevator always had an odd odor but with all the pub food i ate at the hotel the stairs were much needed exercise anyway.

all in all if you want a relaxed ski hotel with a cool vibe, if you want the luxury experience the westin is next door.

1  Thank Liana H
Hayden81615, Guest Experience Team at Wildwood Snowmass, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

We really appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed TripAdvisor review of the Wildwood Snowmass. We especially love to hear that the bartenders were awesome and that you ate here every day! You’ll have to check us out again in the summer when we’ll have parties by the pool and plenty of entertainment after sunny days spent hiking, biking & rafting.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

The wildwood snomass is located in the center of Snowmass Village, so very close to shopping and restaraunts. It's a few hundred yards to the lift, which is also convenient. I visited the last weekend of Feb/beginning of March 2013, and, for the $105/night I got on Hotwire, the price can't be beat. A few things to note: the elevator doesn't go up to the 4th floor so if you have a problem with a flight of stairs, don't stay on 4. The rooms were cozy, but basic - if you are looking for luxury try elsewhere (walls are thin). The housekeeping often didn't show up until late late afternoon - and as others have mentioned, since this is a motel type setup, their carts rumble down the outdoor corridor like a freight train. (Though I did find the 4th floor pretty quiet). The bar is funky and cool. Outdoor hot tubs and pools nice. Lots of lounge area in the main lobby, including a game room for kids and movie nights.

I did have to ask several times for the "resort charge" of $20/ day be removed from my credit card as I was not using those amenities (airport shuttle, ski valet, Internet - you will be charged that fee for using any of those). Overall, a really good value for Snowmass village. I would stay there again if traveling on a budget.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank beantownjen
Hayden81615, Guest Experience Team at Wildwood Snowmass, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. We’re so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Wildwood Snowmass and that you found it to be a good bargain. We hope to welcome you back in the summer when Wildwood makes the perfect basecamp for hiking, horseback riding, backpacking, rafting, and tons of outdoor music.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I just spent six nights at the Wildwood as part of a large conference group. My room was located on the third floor facing the pool and just around the corner from the elevator (which reminds me ...why was the elevator so smelly all the time?). My experience here certainly is similar to others with both pros and cons to report. Yes the main floor lounge/bar/lobby area are now nicely decorated ....we were fortunate that due to the conference being hosted mainly at the Westin, and the Wildwood being owned by the same company, that some special breakfast offerings were put out everyday ....lovely individual fruit bowls, yogurt, multiple pastries and breads for toasting along with cereal, juices, coffee/tea.
I think a key take away re the Cons of the property are reflected in the statement by another conference attendee that her room was in a non-renovated part of the hotel. I asked her to describe it and - yup - to her surprise her room was just like ours, ie, renovated to LOOK like a throwback and probably enforced by some of the tacky furniture in the rooms. The bed was super comfy though ....no complaints. But PLEASE PLEASE add some more storage in the sink vanity area. That was hands down the worst feature of the room....the sink/vanity is outside of the room where the toilet/tub are and in plain view of the sleeping area. That also meant if I was up earlier or later than my roommate (I had one ....) and if you wanted to use the vanity area the light would go out into the sleeping area too. There was just one shelf on a pegboard, and a row of hooks for any kind of toiletry placement. This is really inadequate for a couple of ladies. Please add more shelves ....or replace the one board that runs the entire front /under the vanity with some kind of cabinet with drawers. Please. Because of things like this, most of us, who were considered leaders for group trips, said we would not be comfortable booking OUR groups into the property. Maybe a couple more fixes could help. I guess a lot of us ("mature" ) also were not used to rooms which had outside access only. I was happy though to see that I COULD adjust the heat controls in the room!
Location is good and staff was very helpful.

1  Thank MEDISKIS

We really appreciate you providing your feedback on TripAdvisor. We’re so glad to hear that you enjoyed the lounge/bar/lobby area and the special breakfast offered during your conference. I have passed on your suggestions for the sink vanity area to our management team. We certainly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

The location of this property in Snowmass is great and it offers easy access to skiing. There is a pool and a hot tub and a pretty cool bar/restaurant. That is where the good ends and the bad begins. I was there for a ski travel conference and was incredibly underwhelmed by the rooms, the service and the overall vibe of this place. I understand it was recently renovated and they made a valiant effort towards making it fun and funky. They succeeded in the bar and lounge area, but the rest of the building would have been better off having been torn down and rebuilt.

Perhaps the property was overwhelmed by the sheer number of guests in town, but they were grossly unprepared. I have a feeling that my room must have been out of order prior to my arrival but they used it anyway. For those not familiar with the term out of order, it essentially means there is a maintenance issue of some sort that make the room unfit to be rented. The rooms remind me of a college dorm after a parent sponsored trip to IKEA. Overall the room was fine, however there were a number of broken or missing items that lead to the 2 Star rating above.

The sink was broken. When I tried to turn on the water, the entire fixture moved. The shower had a separate cold and hot knob and the cold knob was not even attached. It was laid out nicely on the bathmat. This screams, we know it is broken, but we either can't fix it or don't want to until the season is over, so we'll just leave the broken piece here so you can wedge it into the fixture and still get cold water. The shower head was also incredibly low. I'm not very tall, 5'10" and I had to duck to get the water on my head. A buddy who is 6'2" stayed here too and basically had to sit down in order to shower. Last but certainly not least, there was no shampoo or conditioner in the room. When I told housekeeping they apologized and told me they would bring some right away, They returned shortly with a 3 gallon jug ready to refill my dispenser. That is when it got worse, they realized there simply was no dispenser! They apologgized some more and said they would send a houseman to install one. That never happened. So I went to the front desk and explained the situation. The front desk agent apologized and started searching for some small bottles, which he could not locate. I told him I had meetings to attend and he simply replied, no problem, I'll locate some shampoo and put it in your room. By the next morning I still had nothing. When the housekeepers stopped by again to service the room I declined service and simply told them I really just need some shampoo. The housekeeper was mortified that nothing had been done. She apologized again and seemed to jump to rectify the situation. I now she meant well and I'm sure that correcting this matter was out of her control because I never did get any shampoo. After 3 days, I checked out as scheduled and went home.

