“Snowmass Kitchen : Eat there!”

The Westin Snowmass Resort
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Snowmass Village
New York City, New York
“Snowmass Kitchen : Eat there!”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Had the most wonderful mean in this hotel restaurant last night. We feasted on a 7 course tasting menu and all seven of us savored each course. We also had the opportunity to meet the charming and talented chef de cuisine Jamie Flatt. He described each course in ways that made our collective mouths water in anticipation of eating his superb cooking. We were never disappointed. If you only have one meal to eat on your visit to Snowmass make this resturant your must visit eatery.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lorna L
JCurnow, General Manager at The Westin Snowmass Resort, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for dining in our new restaurant, Snowmass Kitchen! We appreciate your feedback and that our Chef de Cuisine, Jami Flatt, wowed you during your meal! He and all of our culinary team are doing a great job and changing the dining experience in Snowmass for the better! Please return and thanks again for taking time to provide feedback, we appreciate it!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Florida
Reviewed January 14, 2013

PROS:
Ski Resort
New rooms and amentities
You can decline the resort fee $25 per day (includes ski valet, internet, and transporation to the airport)
Connected to the Snowmass Village Mall
The view from the rooms showcase the ski lift

CONS
$30 parking permit fee (if you have your own vehicle)
Poor signage (Hard to find Hotel)
Staff is not trained at Front Desk- Poor Customer Service
Hard to find rooms
Only 1 Restaurant and 1 Bar on site (however a short walk to Snowmass Village Mall)
Bill was incorrect (be sure to look closely)

Room Tip: Request a room that overlooks the ski lift---it's great for people watching!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TripQueen2
Batavia, Il
Reviewed January 14, 2013

First off the location is great. Hotel has been remodeled, lobby is nice but was more Euro than Colorado vibe. Room was clean and the staff was very nice. Ski valet service was great, as was ski in and out ability.

I have been a Starwood Gold member for many years and have stayed at many Westin category 5 properties, unfortunately this hotel is not one one. The category 5 for this hotel must be based on location, my opinion is that this should be a 3 perhaps a 4. This property was purchased and remodeled...which is fine. But for me it felt like a middle of the road Sheraton, so if you go in expecting that you will be better off. Like I said nice hotel, great location, nice people, but not a category 5.

There is some walking that you will need to do to get to your room, but you are there for exercise anyway. If you have young kids you may want to ask for a room closer to the elevator. Heavenly bed felt off too...felt like an impersonation of a heavenly bed....so much so I asked.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MJG07
Sacramento, California
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Location is great, but if my recent experience was any indication (1) expect to wait nearly two hours to get your room and, don't count on being told anything but "your room will be available in a few minutes" when you inquire about status; (2) don't expect to receive any sort of amenity to make your wait at all enjoyable; (3) don't expect to have valet bring your car within 20 minutes of your request, even when things are slow; (4) if you are an SPG Platinum member do not expect to be treated like one, in fact you should expect to be treated as if it is YOUR privilege to be a guest there; (5) expect to pay way too much for hum-drum food at the hotel's restaurant, The Kitchen; (6) expect to stay in refurbished rooms - they are much better than the old Silvertree, but don't expect a good or timely clean, your coffee service to replenished and sufficient towels; (7) don't expect the hotel to address any of your concerns unless you call three times, and even then it will be. 50/50 proposition as to whether you will need to call again; - and (8) don't expect messages or faxes to be transmitted/delivered to your room unless you call repeatedly. One bright spot: the concierge was fabulous. She helped us select great restaurants, made reservations for us and was able to get us in at our preferred times even though it was high season.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the slopes, but don't count on getting it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank Tim L
JCurnow, General Manager at The Westin Snowmass Resort, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your stay at the Westin Snowmass Resort. I am glad you had a fantastic experience with our concierge and that they were able to squeeze in dinner reservations during this incredibly busy time! I can understand how frustrating the issues yo have listed here were for you, and am sorry I did not have a chance to personally make things right for you during your stay. As a newly opened and renovated hotel, we strive to continually improve and due to feedback like this, we have already implemented many changes. We do value you as an SPG Platinum guest, apologize that we did not exceed your expectations and do hope you will consider a return visit as our team grows in experience.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is extremelly weel located to enjoy the snowmass mountain. Great service and nice new rooms. I stayed there with my wife for 8 night and we really enjoyed. Is located next to the snowmass mall that gives you plenty of options for dining out and buy/rent equipment during your stay.Tranfers to aspen run all day from the snowmass mall. Great location and great atmosphere

