“Location location Location!!!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Snowmass Village
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Location location Location!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

GReat location , heavenly beds, all nice. The only problem is parking. Unless you pay a very expensive valet daily parking fee , you will have to park far from the hotel, which is not good. But Breakfast is very good, the room cleanliness, the sky storage , all nice. And LOCATION. Simply the best spot to be in Snowmass

Room Tip: Pick the rooms in the main building , otherwise you will have to get 2 elevators to get to your room...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Rubin_13
Jamaal S, Director of Rooms at The Westin Snowmass Resort, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Hello Rubin and thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are happy that you were able to have such a positive experience. We do have a great location slopeside on Snowmass Mountain with true ski in/out access for our guests. Due to our location on the mountain parking is not as close as one might prefer. As you mentioned we do offer valet parking as a more convenient option for our guests. Thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Naples, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

The location for skiing, cannot be beat. This is ski in ski out and in the middle of the mall which has restaurants, bars, ski rentals/pass purchases, and ski shops. Unfortunately, the mall dies around 5:00-apres skiing-not really! Breakfast at the kitchen was good and good value. It is a buffet-12.50 for adult cold only and 12.00 for children.

I did not find the lobby to be warm and welcoming. There is a modern gas fireplace that gives out little heat and the bar is in the back. There is seating for about 40 people-not much. One waitress for entire bar area.

Front desk and concierge were new to the area and unknowledgeable. No information on amenities or activities given by hotel.

Rooms were small, but nice.Very little closet/drawer space. Especially for ski vacation. We literally had to use all the floor space. Right corner for daughter, left corner for son, front for husband, closet for me.

So, if you are going to ski and ski only-this is a really good (not great) resort. if you are looking for skiing, and apres skiing I recommend staying in Aspen and driving to snow mass.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
We appreciate your feedback about your recent experience with us, naplesgirl. As a newer property feedback like yours is helping us to grow and improve. We are happy that you enjoyed the location. We are sorry that our lobby was not as welcoming for you. I have shared your other feedback regarding the lounge with our Director of Food and Beverage as well as your feedback regarding knowledge of staff with our entire operations team. Thank you again for taking the time to post this review about your stay.
Lake Oswego, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

I'm a Lifetime Platinum Member . . . Will offer a candid review since I have stayed at all SPG Category Level Hotels . . . And should mention we have stayed at the St. Regis in Aspen (as well). This property is Category 5, and exceeds this level (in my opinion). The renovation was completed with good taste and the Lobby is really comfortable. The Kitchen Restaurant offers great food, and setting is very different from breakfast to dinner in a positive way.

The PEOPLE working this property are why it exceeds Category 5. As example . . . Caitlin, one of the Mangers in the Kitchen was most accommodating when my Wife was ill one morning. Everything I asked for was fulfilled, and she "enjoyed" helping me. Francesca, one of the Kitchen's servers was incredibly friendly and enthusiastic about her work, along with a very inspiring attitude. We looked for her every morning to have some dialogue . . . Special girl. And last, perhaps most impressive was Matthew Tyler, Front Desk Director. We personally met Matthew while checking-in . . . He personally greeted us, and offered/assured his assistance for our entire length of stay. He meant was he said . . . While enjoying a few cocktails in the Lobby, Matthew would always go out of his way to say hello, and engage in some conversation. He had some good recommendations for activities, was genuinely concerned about how our stay was going . . . Fully met our needs when we elected to extend our stay, with no hassle whatsoever . . . simply Superb Service. There's no question in my mind that Matthew will grow within Starwood Management . . . They have great value with this employee, and this property is truly rewarded to have such PEOPLE there !!

