“restaurant was great!”

The Westin Snowmass Resort
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Snowmass Village
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Honestly, after reading the other reviews my expectations were low. My family has been vacationing at another Snowmass resort and decided to check out the new place for a possible future trip. We didn't stay at the hotel, but had dinner at the restaurant.

Again, expectations were on the low side going in. I do understand that it takes some time for a place to be up and running, however given the reputation of the Westin on the whole things we were hopeful. We were warmly greeted upon our arrival and then brought directly to our table. Gorgeous views!

We did not wait long at all before being offered a cocktail. The waitress was fabulous. Very attentative and polite and quite familiar with the menu. However, it was based on the recommendations of Scott, (the manager, I think, who was incredibly courteous) that we ordered. The elk meatballs were delicious, and I am not generally a fan of less traditional meats. I'm still thinking of the seabass and the superb lemon sauce! AMAZING!!!

I would have rated value higher, but seriously? in this neck of the woods, the word value has no meaning. Definitely would try the hotel next time we are in town and without question would eat here again. Take a chance and check it out.

RECOMMENDED!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed December 27, 2012

I came on Trip Advisor to write my own review, but in reading previous posts, I couldn't believe how many other patrons described their stay the same way I would have - although the hotel is newly renovated and the location is second to none, operations were lacking, to say the least. I am an SPG Platinum member and I felt like everything but.

The hotel staff clearly were not ready for the hotel to open its doors - as described in a previous post, "the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing." I can say, without exaggerating, that the Conceirge did not answer their phone about 20 times - I would call 2 or 3 times in a row and STILL no answer. I was very disappointed - I've stayed at multiple W's and Sheraton's and when I call down, they answer within 1 or 2 rings, addressing me by my last name each time I call.

The Kitchen was also very unorganized and the hosts did not seem to know what they were doing.

My hope is that hotel adminstration takes the time to read these reviews, take action, and improve their customer service.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank CBP749
Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

Quite an inexperienced staff, left hand doesnt know what the right hand is doing.

Lost my reservations for two queen bed deluxe room, had me wait for over an hour after a four hour drive. Put four people in a king size bedroom without any rollaway bed as promised.

Overall too many gaps in service. Great location though. Its a toss up.

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank HoustonTravelinstyle
Reviewed December 21, 2012

You can't do much better for a location. Seriously, the location is worth it. GREAT ski-in/ski-out accommodations. Yet, the services leave a LOT to be desired. If you're used to pampering by a ski valet, you'll find it spotty at best. Sometimes they carry your skis to the hill, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they offer to help with your books, sometimes they forget to see about your shoes after you've gotten your boots off. Check-in was far from smooth. Check-out went well but they had somehow forgotten our pre-arranged shuttle transportation to the airport. And, forget about quiet. You'll hear everything that happens in the hallway. The heaters make noise throughout the night as well. The bed is heavenly. Staff were nice, but not trained. Westin would do well to invest even a fraction in training the people now serving guests in their renovated space.

Room Tip: be sure to ask how many elevators you need to take to get to your room
2  Thank EpicureanMe
JCurnow, General Manager at The Westin Snowmass Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2012

I appreciate you taking time to provide feedback on your recent stay at the new Westin Snowmass Resort. I am disapointed that we did not exceed your expecations and will be sure to use your feedback to improve services within the hotel. We are certainly learning quite a bit in our first month of operation and our team will get better with experience and additional training. Thank you again and please don't hesitate to contact me directly if I can be any assistance with your next Snowmass vacation.

John Curnow (970-309-1306)

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Arrival bellman very friendly. Parking explanation was confusing and come to find out it is in uncovered public lots and costs $25.
Check in was a bit slow but the staff was very nice, though not much info on where the restaurant, spa, etc. were.
Lot's of inadequacies in the room: blackout shades did a poor job, door handle to tiny balcony sticky, needed to vacuum behind the lounge chair, no guide in room to the hotel or room service (menu is on TV), closet needs more hanger space, water pressure at bath fine but shower not, valve reversed, tub needs to be refinished, old & stained toilet seat, old spout & drain, side of toilet dirty, robe hook too low, wall lamp between beds mounted upside down, baseboard heaters are really loud.
Server in lobby bar lacked experience, was quite slow and stated that one of the wines would be available in 30 minutes.
The stay ended with digging our vehicle out of the snow.

