“Avoid the Spa at all Costs!”
Review of Viceroy Snowmass

Viceroy Snowmass
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Snowmass Village
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, Illinois
“Avoid the Spa at all Costs!”
Reviewed March 9, 2011

This review is for the Viceroy Spa, not the hotel since I didn't stay at the hotel.

I should have known that this was going to be a bad experience when a customer was complaining to the Spa Director as I was checking in for my service. I had booked a massage and a facial. My massage was scheduled for 1pm and I showed up at the spa at 12:30 to take advantage of the facilities. Upon check in the spa director advised me that my appointment wasn't until 2pm but said I can hang out in the saline tub and tranquility room until my appointment. I decided to grab lunch instead and as I was sitting down to lunch, I got a call from the spa director telling me that they were wrong and that my appointment was indeed at 1pm, but it just wasn't linked to my other appointment which was at 2pm. So I rushed down to the spa...she assured me that this wouldn't cut into my massage time and that I would get the full hour. I quickly got ready for the massage and was taken into the treatment room. The masseuse was very friendly and nice but the massage was VERY painful. After asking her to lighten up on the pressure twice she still continued with the same force. I was in so much pain that I couldn't enjoy the massage. Once the massage was over, I was taken back to the tranquility room to wait for my next service. Twenty minutes had passed and by this time I had already asked 2 employees when my next service would start. The staff had no clue what was going on. Finally, I saw a manager and an employee scurrying about and then I knew something was wrong. The manager came up to me to tell me that the person that was going to do my facial, took the wrong client into the treatment room. She told me that she would comp my services for that day and that I could come back the next day for a complimentary facial. I was so annoyed because I gave up a full day of skiing to enjoy the spa which turned out to be a disaster. I told the manager to simply cancel everything and that I was leaving the next day. I appreciated her comping my service and making an attempt to allow me to come back the next day but who would want to come back to this cluster!?!!?!? The worst part was that when Debbie, the said manager, first found out about the mess up, she seemed very apologetic. However, once I was dressed and out the door, she seemed a bit snooty...when they were ones that messed up the entire spa day! I totally wasted my time at this place and lost out on my last day of skiing!! The services aren't cheap, but the quality of service sure is!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank shashas0
IvoTomulich, Director of Sales at Viceroy Snowmass, responded to this review, March 14, 2011
Dear Shashas0:

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments related to your experience with us and although your comments weren't positive, they are very valuable to us as we can better understand how our guests perceive us and what areas we can improve in.

Due to the very specific concentration on our Spa, our Director of Spa is very interested in speaking with you at your convenience. She was not on property the day you were in the Spa and aside from hearing in detail what you experienced, she would like to reach out to you and perhaps invite you back on a future visit in an effort to reverse your present opinion.
You can reach our Spa Director directly via email, holleigh.alexander@viceroysnowmass.com or by calling the hotel's main telephone number.
Kind Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed March 6, 2011

Just returned from a week at the Viceroy Snowmass with my husband and two children (ages 2 and 4). What a wonderful week! We were there for a dental conference for my husband. This is the most kid friendly-upscale hotel I have ever encountered. The staff is so friendly and professional (literally CPAs and former marines working at this hotel so these are highly educated and disciplined people). I have stayed at Maroma in Playa Del Carmen, the Sagamore in South Beach and The Sanctuary at Kiawah to name a few supposed upscale resorts. The Viceroy Snowmass blows these resorts away. The room itself overlooked Assay Hill and the kids loved watching the snowcats groom at night. The kitchen was beyond top-notch. All of the finest commercial appliances. The Eight K restaurant is fantastic with a truly modern menu that gives any fine dining venue in Aspen a run for its money. Room service includes "decorate your own cookie" options for kids as well as mini pizzas and other fun options. The pool was as warm as the hot tubs and the kids had a ball splashing about after a long day on the slopes. When my son's blue bunny went missing from his bed the head of housekeeping called our room in a state of distress and determination. Bunny was found. The concierge lined up all of our dining reservations, including the elusive Matsuhisa in Aspen, with ease. The valets are phenomenal. The ski-valets as well. Four Mountain sports is located inside the hotel so you can take care of rentals without even setting foot outside. Hot chocolate and hot cider in the afternoons and water with slices of fruit in giant carafes throughout the resort. The employees of Viceroy Snowmass should be very proud. I am a former HR exec for a 4,000 employee hospital system and am not easy to please. This is the first vacation I have been on where I didn't want to leave. I could have stayed indefinietly!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank CharlestonSCFamily
Dear CharlestonSCFamily:
You're obviously from Charleston, SC....... one of my favorite sea port towns that I frequent often and highly suggest to others.

