“Average- book if you are on a budget”
Review of Wildwood Snowmass

Wildwood Snowmass
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Snowmass Village
Fraser, Colorado
“Average- book if you are on a budget”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I went to Aspen to see the Xgames. All the hotels were outrageously expensive. Lucky for me I got a fantastic rate on hot-wire for $122 plus tax. The rate beat all the other hotels in Aspen and Basalt. For the price I paid I was fine with the accommodation and was glad I didn't pay the price advertised on Expedia. Yes I would prefer the Westin but I did not want to pay the price to stay there. On this trip it was only for 1 night and we didn't plan on spending much time in the room. The negative is that parking is an additional $30 and I didn't know until I arrived. There isn't a bellman and we just got a cart and toted our stuff to our room so it wasn't a big deal. The lobby and restaurant feels like a dorm or hostel. The new makeover gives a retro kind of vibe to the place. Although it has had a new remodel the exterior old and the floor plan is funky. The rooms feel a little dated and I wasn't big into the retro funky decor. I think they are trying to appeal to a younger, hip, cool crowd. If you enjoy luxury this is not the place for you.
Our room was average, the bed was comfy and the bath felt a little dated. I liked the duvet cover and down comforter but I wish they had given a blanket between the sheets and comforter. They have cubby space and a flat screen in each room. Another perk was a small refrigerator that was in the room. It's a basic clean room at a good price.
The staff is good and the service of the front desk and in the restaurant made the stay a lot nicer. The burgers are good in the restaurant. The new restaurant bar area reminds me of the living room of a hostel. I think they show movies and have live music sometimes. They have a ping pong and arcade room but I didn't go in it.
All in all it was a decent stay. It's great for the younger crowd. Would I stay here again? It depends on the vacation- for a romantic getaway no- but if price is an issue and I am not going to spend much time in the room or hotel- then yes.

Room Tip: Book on hotwire to get a good deal
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bcogswell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Jackson, Wyoming
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Just some things to be aware of when booking this hotel.

I didn’t think it would be necessary to call ahead and see if our room was ready because we didn’t checked until 3:30PM, on their website it states check in is at 3PM, I just assumed this was guaranteed like any other hotel. I wish I would have called because our room wasn’t ready until after 5PM, which was a result of me asking 3 times when our room was going to be ready and informing them we had dinner in Aspen at 6PM and both of us wished to clean up after our long day of travel. We still ended up having to cancel a reservation at Steak House 316 (a reservation I made 3 weeks prior because this is an extremely popular restaurant in Aspen). Once we were provided a room, without being informed of the change we had a room with two queen beds not a king room as booked. However, the room was located right near the bus station which was convenient for us.

I was also told when making my reservation (directly with the hotel) that parking was free because I specifically asked. I was curious if this would be an added fee when we checked in and if so how much. when I mentioned this at check the front desk agent said she didn’t know why reservations would tell me that and informed me it would be 30 dollars. No apology, and a look of “what do you want me to do about it” on her face. So that was helpful.

Don’t expect a bellman, we had to take our bags and skis to the room ourselves (bell cart does not fit well into elevator), which we weren’t provided any direction or orientation to locate room/facilities. At check-in I asked if we could leave our skis with ski valet for next day and they said the easiest would be to give them our equipment the next day after skiing and they could hold them over night. This really didn’t make sense to me because the easiest option would be to give them my skis now so I didn’t have to carry them up to my room, which was a pain trying to fit a bell cart and skis in their extremely small elevator. So since we were a two night stay with one day of skiing this service was not available to us.

From reading other reviews, I can agree that it does look like a glorified dorm room and you can hear everything (thin walls). There also wasn’t a trash in our room and there were still towels and an ice bucket on our balcony from the previous guest. I didn’t want to bug the front desk anymore so we never informed them of either. However, it was a clean large enough room with a comfortable bed. The interior and thin walls didn’t bother us, was just more annoying after our frustrating check in and having to change our plans that first night.