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ilevin
Greetings ilevin! Thank you for the great feedback regarding your recent stay at the new Westin Snowmass Resort! Very happy you enjoyed your stay, our great ski-in/out location and the new atmosphere! We hope to see you again soon!
Aspen, Colorado
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I've read alot of negitive reviews for this hotel. I have stayed here twice, the first time for 4 nights when they first opened. Are they perfect? No, but they just opened and I'm sure they are still working out the bugs. I would definately return to this Westin. I had absolutely no problem with the service. There were a couple of small issues that were quickly resolved. The building is freshly renovated, and compared to the old Silvertree Hotel, they have done a great job. I found a couple of strange design flaws (Our suite had a beautiful shower, but there was a separate tub that was very small,with a shower curtain, but no shower head) but all in all, its quite beautiful. If you find fault in the hotel, just relax, and look out your window to a spectacular view, as this hotel is directly on the mountain. It really could not be more convenient.

Room Tip: Rooms mountain side are beautiful.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mountains2beaches
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about the newly opened Westin Snowmass Resort! We appreciate your visits and we are very happy you have enjoyed your time here, our staff, the new look and the 2nd to none location! As you can see from the number of reviews and differing experiences, our new team was certainly challenged with the immediate high occupancies of the recent holiday period but is making progress every day to improve service and to create great memories for our guests. They really are working hard and your direct feedback that highlights that, is greatly appreciated by all. We hope to see you again soon and thank you once again for posting.
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed January 12, 2013

My husband and I traveled to the Westin in early December and I must say that we had an incredible experience. I'm not sure about the complaints in some of the reviews, but the service is truly outstanding. We were picked up at the airport by the hotel shuttle (which is a new Suburban). They were waiting when we got there, and had brought the car seat I had requested (which was a huge plus--not having to haul ours). I did have to put it in the car, as the young man driving did not know how, but he wanted to watch me so that he could better assist people in the future. The staff was incredibly friendly and made us feel so welcome. The guys in the ski valet are so awesome. One--Garett (I think) even found my husband's lost glove from earlier that day and delivered it to our room. They offer all sorts of helpful tips about skiing/snowboarding and where to go.

Our room was brand new and impeccable. The only complaint is that they had to fix the heat in our bedroom. It was working overtime, but as soon as I called they were on it and had it fixed within an hour. And we just opened the door on the balcony to let some cool air in. Our room was a one bedroom suite slope side and I highly recommend it. The patio was safe enough for us to go out on with our son and watch the skiers while we blew bubbles. The room had so much space and storage--which is great when you are traveling with ski clothes and baby strollers, etc.

The location of the hotel is great. Just outside the ski valet is the little gondola you take to the bottom of the village where all of the ski schools are located. We used the Treehouse Kids Club for our baby, and I cannot say enough about the women who run that place!! My son stays at home with me, so I was worried about leaving him there. The second day he was literally running down the hall to get into his classroom. They take the kids out riding on a giant 6 seated stroller, sing songs, color, etc. He loved it!! We felt so good about leaving him so we could have our fun.

There is a free shuttle bus that runs into Aspen about every 20 minutes until 9pm, then it's every hour. We went into Aspen twice for dinner. Once at Rustique (excellent--loves the French onion soup) and once at Jimmy's (great wine list). There are not too many choices for food in Snowmass and eating in Aspen can be pretty pricy. We were greatful for the little deli at the base of the village. Great breakfast food and sandwhiches. We did it one night at the Italian restaurant in the mall (il Poggio?) and also at a soup place in the mall across from the Aspen/Snowmass ski rental place.

We have traveled all over the world, and I will say that this trip is by far one of my favorites. The people everywhere are so friendly. Everyone is in a good mood all of the time. I definitely can't wait to return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank BethanyRPick
Thank you for posting this very comprehensive review of your stay at the Westin Snowmass Resort. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay, the staff, and the new look and feel of the hotel. I appreciate that you enjoyed our un-beatable ski-in/out location and that your took advantage of our ski valet services and Westin Kids Club. We are in a good mood, we are working hard to create great guest experiences like this and we look forward to seeing you again soon! Thanks again for taking time to share your experiences.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Snowmass Village
Stonebridge Inn, A Destination Hotel
Stonebridge Inn, A Destination H...
#2 of 13 in Snowmass Village
Hotel Jerome, An Auberge Resort
Pokolodi Lodge
Pokolodi Lodge
#4 of 13 in Snowmass Village

Been to The Westin Snowmass Resort? Share your experiences!