Well, all I can say is Thank You Thank You Thank You for the very kind words related to your experience. I read your comments during our Weekly Staff Meeting and the team here was beaming with pride. Being in the hospitality business, it really comes down to how well you make the guests feel and in your case, we did our job.
Hope to see you back again soon. You may want to try summer, we have weekly Rodeo's, Free concerts on Thursday nights on the mountain, festivals and such a wide array of activities.
Charleston, SC
Reviewed March 5, 2011

Location-Great for skiing. Nothing within walking distance. No nightlife or easy access to area fine dining.Aspen by bus only practical alternative. Hotel cars available for Snowmass area.
Rooms-Studio was luxurious, bed exquisite, well-appointed. Fireplace romantic. No soaking tub.
Cleanliness-Impeccable
Service-Valet staff was exceptional.Hotel staff genuinely attentive and caring.Ski Shop staff was extraordinary.They were efficient,cheerful and full of expertise. Be sure to follow-up on any pre-trip planning with concierge. Not enough space for all the superlatives for the hotel staff.
Value-Top hotel in Snowmass sitting right on the slopes.Overall "value" of the experience was degraded by the lack of resteraunt choices in the hotel and nearby.Nest poolside cafe hours of operation most disappointing. Unexpectedly closed Mon/Tue.During high ski season one would have expected a hotel with only 2 dining choices to at least make both available every day of the week. Even when the Nest was open the hours were restricted to 6pm, contrary to website and room service menu. Did not dine at 8K. Room service each am was very good and the food was fresh and delicious. The spa was perfect as well.
Sleep quality amazing. Very quiet room. Enchanting room. Exquisite bedding.
Overall-Highly recommend if you intend to primarily ski and relax.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear ramolon:
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. It not only helps our future guests, it's also beneficial to our managment team for making adjustments and improvements to our service.
Our Snowmass Village options of dining and night life continue to expand and with the addition of new facilties in Base Village, we now have within walking distance Buchis, Base Camp Grill and Sneaky's Tavern. The walk is short and in addition we can whisk our guest's back and forth on our electric people mover, "The Luge".
On your next visit, I'd like to point out that some of our Studios have dramatic free standing soaking tubs with a glass separation to the room (electric privacy shade included). Your point is well taken that perhaps we can do a better job of notifying guests of this alternative to a Studio room.
Your comment about NEST is well taken. The popularity of it surprised us all and we are making adjustments to make it available seven days a week and for longer hours.
Again, thank you for your constructive comments and we hope to have you back with us again soon.
Reviewed March 3, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Viceroy Snowmass with our 13 and 9 year old children the beginning of Feb and our experience was spectacular. From the staff who went out of their way to meet your every need, to the ski in ski out location with a lift a one minute ski downhill, our week couldn't have been better. The level of service is what stands out most for me, every person I met had a smile on their face and a honest desire to make sure our stay was great. We are pretty much die hard skiers, out early in the am and in late in the afternoon, so the ski valet was especially impressive to us. They had our boots dry and warm every morning and our skis waiting for us slopeside. They helped my daughter get her boots on and off. They had suggestions to make a trip into Aspen easier and helped us with any questions about the mountain. They were happy and fun to be around, a nice way to start your morning!
We had a 2 bedroom with a pull out sofa in the living room which was beautiful and spotless. The beds were as comfortable as any I've ever slept in, the housekeeping staff was friendly and helpful. Our requests and questions were met quickly and professionally. I loved the turn down service with a different special treat, a pitcher of water and a humidifier turned on each night.
The valet was available to take you anywhere in Snowmass. Again, wonderful, pleasant guys who seemed to really enjoy what they were doing and wanted to make sure their guests were happy and having a good time. Aspen is about 25-30 minutes away and there is a free bus that will take you there. Some reviewers seemed surprised at this, but that just says they didn't do even a minimal amount of research into where they were going!!
The pool and hot tubs were great, I loved the fire pits in the gazebos, a great place to sit and have a cocktail after a long day skiing.