Basically if you are traveling on a budget and looking for a hotel with good location to the snowmass mall, the bus stop, and is also clean then this is a good hotel for you. My boyfriend described it as a good hotel for a ski trip with all his guy friends. I would only stay here again if I got a cheaper rate and wasn’t looking for a weekend getaway with my boyfriend, but next time will upgrade to the Westin Hotel. I wasn’t aware amenities such as a bellman, check in at guaranteed time, ski valet, more adequate service at the front desk, etc. would not be included at the Wildwood and this was my mistake in assuming and not researching the property. If you want better service and overall experience then you need to pay another $80 plus to stay at the Westin. I wasn’t expecting this to be a 5 star hotel but I also don’t think the issues mentioned above are too much to ask for at any hotel in Snowmass.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank skibumm86
New York
Reviewed January 28, 2013

The Wildwood is as close as you can get to ski in- ski out without technically being so. It's a bit of an older motel, but they've spun that into an endearing kitschiness that is kind of fun. The evenings include a fun bar with live music and movie nights. The two hot tubs, heated pool and arcade also make fun bonuses. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed January 27, 2013

First time to Snowmass and first time on tripadvisor. The Westin was terrific resort built inside a cozy town which replicates Belgium. Lot's of cool locals. New Belgium Brewery has one of the best pizza's I've ever had. The mexican pizza was off the hook!!! Femanda Palvin waited on us... great service with a perfect smile and really entertaining.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
usa
Reviewed January 25, 2013

“CLOSE TO THE SLOPES, good value on hotwire at $100 a night”
Reviewed January 23, 2013 NEW
- positives: close to lifts and the mall
rooms are adequate but dated - the whole facility is very dated, but they try to work with this to make it hip - it falls somewhere in between.
nice pool and hot tubs.

parking is $30 if you are staying a day or a week

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
New York
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed at the Wildwood for almost one week on January and to be frank, I believe this is not the season to visit it. They converted the property over 2012 but it seems to be "not quite there yet".
The pros:
1)Close to ski
2)you can use the Westin hotel's concierge and ski valet (which is literally next door)

The cons:
1)We went with our toddler and they literally took away our crib in the middle of our stay! there were no apologies and the explanation was "well, you know it's not guaranteed, right?"
2)You can hear people walking in the floors above you. We lived on the third floor and heard the people on the fourth floor walking in their hotel room all day long.
3) The Wildwood and the Westin offers free car service for some destinations. On one night, we asked for a car to pick us up at a hotel. It's a short distance walking but it was uphill and cold so we didnt want to expose the kids to the cold. Well, it took us 3 phone calls and over 45 minutes for them to arrive. In retrospect, we could have walked it in about 15 minutes but whenever we called, they would say that someone was coming to pick us up.
4) Elevator is old. It's a small property so there is only one elevator. At one point, I was with two other people waiting for th elevator and we thought it was broken because we had waited almost 7 minutes. Turns out, it's just REALLY REALLY slow.
5) We paid extra for adjoining rooms and they did not give us the rooms when we arrived. Took them another day to re-jiggled and get the appropriate rooms.

Summary:
Just be aware. The can be a good property and it has a great location. It's not supposed to have a lot of amenities but from our trip, the service certainly needs more work.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank TravelMuch?NewYork
JCurnow, Manager at Wildwood Snowmass, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
The Wildwood Snowmass is certainly not typical of any of any of Starwood Hotel's branded properties. It is a throwback ski lodge that was built in the early 1960's that has recently received a cosmetic renovation with emphasis on style and skier convenience. We are working to set a very well understood expecation of the building and the limited services associated with this property. The Wildwood does offer it's own great amenities such as the Bar at Wildwood, a beer hall partnered with New Belgium Brewery, a great outdoor pool and hot tub area and a throwback arcade above the lobby. Wildwood guests also have access to the Westin, next door, and the amenites, ski valet,. retail outlets and restaurants associaated with the Westin. So, if you are looking for a great location at a great rate, then Wildwood is for you! If you require a more full service experience, come see us at the Westin. Either way, you have access to great amenities and the best ski mountain in Colorado, Snowmass!

Travelers are raving about these Snowmass Village hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Snowmass Village
The Westin Snowmass Resort
The Westin Snowmass Resort
#6 of 13 in Snowmass Village
Stonebridge Inn, A Destination Hotel
Stonebridge Inn, A Destination H...
#2 of 13 in Snowmass Village
The Crestwood Condominiums
The Crestwood Condominiums
#3 of 13 in Snowmass Village
St. Moritz Lodge & Condominiums

Been to Wildwood Snowmass? Share your experiences!