Sincerely, Dan & Betsy

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Daniel R
Hello Daniel R. First, congratulations on such an important milestone in becoming a Lifetime Platinum member with Starwood! Thank you for taking the time to post this candid review on your recent stay with us. I am truly delighted that Caitlin and Francesca in Snowmass Kitchen, as well as Matt Teyler our Director of Front Office were all able to make such a positive impression on you during your experience. We certainly agree that PEOPLE make the difference in any resort and we empower our associates to look for opportunities to exceed our guests' expectations by understanding each individual guest's needs and expectations. Please return and thank you for your feedback.
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

1) We were traveling with my 2-year-old nephew. As a result, we called in 4 times before we arrived to request rooms that were close to the elevators, because farther rooms require going up and down stairs which would be difficult with a stroller. We also advised the hotel 4 times that we would be arriving early with a 2 year old and that we would need our rooms ready a bit earlier. When we arrived, they gave us the farthest rooms possible, literally like a 5 minute walk, and our rooms were not ready for several hours.

2) Due to the delay for our room being ready, we decided to go have an early lunch. It was 11:00 am and the hostess at Snowmass Kitchen tells us that they do not start serving lunch until 11:30 so we cannot even sit. After a bit of arguing, they finally let us sit but still no food until 11:30am. Unacceptable. Honestly, if you’re going to have the title of Westin, you better make sure you can always serve something to your guests. After lunch, only one of our rooms were ready. Half a mile walk to our room.

3) We changed to go skiing. Upon arriving at ski "valet" no one helped us one bit to put on our boots or even asked if we needed assistance. It was quite a mess down there actually. They didn’t know what they were doing. No one assisted us to take our skis out on the snow. I don't think they understand what ski valet means. They also temporarily lost my shoes for 30 minutes.

4) After skiing we came to the lobby lounge for apres-ski drinks and snacks. We ordered drinks, some chocolate chip cookies, some jumbo shrimp and some nachos. The drinks and cookies took 45 minutes to arrive, after we complained twice. Again we encountered this time restriction problem on ordering particular foods. It was 4:30pm and if we wanted shrimp, we couldn't order it until 5:00pm. I tried to order it anyways and the waitress said "if the kitchen didn't yell at me every time I tried to put in an early order, I would try to put in your order, but I can't." I complained to the manager about such a response and they guaranteed me that my shrimp will be out at 5:00 sharp. 5:00 came and went with no shrimp. Hence the visit by the third manager and the credit of the entire order. The shrimp took one hour. We just canceled the nachos because we didn’t want to wait. Due to the delays, we called over 3 managers. The 3rd manager finally credited everything. The time rules on their menus are really annoying.

5) That evening, we decided to go out to the town of Aspen for dinner. I wasn’t sure if the hotel did regular turn down service, so just in case, I called to specifically request it before we left. Upon our return to the hotel, to our surprise, or actually, I wasn’t really surprised after all the shenanegans we went through earlier, no turn down service was done. I called again and some guy came and just gave us new towels and left. Unacceptable. I’m paying all this money, I expect not only clean towels, but some tidying up, turning down our bed, some fresh bottles of complimentary water, and some chocolates!

6) The next morning, when housekeeping comes to clean our room, they end up taking my undershirt with the dirty towels. Seriously? I had to call them 3 times for them to even start looking for it and finally 5 hours later, I got my shirt back. They could have had the decency to wash it, but I’ll get to that point next.

7) When skiing, I wear a base layer, as does everyone else I know. The base layer is the first thing that goes on, so when I sweat, it undoubtedly gets absorbed into the base layer and after a whole day of skiing, my base layer will be a little stinky. I ski about 20 days out of the year and I only try to stay at ski-in/ski-out resorts. Every single one I’ve stayed at thus far offers overnight laundry service. Of course, the Westin did not. They said if I wanted to wash my clothes, there was this “dorm-like” building next door and I can go there, in the cold, and wash it myself. Unacceptable. I was left with no other choice so I did just that.

8) The last night, after watching the NBA All-Star game, I was ready to go to bed and as I went to place the remote on the nightstand, my left pinky finger gently grazed the edge of the glass countertop on the night stand. Suddenly, I see blood everywhere. Someone before us had chipped the edge of the glass and that chip cut my finger. See pictures.