Overall, everyone at the Viceroy helped to make our vacation one of the best ever. Its hard to imagine being disappointed there, and you will surely come away spoiled by the service.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank mkms11
IvoTomulich, Director of Sales at Viceroy Snowmass, responded to this review, March 7, 2011
Dear mkms11:

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay. We're so glad to hear we made your stay a memorable one and based on my reading, the common thread in making it so was the wonderful staff we have here at our hotel. They are our number one asset and your experience with them only reinforces that for us.
Hope to see you again soon.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed February 21, 2011

My wife and I got married back in June and had our reception here which was AWESOME!!! But what I am writing this review about was our stay over the Valentines Day weekend we spent together. As usual everything was top notch in every aspect. They even went above and beyond and had a complementary bottle of wine and treats for us in our room waiting for us to start our romantic weekend together.

We also took the Sushi Class at the hotel on Sunday night and MO (the Sushi Man!!) was great entertaining and he knows his stuff and we had a great time and now can roll our own rolls at home!!

Restaurant week was also going on and we took the opportunities to have the 3 course and 6 course dinners at the 8K restaurant which was amazing from start to finish.

We can’t wait to go back!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Snowman1072
Hello Snowmas1072:

Thank you for giving us the honor of hosting such a special day in your lives as your wedding and we look forward to capturing that magic moment for you whenever you return which we hope will be soon.
Your comments are appreciated.
Regards,
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed February 16, 2011

i was initially happy with the viceroy because it's definitely a beautiful facility. but over the period of 5 days, things deteriorated. service became an empty promise that was never delivered. systems seemed nonexistent and i was very frustrated since we paid a premium to stay at the viceroy. when i checked out and asked to speak with the manager i was told that he was too busy. that, in a nutshell, should tell you the whole story.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Dear katylesser:
So sorry to hear we did not live up to your expectations. It's easy to build a beautiful facility but since we strive to differentiate ourselves through exceptional service, to hear we didn't achieve this with you disappoints us most.
If you still care to share where our shortfalls were, I would very much like to hear what we could have done differently. You can reach me through the hotel's main line or via e-mail, ivo.tomulich@viceroysnowmass.com.
Regards,
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Reviewed February 14, 2011

My husband and I visited Snowmass Mtn for sking and stayed at the Viceroy. I researched all the resorts at snowmass and decided we wanted a ski in ski out resort. We had a terrific room and enjoyed this full service hotel from the dining, ski valet, the fire pit right on the slope. I really enjoyed the service from the ski valet with help with our ski boots and skis.
They placed our skis on the snow and help me with my ski boots. After sking all day, we would ski down to the viceroy and take off our skis and place them in a rack. We enjoyed a drink by the fire pit at the end of the day. One night we had a snow storm and enjoyed a full course meal and never had to leave the property. We would visit the snowmass and the viceroy again. jsmith

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear jsmith:

Thank you for taking the time to post comments on your recent stay with us. We are a new hotel to the Snowmass area and your comments help other visitors to Snowmass make decisions on where to stay. Thank you for recommending Viceroy Snowmass. We're here whenever you want to return and please consider Snowmass's best kept secret, the summer season.
All the Best!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Snowmass Village
The Westin Snowmass Resort
The Westin Snowmass Resort
#6 of 13 in Snowmass Village
The St. Regis Aspen Resort
Stonebridge Inn, A Destination Hotel
Stonebridge Inn, A Destination H...
#1 of 13 in Snowmass Village
The Limelight Hotel
Hotel Jerome, An Auberge Resort
Snowmass Mountain Chalet
Snowmass Mountain Chalet
#7 of 13 in Snowmass Village

Been to Viceroy Snowmass? Share your experiences!