“Excellent value and best location”

The Westin Snowmass Resort
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Snowmass Village
Denver, Colorado
“Excellent value and best location”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

This hotel is very reasonably priced and is a true ski-in, ski-out. The rooms are the same quality as any other Westin. I agree with the other feedback though regarding the staff. They don't seem highly trained and are all rather young and inexperienced. The bar is also extremely slow. Also the food is unimpressive. I had a pizza through room service and their breakfast buffet.

Regardless though, this hotel is approximately 1/3 of the price of other hotels in the area and the location is unbeatable. You are steps away from skiing and a lot of food and shopping options. The hotel is not a Ritz Carlton or 4 Seasons, so you have to come in with reasonable expectations. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hayden81615, admin assistant at The Westin Snowmass Resort, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to post a review after your recent stay at The Westin Snowmass Resort. All feedback, both positive and negative, is a useful tool that can be used to improve the guest experience for all future visitors. Your comments have been shared with the Food & Beverage department in particular, and we hope to surpass your expectations when you come back to stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed January 4, 2014

I just loved it the kids club. Rose Was the best...she played with my son ,did arts and crafts and other things he had so much fun and did not want to leave it ....great place great people to be with
For sure i will be back there soon

Room Tip: All rooms are great...great service
Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Ludi989
I think Rose has as much fun as the kids do! Thank you for taking the time to post this wonderful review of our Kids Club, and we're thrilled to hear that you will be coming back again soon.
South Florida
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I have been organizing a group of families from South Florida who ski together during the holidays for almost ten years now. This was our group's first trip to Snowmass. From the moment we arrived at the boutique style Aspen airport, there was a feeling of easiness. The Westin provides free airport service to the hotel and a friendly driver waited for us at baggage claim. The area is spectacular and on our ride in we already knew this would be our new holiday "ski home" for the next several years. Upon arrival at the Westin, Kate at the front desk warmly greeted us with a big smile. The lobby was warm and inviting and each afternoon hot cider and cookies are displayed complimentary to guests.. a really nice touch. There is a beautiful fire place and views of the mountain and a feeling like you are sitting in your own living room. Although it is not ideal for a family of four to stay in a hotel room, the room was thoughfully designed allowing ample storage of all of our ski gear and clothes for the week we were there. It's worth giving up space for the amazing location and wonderful amenities of hotel of this caliber. We were also lucky enough to have a view of the mountain and the lift. This was ski in ski out folks, so much so that our friends staying below said they were even able to ski right off their balcony. The room was bright and cheerful, exceptionally clean, with top of the line linens and pillows (generally expected at a Westin) and probably one of the best hotel showers I ever had (great pressure too) with awesome big fluffy bath towels and robes. I used the fitness center, all brand new state of the art equipment, with flat screen tv's, cold towels, views, etc. We also enjoyed the large hot tubs over looking the mountain and lift. My family enjoyed the breakfast buffet and got to know Chris, our very friendly waiter, who was wonderful even though the restaurant at times was very busy. Kudos to the GM John Curnow and his assistant Beth as well as all their staff. It is not an easy job pleasing so many particular guests, especially when you run the nicest hotel in Snowmass during the busiest week of the year! I spend a lot of time on TA and have learned how to read past some over-critical reviewers who don't understand that sometimes even the most upscale hotel can have some ripples when you are staying from Christmas to New Year's week. All in all our group of 39 people were all extremely happy with the Westin Snowmass and will be back for sure next year!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review after your recent stay. It's so kind of you to specifically mention members of the team like Kate and Chris - they work so hard (especially over the holidays!) and greatly appreciate the recognition. We loved hosting your group from Florida, and we are thrilled to hear that Westin Snowmass will be your new "ski home" for many years to come!
San Diego, California
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I travel all the time. This is a GREAT hotel. First. it is beautiful. And of course ski in/ski out in the heart of the mall area of snow mass. Great drinks at the bar, good restaurant, really everything is what you'd want. But that doesn't begin to describe the staff. First, we were assigned rooms at end of the hotel which didn't work for me (disabled) and we needed a change. Wendy at the desk was very accommodating, friendly, came to our room with us to make sure we were happy. The bell guy (intern) who helped with our luggage was beyond helpful and nice. Then, our daughter was sick and needed to go to the ER in Aspen, during a snowfall, while my husband was out skiing, and the hotel insisted on driving us and coming back to get us. When we returned, the concierge sent up dinner, gratis, to my daughter and followed up on her health the next day. They worked to fit me into a massage after my ER day and found a room for my daughter to do dance practice when she was feeling better. They were simply the nicest, most accommodating and outgoing staff of any hotel I've stayed in (and I've stayed at the Bel Air Hotel, Beverly Hills Hotel, etc.) I couldn't recommend a hotel more.