9) Spa is WEAK. No steam room. No sauna. No indoor jacuzzi. Men's locker room looks uglier than my high school locker room and holds a maximum of 2 people comfortably. We had booked massages and immediately cancelled them upon seeing the spa. And they had the nerve to ask, "Why are you cancelling???"

10) Overall, the hotel is garbage. I know they renovated it but they really cut so many corners and cheaped out. The toilets are so small that it’s hard for your private parts not to touch the seat. See picture. The hallways look like hospital hallways. The walls are so thin you can hear your next door neighbor using the bathroom. There is no air conditioning. Just a fan that blows room temperature air. The windows are broken. See pictures. They don’t have acceptable humidifiers. They humidifier they brought us was acceptable for a mouse living in a 5 sq. ft. room. Their room service food is disgusting. Valet parking is not really valet parking. You have to buy a $30 parking permit. And then on top of that you need to pay daily valet parking. Otherwise you can self-park but you’ll need to walk out in the cold about a 5 minute walk. There is an unreasonable delay with everything. Car takes like 20 minutes to be pulled up. Breakfast takes 45 minutes to come out. The waitresses at the restaurants look like they all just came from overseas and none of them understand a word you say.

Westin, if you’re going to do something, do it right. I’ve stayed at your other resorts and they were great. But when you open a new one, bring managers and employees from your other resorts so that things run smoothly from the beginning. And just in case you did do that, then you need to train much more. The level of attention was horrible. None of your regular employees cared to check on us. I had to get up to track down and tap your waitresses on the shoulder and ask them where my food is!

Room Tip: Request a room near the main elevators. Otherwise you'll walk for ages.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jon B
JCurnow, General Manager at The Westin Snowmass Resort, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Jon B, thank you for posting this feedback regarding your recent stay. Obviously, we are disapointed that we did not meet nor exceed your expectations on many levels. Will certainly use this feedback with our team to continue to improve the overall guest experience at our new resort.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

Excelent hotel location. Poor room distribution. I had to walk almost half mile to go to hotel lobby and restaurants and ski door. Best deal in the region. I would like to thank Francesca and her colleagues at breakfast room for excellent service there

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Cfpenna
Tim J, Director of Sales at The Westin Snowmass Resort, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Thank you for your review of our resort. We are working hard to improve our services and pass along your feedback to each of the team members involved. As you mentioned, our property is situated on the side of the mountain in more of a linear design compared to the traditional stacked design of many city hotels. While that does create better access to the slopes and more units with views of the slopes it does create a longer distance between rooms and the lobby and restaurants. While we cannot change the layout of the property, we are working on ways to better describe the layout to guests prior to their arrival so they realize it is not a traditional hotel design. Please be sure to request a location close to the lobby on your future stay and we will do our best to accommodate your wishes. Thank you for allowing us to be your hosts on your visit to Snowmass. We look forward to seeing you again sometime soon. Summer and winter are both great seasons to visit Snowmass. If you have never been to Snowmass/Aspen in the summer, it's definitely worth the trip. Amazing weather, endless activities, great music festivals and cultural events. Come see us in the summer as well!
uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

The best thing going for this hotel is the ski-in, ski out location - which is great. The ski valet service is excellent. Other than that, it"s clear that this is an old hotel building which people have tried to remodel to Westin standards and not always succeeded. Decor is good, but public areas (reception, lobby, Snowmass Kitchen) are not really spacious enough to cope with large numbers of guests(especially when a conference is being hosted) and it"s true what previous reviewers have said about too few elevators; and poor soundproofing/low ceilings/small bathrooms in rooms. Also, while some of the hotel staff are very professional and friendly- sometimes service is patchy. We're in a slope side premium room, which is large and has an excellent view of Fanny Hill, although can be noisy. There is an over-bath shower in the bathroom and little space for storage in there. One thing - the Westin has no laundromat facilities (which other reviewers have mentioned) but you can step out to the Wildwood (just a minute's walk down the road), where Westin guests can use the washers/driers there, free of charge (get complimentary soap/detergent from the Wildwood reception desk). Overall, a good holiday - but for reasons given above and additionally given room rates it didn't seem that this Westin quite merited a 'very good' rating quite yet.

