“Nice hotel with a great location, but horrible front desk customer service”

The Westin Snowmass Resort
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Snowmass Village
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Nice hotel with a great location, but horrible front desk customer service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

As stated in the title, the hotel itself is nice as it recently underwent a renovation, and it is in a great location being just steps away from a main chair lift; however, the front desk's customer service is horrible.

When making the reservation, I was informed that the hotel offers complimentary transportation from the Aspen airport and to call one week in advance to arrange such transportation. Accordingly, I called one week prior to my arrival; however, I was informed that you cannot schedule such transportation. Instead, I was told to simply call the hotel once my flight landed, and a hotel representative would come immediately over to pick us up. When my flight landed, I called the hotel to request a pick up and was told that a bus would pick us up in 15 minutes. When more than 20 minutes had passed, we called the hotel back to inquire about the delay. First, it took more than 20 rings for someone to answer the phone, and when the phone was finally answered, we were placed on eternal hold for the representative to inquire about the situation (fyi- this consistently happened EVERY time we attempted to contact the front desk during our stay). Eventually we were told a driver came to the airport, didn't see anyone outside to be picked up, and left! For the record, we were waiting by the doors the entire time, and no bus came and left. Plus, we had given the hotel our cell numbers when we called to arrange the pick-up. If a driver really did come to pick up hotel guests and didn't see them, don't you think he would try calling them before leaving? Regardless, we were told another shuttle was en route, and it would arrive in 15 minutes. Again, another 20 passed and still no shuttle. In the interim, a very kind airport ambassador kept checking on us and shared with us this delayed transportation/mix-up was not the first instance with the Westin Snowmass. She indicated there had been multiple instances where it was extremely late in picking up guests. We phoned the hotel (as did the airport ambassador) to inquire about the delayed shuttle, and this time we requested to speak with the manager; however, after 10 minutes on hold, the representative would not transfer me and said a shuttle will be there "momentarily". Momentarily turned into another 20 minutes, and it wasn't a shuttle that picked us up. It was an unmarked SUV. In total, we waited for over an hour and ten minutes to be picked up (fyi- it takes approximately 17 minutes to drive from the hotel to the airport). En route to the hotel, the manager called and apologized and indicated he was giving us a $50 credit for the inconvenience. However, upon checkout, the $50 credit that was promised did not appear on receipt. I had to explain the incident to the front desk representative, and she promptly added it.

A suggestion to management regarding your complimentary transportation - clear, consistent communication. We were initially told this service should be scheduled in advance, then we were told to just call upon arrival and someone would pick us up, and when inquiring about return transportation to the airport, we were told the shuttle operates only on the hour. Which is it???

As previously indicated, every time we attempted to contact the front desk for assistance, it would take numerous rings before someone would answer the phone, and when someone did finally answer the phone, he or she never knew the answer to our question and placed us on hold to inquire. Some questions we posed - are there restaurants or places nearby that sell desserts/sweets (we were told no; however, there is a Rocky Mountain Chocolate Co. less than 100 yards from the hotel); what time does the band (that we can clearly hear in our room as we attempt to sleep) playing in the lobby stop playing (we were told 9 pm; however, the band easily played passed 10:30 p.m.); how frequently does the shuttle to Aspen run; what time does the hotel restaurant open for breakfast. As you can see, these are not difficult questions, yet the staff lacked the knowledge to answer these questions.

Despite the issues indicated above, the rest of the hotel staff was lovely. The ski valet employees are fantastic and very knowledgeable about all of the nearby mountains to ski and very willing to offer trail recommendations. The employees in the lobby bar and downstairs restaurant were also very pleasant as was housekeeping.

Room Tip: Do not stay in Room 316. It is right next to the elevator, and it is located right off of the balco...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Chicago, Illinois, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

I was so looking forward to staying at the newly renovated Westin Snowmass after having stayed a number of times at the run-down Silvertree. What a letdown. Terrible check in. My room wasn't ready so they said they would call me when it was. They didn't. Housekeeing staff was just awful, clearly either untrained or just dense. Showers are a disgrace -- there is no door on the showers and no heat in the bathrooms, guaranteeing your shower experience will be a cold one. The hotel was dirty. The floors were covered in footprints from ski boots and the railings on the floors were filled with hand prints. They just don't know the basics of cleaning a hotel. The food served at the bar area was cold. The HVAC system is user-unfriendly, making it a challenge to get a comfortable setting. The internet service in my room was inconsistent. The rooms are not very soundproof, especially the bathrooms.