Room Tip: Hotel is very very long so be sure you aren't in an end room - VERY far from elevator.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for this fanastic review. So glad to hear that your daughter recovered quickly and was dancing by the end of the trip. We hope to welcome you and your family back again soon for a more relaxing and ER-free vacation!
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We booked the Westin Snowmass Resort and spent a week from December 24 - Dec 31.

Our family originally was booked in a deluxe room with two queen bedrooms, however, when we checked in, these were all sold out. The front desk offered us an additional king room for our stay as compensation. Because one of my children was a teenager, this was a great option for him. The room was next door, however, across the elevator so it wasn’t exactly next door and it was a smaller king. This was a dream for him as you could imagine and gave us all space.

The hotel is modern and clean. The rooms are comfortable and have the basic amenities. There are no bathtubs. At least our rooms did not have them. The lights do not work unless you put your room card in the slot when you walk in. After one day, my son said to me, “My lights haven’t been working in my bathroom.” I had to explain that he needed to keep his room card in the slot by the front door.

TIP: Our room was in the Pinnnacle wing. If you have a choice, make sure it’s in the Alpine Wing. We had to take two elevators to get to the lobby. It was a lot of walking each day to get anywhere.

This was a busy time of year and housekeeping service came very late in the day. One day they didn’t make it until that evening and we told them to come back in a few minutes while we napped after skiing. They didn’t return. The next day they didn’t come until late in the day. So we called the front desk to get them to come earlier which didn’t help. We were running out of towels and shampoos, but finally got them back.

I’ve been to many other resorts in CO and they offer a turndown service at night. Perhaps the Westin isn’t in that category, but they really need a nighttime turndown with someone providing fresh linens, water and a nice treat. That would be a great touch.

Our toilet flushing mechanism broke three different times, but after I called service, they fixed it promptly. So it really wasn’t a problem.

There is a hefty resort fee at the hotel of $30 of day and what I don’t understand is why WIFI is not included in this exorbitant price. There is a $10 charge to use WIFI in the room, however, it is free in the lobby.

Transportation is included in the resort fee and a driver will take you anywhere you need to go. We had no problem getting from Aspen airport and back with just minimal arrangements. We also used a driver to take us down the road to “The Edge” restaurant one evening and pick us up.

TIP: Going over the winter holidays? Make reservations for restaurants way in advance. Everything is booked.

Pool: This hotel really needed to update their pool facilities. It was a horrible walk into the cold slippery cement to get to the hot tubs. There were no bathrooms in which to undress on the way either. You had to exit out the door and throw you belongings on a chair outside. I saw no less than three people slip on the cement near the hot tub when during my stay. They needed rubber mats. We would sit there and tell people to be very careful because the water would freeze quickly causing slipping. Once finished in the hot tub, we were left to dry off in a hallway and throw our towels near the door way. This is not what makes a great after-skiing experience.

We came along with a group of about 38 of us. We were able to receive discounts on lift tickets and rentals. This group had also spent a considerable time at the GM’s former property in Steamboat Springs. I was disappointed that there was no acknowledgment of our group by way of a cocktail reception, or anything by the hotel. The group leader did receive breakfast coupons, however, our group was unorganized and unrecognized.

We did eat many meals at the hotel and they were fantastic. Breakfast every morning is not to be missed if you are a skier because the choices in foods was fantastic. My daughter even had them prepare chocolate chip pancakes for her each morning.

TIP: If you don’t want to spend $50 or more each morning for breakfast, go to Starbucks right next to the ski valet.