Room Tip: Try for one near an elevator (may save you a bit of time)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank susiepip
Thank you for your comments on our newly renovated hotel. As you mentioned we are working within the dynamics of a renovated hotel facilitiy built in a linear fashion up the side of a mountain versus a traditional stacked design, which provides convenient access to the slopes and more rooms with views, it does create the need to travel further from rooms to the common areas of the hotels. While we cannot change the physical structure, our goal is to improve our guest services to provide a pleasant experience for each of our guests. With this being our inaugural season, we have had a learning curve, but your comments on service will be shared with our teams and we will do everything in our power to improve our services for your next visit...so we can earn that Very Good rating from you next time. Thanks for your feedback and allowing us to be your hosts. We look forward to seeing you again sometime soon.
Gainesville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

We are continuing to enjoy our trip to Snowmass. My husband came one week early for a conference and the rest of the family came to extend the trip as the kids are off for the President's Day holiday. Love the renovations, even if the changes were cosmetic (roof leaking on our floor)- the lobby is lovely. We are staying in a lovely suite (521) and couldn't be happier with the room amenities and decor. We are able to see the slopes, hot tubs etc from our windows. I do agree with a prior reviewer that slopeside rooms might not be for everyone as the snow cats are outside the window a lot throughout the night with their beeping which unfortunately sounds just like one of my old alarm clocks. Location is great! Easy ski in /out. Can ski down or take a cute gondola to the ski school in the morning.
Now for the plan ahead stuff:
-the hotel only has 2 elevators and thus far they are both working, but it is faster to take the stairs during peak demand.
-the Westin Kitchen has a great breakfast, but there are issues with seating and table turnover efficiency. We had to wait nearly 40 minutes to be seated yesterday and they seemed completely overwhelmed. A bit stressful as we got there at 8 and had to have the kids at ski school by 9:30.
-issues with room service persist. Menu only on the TV and hard to find. My husband ordered room service and after an hour of waiting called to see what happened. They called back to say the food would be there in 5 minutes and would be free. When it came, it was good. Another family on the gondola today said their breakfast came an hour late (stressful due to ski school check-in deadline) but it was also free due to the problem.
-not a tremendous number of breakfast choices near hotel- Fuel gets great reviews on Tripadvisor, but my kids don't like breakfast burritos and bagels so it's unlikely we will try it, but may be a good alternative. Starbucks coming soon just outside the Westin on the mall.
-air in rooms very dry - they will bring a humidifier - had to wait over an hour for ours, but after 2 calls it came.
-try to beat the 9am rush at the ski valet, but they are the most efficient part of the Westin we've seen so far!! We've always gotten our own stuff back without any problems.
-had back to back reservations in the same room. When first reservation ended, our keys no longer worked and had to go down to the front desk to get rekeyed - not a big deal, but with kids exhausted and hungry after a day of skiing, this was a small unexpected hassle that could have been avoided.

I have to say, all things considered, we've had a great stay (I really love our room) and would love to return. However, for the expense and with the reputation of Westin and my prior experiences with them, there is room for improvement here!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Snowmass Village
Snowmass Mountain Chalet
Snowmass Mountain Chalet
#7 of 13 in Snowmass Village
Stonebridge Inn, A Destination Hotel
Stonebridge Inn, A Destination H...
#2 of 13 in Snowmass Village
The St. Regis Aspen Resort
The Limelight Hotel
Aspen Meadows Resort
Aspen Meadows Resort
#5 of 35 in Aspen
Sky Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel

Been to The Westin Snowmass Resort? Share your experiences!