Room Tip: Insist on staying in a room accessible by only having to take one elevator.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
8 Thank Beaudog7
JCurnow, General Manager at The Westin Snowmass Resort, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Very disapointed that you did not enjoy your stay nor the renovations to the Silvertree Hotel. I appreciate you feedback and we are working hard on the service areas you have identified. Obviously not yet up to the standard nor experience we strive to deliver as a new Westin resort. But we will get there soon. The property did receive a large renovation to the the guest rooms, common areas and food and beverage oultets, Unfortunately, the physical constraints of hotel built up the side of the mountain, would not allow a change to the physical layout of the buildings. All king bedded rooms in the hotel do not have a bathtub, but a Westin Heavenly Shower. Our Queen/Queen rooms do offer the Westin Heavenly shower with tub. Thank you again for your feedback, we are addressing and hope you will consider a future stay. I am available to speak to you and my direct phone is 970-309-1306. John Curnow.
Little Rock
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

We booked six nights in a slope side room with two beds. When we arrived, we were told that due to "maintenance issues", they only had one king bed available without a view. As my husband, teenage son and I were in the same room, they offered to bring a rollaway bed. They also offered a $100 credit ( which is more like a $50 value as I paid $50 extra a night for the slopeside view, which I did not get). I agreed to this because they said they would get us in the right room the next day. Shortly thereafter, we were told that they were out of rollaway beds. This left my large husband, 140 pound teenager and me in ONE bed. It was a terrible night of sleep. The next day, we were not moved to the right room until 7 pm. Other issues are that staff did not seem to be aware of where anything was located in snowmass and did not explain the confusing elevator situation. We had to take two separate elevators to our room, with a trip up stairs in between. Other people had to take 3 elevators. So many people were walking around lost. This dual/triple elevator system was rough with our luggage. Other problems: no room service menu in our room and no vending machines at all in the hotel. The vending machine issue was pretty terrible as you had to run outside to shops in the outdoor mall( in negative temps) just to get a bottle of coke. The one upside is that the location is fantastic-literally right at the snowmass mall and skittles gondola that takes you to base village. You can ski in and out easily. Also, you are right on top of snowmass sports, a GREAT place to rent equipment. Good prices and superb service. As to the hotel, I don't think I can recommend it until they improve service issues.

• Stayed January 2013
5 Thank LawyerBet
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

So -- I have been going to the former SilverTree, now the Westin-Snowmass, for over 20 years. The SilverTree was good and quite comfortable. Truly enjoyed years of listening to Twirp Anderson in the lobby lounge (the ONLY thing I will say bad about the new Westin -- ya gotta consider bringing Twirp back).

The new Westin is really, really nice. The staff is so attentive to your needs. I can't say enough about Reagan, the Front desk area Supervisor. She was so helpful to me and my injured friend. The new restaurant has a very personable and attentive Manager. (sorry -- I forgot to write his name down) From Ellie, the best concierge you could ever hope to find, to Tom, one of the bellman/drivers. All of these people should be commended for their dedication to customer satisfaction.

The front desk was very easy to deal with and got everything right for us.

The food was really good for hotel food.

I have read some of the other reviews. We had a great time and I was prepared not to enjoy it as much as I really liked the warmth and family atmosphere of the old SilverTree.

The ski valet was responsivenes and very quick. The bell staff was quick, on time and very helpful. The concierge was an absolute wonder worker and a long time former SilverTree employee, so she knew the "spots" and who to call. Our room was clean and our nights sleep after a long day of skiing was perfect. The food was good and the Manager was always checking on how we were doing.

I am planning to return to the Westin in March for a short four day ski trip and I look forward to going back to this place. Let me end all of this by saying - there are better, higher end, more pricey places that definitely have more glitz and glamor and might, in fact, be better. But in the end -- this staff was perfect for me and my friends situation, the room was clean and comfortable and I will keep coming back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BUDF1
Greetings BUDF1! Thank you for taking time to post a review of your recent stay here at the new Westin Snowmass Resort! Very glad you enjoyed your stay over the busy holiday season and that you appreciate how hard our team is working. Thank you for mentioning Reagan and Ellie who do a terrific job. We continue to work on programming for our bars and lounges, and we are looking at a number of entertainment options. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel this March and thank you once again for your feedback!
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

Stayed at the new Westin the week prior to Christmas. Early in the week the staff seemed on top of things, but when it got crowded over the weekend things got a little flustered. The hotel has been beautifully renovated, we had a very comfortable king room overlooking the village with a view of the mountains beyond. The new lobby is really nice, the hotel should udate the website with real photos instead of the renditions.The ski valet is very handy, just outside he elevators at the lowest level. Just get in the elevator on your floor and get out at the ski valet. You can literally be on the slopes five minutes after getting in the elevator with warm, dry boots on. Early in our stay we could pretty much arrange transportation around snowmass just by mentioning where we wanted to go to the bell hop. Later when there were more guests we just gave up trying to use the Westin transportation and walked to the village bus stop. The only real problem we had during our stay were the room keys. they are the ones that you just hold next to the lock on the door and it opens. I don't know if they don't like the cold or what, but our keys kept losing their programming. Four times in one week we were back at the front desk waiting in line behind guests checking in to get keys reset. Not very convenient when you are ready to get in the room and can't.