The mall is just on the ground floor and there are many stores to visit from this hotel within walking distance. My son forgot his ski jacket and the first day we bought one from one of the many stores. Rentals are conveniently located as well. Nothing is too far.

Ski school is really fun to get to for parents. Parents and children can ski down a small hill to meet the class at base camp or they can take a very short ride on a gondola to get there. It’s all close to the ski valet area. You can’t beat the convenience. The last day, I sent my daughter skiing down the hill herself to meet her class.

TIP: Buy ski school package seven days in advance...not day to day. You will save a lot of money.

The ski valet workers are great. They helped me many times take my daughter’s boots off or even mine. No need to wear your boots to your room, everything is stored there.

TIP: If you tip these guys, they will remember you.

If you want to visit Aspen, to eat, ski or shop, there is a convenient shuttle bus that leaves near the hotel every few minutes and takes you right in the center of town.

The hotel is convenient. Is it enough to get me back? With so many other great hotels and resorts, the competition is tough.

Room Tip: Choose a room closest to the Lobby in the Alpine Wing
2 Thank flgirlaol
Hayden81615, admin at The Westin Snowmass Resort, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We greatly appreciate your detailed review of your stay. I do want to clarify a couple of things to avoid confusion for others: The Pinnacle Wing is the main section of the hotel that includes the main lobby/entrance, and the Alpine Wing is the part of the hotel that is a further distance from the main lobby - requiring more than one elevator. Also, in-room WiFi is indeed included in the $30 resort service charge. Please contact the hotel if there was a mistake made on your folio. We certainly enjoyed hosting your ski group from Florida, and we hope to see you all again next year.
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed December 31, 2013

This was our 2nd year that we stayed at the Westin and we will continue. We always have a great time, beautiful hotel with the best location in Snowmass. From the minute we arrive at the airport and get picked up to checking in, we always feel welcome First class treatment from start to finish. The General Manger John Curnow does an excellent job making sure that all the guests have everything they need to give them the best vacation. My family and i will continue coming back, thank you Westin Snowmass for another excellent vacation.

Rubin Family

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hayden81615, admin at The Westin Snowmass Resort, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post such a glowing review on TripAdvisor. We are so excited to hear that you and your family had an excellent vacation here, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back for your 3rd year at Westin Snowmass!
Magnolia, Texas
Reviewed December 31, 2013

It was the day after Thanksgiving last year that my husband was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. We had to cancel our 2012 ski trip to Snowmass and start the treatment for cancer. Skiing was the last thing on our minds. Surviving cancer was our ultimate goal. My husband finished his treatment in June.

After battling cancer with chemotherapy and radiation I had my doubts about this ski trip. The moment we checked in to the Westin, one of the managers, Sly Arvizo, took care of us. His uplifting spirit and positive attitude carried over to our entire trip. Sly went above and beyond to make our trip a success. I kind of put cancer in the back of my mind, and let the Snowmass experience take hold.

Mike Lundgren and Jack Healy greeted us enthusiastically every morning, and were there to help in anyway necessary.

Due to my husbands weight loss from 212 to 167, I , along with my husband's personal trainer, did not think my husband could ski. We went across the street to Christy Sports and Jessica Moss and Ry Deane helped us with everything we needed. including light weight ski's. Their professional boot fitter, Cody, molded Fischer custom fit boots for his feet. My husband skiied better than he had in his entire life!!!

Ellie Wolfe and Celeste Kemp helped with dinner recommendations in Aspen, and made all of the arrangements. They were both wonderful!

Sitting by the fireplace created a superb Christmas ambiance. Joseph Cullinan greeted us with genuine kindness.

In June, I did not think that my husband would survive his fight with cancer. Cancer colors your entire life. My husbands outlook on life and his survival completely changed due to the entire Snowmass experience. I will always be thankful to the wonderful people at the Westin, Christy Sports, and the Snowmass village.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jayne r
Also consider these accommodations in or near Snowmass Village
Stonebridge Inn, A Destination Hotel
Stonebridge Inn, A Destination H...
#1 of 13 in Snowmass Village
Aspen Meadows Resort
#4 of 34 in Aspen
The St. Regis Aspen Resort
Hotel Jerome, An Auberge Resort

Been to The Westin Snowmass Resort? Share your experiences!