3  Thank EWS56
Reviewed December 14, 2012

I typically love staying at Westins, this one was great, but felt it lacked somewhere. It is a good place to stay with a good location. There are a few great, positives. for starters the staff was very friendly, nice, helpful and genuine. From the moment we arrived to when we checked out the staff went above and beyond. The hotel was purchased by Starwood and recently rennovated. The lobby, bar area was warm and inviting, with modern, yet simple touches with beautiful views. The restaurant downstairs is very posh, with windows overlooking the slopes. The food was pricey, but it's Aspen/Snowmass, and really good. Then as you move through out the hotel you can begin to see where the money was invested or not invested during rennovation. The hallways have new and old carpeting mixed. The elevators have a rustic feel, they don't match the lobby decor at all, but certainly didn't get much of the rennovation. We had to take three elevators to the 8th floor, which wasn't the issue, but that last elevator didn't see a penny in this process. The rooms are nice, but designed more for a business traveler. There is a long desk, sitting chair (oddly placed in front of the patio door, making it not as easy to get out on the patio), three cabinets/closets, one has the microwave/fridge. Not awhole lot of space to put big, heavy winter gear. The soundproofing isn't that good either. In the hallways you can hear everything. Also, this resort allows pets, dogs, which I love dogs, but we had one on the private floor that barked the entire time the owners were gone. We could hear the poor dog in our room, which was four rooms down. As usual, the beds were nice with great linens and towels. The rooms were comfortable and a decent size for two people. I was pleased with the rate we paid, but know the rooms get more expensive into peak season and don't know if the rooms would be worth the price. You are paying for the optimal ski in/out and Westin name.There are lots of Westin hints throughout, but seemed to be lacking in the non-visible to the public, low traffic areas, such as guest room hallways further away from elevators, windows and the lobby. Really not too many people come here to sit in their hotel rooms so the hotel is nice. The staff is amazing. I would stay here again.

5  Thank Solbonita
JCurnow, Manager at The Westin Snowmass Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I could not be more proud of the team we have assembled and their dedication to exceed our guest expectations! Glad you enjoyed your stay!

I appreciate your comments regarding some inconsistencies within the hotel. That feedback is very important to us as we address any shortcomings in the new facility. Thank you.

We do hope to see you again soon here in Snowmass and thanks again for taking time to provide feedback.

Be well.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

We got a promotional deal for Dec 3 -7 which made the hotel a good value. There was a $25/per night resort fee which covered transportation to and from the airport and a ski valet, to store your ski gear. The hotel is newly renovated. The staff could not have been nicer and more willing to please. They are clearly still being trained and learning their jobs. The restaurant and bar are very expensive and the restaurant menu was very limited. The chef was very accommodating in making a vegetarian meal for us, and it was delicious. I'm glad we ate dinner there one night. The hotel is conveniently located right on the slope. You can ski on and off. We did come back to the room one night at 7:30 pm and found it hadn't been cleaned. They did offer a round of drinks at the bar, and then agreed to comp the $20 for 2 orange juices, that room service had delivered. I don't believe there is a machine, or shop to buy juice. There is a refrigerator in the room, and I would suggesting picking up drinks and breakfast bars.

Room Tip: We stayed in room #663. It was quiet and had a lovely view of Fanny Hill. It did not have a tub...
2  Thank Waypoint

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback regarding your recent visit to the new Westin Snowmass Resort. Glad you enjoyed your stay and the remodel. I also appreciate your understanding that our new team is working hard to provide great customer service and that having just opened, training is on-going. Again, thank you for providing feedback and we will use it to improve. See you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Snowmass Village
Snowmass Mountain Chalet
Snowmass Mountain Chalet
#7 of 13 in Snowmass Village
Stonebridge Inn, A Destination Hotel
Stonebridge Inn, A Destination H...
#2 of 13 in Snowmass Village
7 mi away
Hotel Aspen
Hotel Aspen
#10 of 35 in Aspen

Been to The Westin Snowmass Resort? Share your experiences!