Room Tip: If it snows and you are village side, you can plan to hear snow removal equipment very early in the...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ray B
Tyler, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

We are an SPG Gold family of 5, and booked our stay using reward points. Our request for "connecting" rooms was cancelled by Management inexplicably just prior to our arrival. We never received an explanation. This is puzzling since: 1) we personally spoke with the Assistant Manager Rob Dario (sp), two months prior to our arrival, who arranged our accommodations....and.. 2) exactly 1 week prior to our arrival, knowing that they were likely going through some "growing" pains, I telephoned the hotel to confirm our connecting rooms. I received verbal confirmation that everything was in good order. Upon check in, i learned that the connecting rooms were "were not available" and we accepted two rooms across the hall from each other for our family.....not ideal, but workable.

The Ski Valet service is excellent. The staff are responsive and friendly, handling numerous requests with grace and aplomb. The Front desk team are polished and warm, however, with only three attendants, we experienced frequent waits...especially since the bell staff are generally under staffed, causing us to go to the front desk for all requests. The Spa is excellent and its staff is professional and knowledgeable. Our rooms were very nice, modern, and clean! The remodel is VERY well done!

As I mentioned, the hotel is working the "bugs" out: 1) bell staff and the "service express" desk is overwhelmed and poorly trained. They bungled, or even outright ignored numerous tasks including, our "check in" baggage, and our "check out" baggage, One staffer totally "blew off" our request for help when we were unable to enter the room occupied by our children because the battery on the door needed replacing. Were it not for us flagging down a manager, (Kevin), we would have missed our New Years eve dinner reservations. 2) the restaurant service is slow and generally unresponsive. 3) there are no laundry service on site. In addition, if you want to pay for laundry service, the hotel can only offer "two day turnaround" for items. This is simply unacceptable for a Ski Hotel. 4) the heat in the rooms is difficult to regulate, and at times "goes out." 5) the hot tubs are lukewarm, and sometimes "out of order".

The Hotel is in a great location, extremely convenient to restaurants and shopping. Once the Hotel works the bugs out...this will be a great place to stay.

Room Tip: request a room close to the lobby to avoid using multiple elevators to get to the ski valet.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank smokester7306
Thank you for taking time to provide feedback of your recent stay at the new Westin Snowmass Resort. Great insight here to how we can improve our service and now that the busy holiday season has past, we can take time to re-organize and energize improvments immediately. I am confident that your next experience with us will be vastly improved as our new team becomes practiced and comfortable in our systems and location. We do have amazing potential and I appreciate your taking time to give feedback. Hope to see you again soon.
Tampa, Florida, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

As noted in multiple reviews, this "new" Westin has multiple issues. We booked two rooms (connecting) for Christmas week. As we were traveling as a family with 3 small children, I specifically called and verified connecting rooms with the hotel management prior to arrival. Upon arriving, we were informed that our rooms were "on the same floor". After a one hour ordeal, connecting rooms were found. Upon entering the rooms, trash, dirty mops and garbage still remained (i.e. the rooms were not fully cleaned - 7:30 pm). Once the rooms were subsequently cleaned, we experienced the worst night sleep we have had in a long time. When the hotel was redone, there was no modernization of the plumbing or insulation. As a result, you can hear your neighbors, the hall, outside, above and below you. In addition, the plumbing did not work well, and every time someone flushed a toilet it was heard through the ceiling/walls (also, our toilets did not work well, running for 10 minutes after flushing). My eleven year old daughter, who can sleep through a hurricane, came into our room at 2:30 a.m. because she could not sleep from the hotel noise. After a horrible night, the front desk management informed us that we were stuck in our current rooms. Based on other comments, I suspect our rooms were not unique in the issues noted. As a result, we checked out after 1 night of a 7 night stay (despite the fact that we were staying for free on points - it was that bad). Of note, as I was checking out, the gentleman behind me was also leaving early for similar reasons.

In terms of the quality of the hotel, I have stayed at several other Westin ski resorts (i.e. Beaver Creek and Whistler) as well as the St Regis in Aspen and Deer Valley. This property does not compare to either of the listed Westin resorts - the rooms are cramped, dark and confining. They fit 2 beds - no where to sit. The ceilings are maybe 8 feet high. The redone lobby was airport like in its vibe. As best I can tell, the redo of the hotel was mainly cosmetic (the building is from the 70's).

The location is excellent for skiing Snowmass. However, the Viceroy Snowmass is a far superior property (we have stayed there as well), more in keeping with what a Westin ski resort should be.

I would not recommend this hotel if you are looking for any sense of upscale luxury, space, modern design, or a good night's sleep. The overall quality was more in keeping with an inexpensive chain motel (think redone older Hampton's Inn, only noisier and not as nice).

Stay at your own risk - you were warned.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Kevin T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Snowmass Village
Snowmass Mountain Chalet
Snowmass Mountain Chalet
#7 of 13 in Snowmass Village
Stonebridge Inn, A Destination Hotel
Stonebridge Inn, A Destination H...
#2 of 13 in Snowmass Village
#5 of 35 in Aspen
Pokolodi Lodge
Pokolodi Lodge
#4 of 13 in Snowmass Village

Been to The Westin Snowmass Resort? Share your experiences!