“Great location, bad service”

The Westin Snowmass Resort
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Snowmass Village
Ilha de Tinhare, BA
“Great location, bad service”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I came on Trip Advisor to write my own review, but in reading previous posts, I couldn't believe how many other patrons described their stay the same way I would have - although the hotel is newly renovated and the location is second to none, operations were lacking, to say the least. I am an SPG Platinum member and I felt like everything but.

The hotel staff clearly were not ready for the hotel to open its doors - as described in a previous post, "the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing." I can say, without exaggerating, that the Conceirge did not answer their phone about 20 times - I would call 2 or 3 times in a row and STILL no answer. I was very disappointed - I've stayed at multiple W's and Sheraton's and when I call down, they answer within 1 or 2 rings, addressing me by my last name each time I call.

The Kitchen was also very unorganized and the hosts did not seem to know what they were doing.

My hope is that hotel adminstration takes the time to read these reviews, take action, and improve their customer service.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank CBP749

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Houston
Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

Quite an inexperienced staff, left hand doesnt know what the right hand is doing.

Lost my reservations for two queen bed deluxe room, had me wait for over an hour after a four hour drive. Put four people in a king size bedroom without any rollaway bed as promised.

Overall too many gaps in service. Great location though. Its a toss up.

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank HoustonTravelinstyle
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 21, 2012

You can't do much better for a location. Seriously, the location is worth it. GREAT ski-in/ski-out accommodations. Yet, the services leave a LOT to be desired. If you're used to pampering by a ski valet, you'll find it spotty at best. Sometimes they carry your skis to the hill, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they offer to help with your books, sometimes they forget to see about your shoes after you've gotten your boots off. Check-in was far from smooth. Check-out went well but they had somehow forgotten our pre-arranged shuttle transportation to the airport. And, forget about quiet. You'll hear everything that happens in the hallway. The heaters make noise throughout the night as well. The bed is heavenly. Staff were nice, but not trained. Westin would do well to invest even a fraction in training the people now serving guests in their renovated space.

Room Tip: be sure to ask how many elevators you need to take to get to your room
2 Thank EpicureanMe
JCurnow, General Manager at The Westin Snowmass Resort, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
I appreciate you taking time to provide feedback on your recent stay at the new Westin Snowmass Resort. I am disapointed that we did not exceed your expecations and will be sure to use your feedback to improve services within the hotel. We are certainly learning quite a bit in our first month of operation and our team will get better with experience and additional training. Thank you again and please don't hesitate to contact me directly if I can be any assistance with your next Snowmass vacation.

John Curnow (970-309-1306)
Denver
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Arrival bellman very friendly. Parking explanation was confusing and come to find out it is in uncovered public lots and costs $25.
Check in was a bit slow but the staff was very nice, though not much info on where the restaurant, spa, etc. were.
Lot's of inadequacies in the room: blackout shades did a poor job, door handle to tiny balcony sticky, needed to vacuum behind the lounge chair, no guide in room to the hotel or room service (menu is on TV), closet needs more hanger space, water pressure at bath fine but shower not, valve reversed, tub needs to be refinished, old & stained toilet seat, old spout & drain, side of toilet dirty, robe hook too low, wall lamp between beds mounted upside down, baseboard heaters are really loud.
Server in lobby bar lacked experience, was quite slow and stated that one of the wines would be available in 30 minutes.
The stay ended with digging our vehicle out of the snow.

3 Thank EWS56
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed December 14, 2012

I typically love staying at Westins, this one was great, but felt it lacked somewhere. It is a good place to stay with a good location. There are a few great, positives. for starters the staff was very friendly, nice, helpful and genuine. From the moment we arrived to when we checked out the staff went above and beyond. The hotel was purchased by Starwood and recently rennovated. The lobby, bar area was warm and inviting, with modern, yet simple touches with beautiful views. The restaurant downstairs is very posh, with windows overlooking the slopes. The food was pricey, but it's Aspen/Snowmass, and really good. Then as you move through out the hotel you can begin to see where the money was invested or not invested during rennovation. The hallways have new and old carpeting mixed. The elevators have a rustic feel, they don't match the lobby decor at all, but certainly didn't get much of the rennovation. We had to take three elevators to the 8th floor, which wasn't the issue, but that last elevator didn't see a penny in this process. The rooms are nice, but designed more for a business traveler. There is a long desk, sitting chair (oddly placed in front of the patio door, making it not as easy to get out on the patio), three cabinets/closets, one has the microwave/fridge. Not awhole lot of space to put big, heavy winter gear. The soundproofing isn't that good either. In the hallways you can hear everything. Also, this resort allows pets, dogs, which I love dogs, but we had one on the private floor that barked the entire time the owners were gone. We could hear the poor dog in our room, which was four rooms down. As usual, the beds were nice with great linens and towels. The rooms were comfortable and a decent size for two people. I was pleased with the rate we paid, but know the rooms get more expensive into peak season and don't know if the rooms would be worth the price. You are paying for the optimal ski in/out and Westin name.There are lots of Westin hints throughout, but seemed to be lacking in the non-visible to the public, low traffic areas, such as guest room hallways further away from elevators, windows and the lobby. Really not too many people come here to sit in their hotel rooms so the hotel is nice. The staff is amazing. I would stay here again.