The room was uncontrollably HOT too. The thermostat was set at 58 degrees and it was still stifling. I don't know if they are just for show, but they certainly don't control the temperature in the room. I had to open the windows in order to sleep.

When I checked out there was no question of "how was your stay"? I have a feeling the front desk would just rather not ask so they don't have to continually apologize or address any problems.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
1  Thank VailtoVermont
Hayden81615, Guest Experience Team at Wildwood Snowmass, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

We really appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed review. I sincerely apologize for the challenges that you faced during your stay, but I am grateful that you’ve shared the specifics so that we can address everything you mention with the leadership team and all associates. We have made many changes in an attempt to solve all of the problems that you experienced. We’re glad to hear that you at least enjoyed the pool, hot-tub, bar/restaurant, and we hope for the opportunity to welcome you back in the future for a much more enjoyable stay.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

First let me say....location, location, location! One of the things that this hotel has going for it is it is practically ski in ski out. It is a stones throw from the "village" (however unimpressed with it I was...). This newly "renovated" hotel is right next to the newly renovated Westin and let me say, they did a fabulous job on the Westin. What I saw of it was gorgeous. Walking into the Wildwood, I loved the space. It's fun and funky and has a lot of personality. I think they did a great job with the lounge and common areas. Before I get into the negatives, let me preface my comments by saying, I "get" you guys (as a previous manager comment said: "some people don't 'get' us")...I get it. It is a VALUE property in a location that is populated with extremely expensive lodging.

Walking into my room, I liked it. The decor is fun and different. There is a lot of storage space which made it really easy to unpack and feel more at home. I loved having a fridge but it was too small. Upon further inspection of the room and bathroom especially, I realized they've essentially put lipstick on a pig here. The financial investment in "renovating" the rooms was minimal. New furniture in the bedroom, new paint on the walls but nothing was replaced. The tiles were chipped, the toilet was chipped, there were cracks in the wall, the soap holder in the shower was EXTREMELY used. I'm shocked that Starwood would let these things pass as acceptable. I met three different people who were staying at the property and thought they were in "non-renovated rooms". Yes, really.

When I first got to my room, the faucet in the bathtub was leaking. It took 4 phone calls and 3 days to get this fixed. Chinese water torture much?

Every morning, it sounded like someone was throwing a bowling ball to the ground in the room above me. Beware, this is an old building so it gets VERY loud at times.

The WORST part of my stay however, is the urine stains on the base of the toilet. They were there when I arrived and there when I left (shouldn't be hard to find this photo...). Yes, I could've called to have them clean it but I wanted to see if SOMEONE would notice it. I understand the staff had no say how the property was renovated but urine stains and lack of attention to a simple service call for the faucet is simply unacceptable.

All this being said, I'm not sure I would stay here again. Yes, it is a value property with a great location BUT there is clearly no standard of service and you cannot blame this on working out the kinks. Following up on a service call and CLEANING URINE STAINS are pretty common sense stuff. I won't be coming here again.

3  Thank Mtngirl245
Hayden81615, Guest Experience Team at Wildwood Snowmass, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of Wildwood Snowmass. We will be able to use your comments as a learning tool to help train all of our associates. Obviously, the issues that you experienced regarding the cleanliness level of your room are completely unacceptable. I wish that you would have pointed it out while you were here so that we could have addressed it immediately. We have made sweeping changes to our entire housekeeping department, and I am confident that our future guests will not experience the same frustrations. On the flip side, we are glad to hear that you enjoyed the new “fun and different” décor and that you were able to take advantage of our prime location. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back as our special guest and provide you with a fantastic vacation.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

I stayed at the Wildwood several years ago for a conference and again last week. My memory from the first visit was of a slightly dated, nothing special property. I was pleasantly surprised to see the remodeled lobby and restaurant, and then the room. The theme is kind of 70s retro, with bold colors and funky furniture and decor. I flashed back to my childhood when I saw the cat statue with calico patchwork decoupage in the lobby! The room itself was a good size, with two beds and decent storage. The one thing that bothered me was the light - there were two bedside lights, but the only overhead light was over the table at one end of the room and it was not strong enough. It always felt a bit dark in the room.

The staff was very friendly and responsive; overall I was very pleased with my stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Thanks so much for your review. We’re so glad to hear that you enjoyed the “funky retro remodel” at the Wildwood. Also glad to hear that you found the staff friendly and responsive to your needs. We really appreciate all of your comments and hope to see you again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Snowmass Village
Pokolodi Lodge
Pokolodi Lodge
#4 of 13 in Snowmass Village
Stonebridge Inn, A Destination Hotel
Stonebridge Inn, A Destination H...
#2 of 13 in Snowmass Village
Hotel Aspen
Hotel Aspen
#10 of 35 in Aspen
St. Moritz Lodge & Condominiums

Been to Wildwood Snowmass? Share your experiences!