5 Thank Solbonita
JCurnow, Manager at The Westin Snowmass Resort, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I could not be more proud of the team we have assembled and their dedication to exceed our guest expectations! Glad you enjoyed your stay!

I appreciate your comments regarding some inconsistencies within the hotel. That feedback is very important to us as we address any shortcomings in the new facility. Thank you.

We do hope to see you again soon here in Snowmass and thanks again for taking time to provide feedback.

Be well.
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed December 13, 2012

We got a promotional deal for Dec 3 -7 which made the hotel a good value. There was a $25/per night resort fee which covered transportation to and from the airport and a ski valet, to store your ski gear. The hotel is newly renovated. The staff could not have been nicer and more willing to please. They are clearly still being trained and learning their jobs. The restaurant and bar are very expensive and the restaurant menu was very limited. The chef was very accommodating in making a vegetarian meal for us, and it was delicious. I'm glad we ate dinner there one night. The hotel is conveniently located right on the slope. You can ski on and off. We did come back to the room one night at 7:30 pm and found it hadn't been cleaned. They did offer a round of drinks at the bar, and then agreed to comp the $20 for 2 orange juices, that room service had delivered. I don't believe there is a machine, or shop to buy juice. There is a refrigerator in the room, and I would suggesting picking up drinks and breakfast bars.

Room Tip: We stayed in room #663. It was quiet and had a lovely view of Fanny Hill. It did not have a tub...
2 Thank Waypoint
Thank you for taking time to provide feedback regarding your recent visit to the new Westin Snowmass Resort. Glad you enjoyed your stay and the remodel. I also appreciate your understanding that our new team is working hard to provide great customer service and that having just opened, training is on-going. Again, thank you for providing feedback and we will use it to improve. See you again soon.
Longmont, Colorado
Reviewed December 11, 2012

A group of us stayed at this property for a long weekend. One room didn't have heat, another room could hear every conversation from the hot tub, some rooms didn't have bath tubs, another had to have the bathroom door torn down when a guest got locked in it, and ours wasn't much better. It took an entire day to finally be given keys to our adjoining room and the crib that we had requested. We were on the 3rd level next to the balcony that overlooked down through the lobby and into the restaurant several floors down. All night we heard either noise from this area or from the snowplows and delivery trucks on the street outside. Even in those brief moments of guest & street silence the hot water heat was making gurgling noises. We were also next to the elevator bank that some guests had to use to get off, walk all the way across the hotel to get to a second elevator bank to head up to their rooms. One elevator was broken for part of our stay. The pool was not warm and the hot tub was not hot. The parking lot is up the hill and exposed so you get to scrape snow off your car to go anywhere. The Starbucks advertised throughout the hotel doesn't exist. Some guests were told they couldn't use the lobby or other common areas one evening because they were hosting Westin VIPs. Not that I wanted to spend much time in the lobby since it was cold. My arms fell asleep under me trying to sleep on the hard mattress. The exercise room lacks a locker room, bathroom, and free weights. How can you call it an exercise room if you cannot lift a weight in it? Even the restaurant was a disappointment this morning when the espresso machine was not working and the $11 oatmeal delivered was not the steel-cut variety advertised on the menu. Each thing on its own could be overlooked but the problems just kept piling up and I ended up very disappointed in this resort.

Room Tip: DO NOT CHOOSE ROOM 314. You will hear every noise from the restaurant, lobby, and street!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
7 Thank traveling_smiles
I would like to apologize that we were unable to exceed your expectations during your recent stay. . We truly appreciate the time and energy you took to provide us with your valuable feedback and our team is working diligently to improve the conditions within our control that detracted from your experience.

As the General Manager of the property, I would love the opportunity to speak with you further in person to determine how we can regain your confidence in our hotel and our team.

Please feel free to contact me directly at 970-923-8240.

Once again, your feedback is imperative to our success and we thank you for your input.

Be Well-

John Curnow
Also consider these accommodations in or near Snowmass Village
Stonebridge Inn, A Destination Hotel
Stonebridge Inn, A Destination H...
#1 of 13 in Snowmass Village
#5 of 34 in Aspen
The Crestwood Condominiums
The Crestwood Condominiums
#3 of 13 in Snowmass Village

Been to The Westin Snowmass Resort? Share your experiences!