“3rd time wasn't the charm” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Viceroy Snowmass

Viceroy Snowmass
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Snowmass Village
GreenLeadersGold level
“3rd time wasn't the charm”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

After reading through a lot of the reviews here, I agree with most of them and in consideration to the poor reviews the reasons all seem similar to our experiences.
As stated in the title, this was my 3rd stay with the hotel and what most likely was our last stay.
During the post stay survey I voiced the same complaints as I will here and was promptly emailed by Hugh the GM asking if he could call and discuss the stay... And he never called- so here's our experience
Valet staff- most of the guys were pretty good but only a select few seem to actually care. On the night of reserving a ride to Aspen, Patrick at the valet took my reservation at 5:30 (in person) for a 6:30 pick up. At 6:20 when we were walking out of the room our phone rang. I thought it was to alert us the car was there when actually it must have been a call the car left. When I walked outside one gentleman recognized me and asked if I had a ride at 6:00. I replied no, it's at 6:30. This was met with some in audible response by Patrick but the thing I did hear was " he's a liar, he told me 6:00 to my face". Needless to say, the best parts of that evening had nothing to do with Viceroy service.
Amenities- it would have been nice to enjoy the pool/hot tub after skiing or Nest for a drink but the hotel had reserved both the pool and the restaurant for 3 straight nights for a DJ and a large group who had a meeting that week on the mountain.
Value- some other reviews have mentioned this but- the rates advertised do not include a "resort charge"... What are they charging for? Lack of access to the hotel? Or poor service?
Restaurants- as stated I could not evaluate nest due to a nightly party.
8 K... Whoever had written a review and said they were snubbed by the host?!?! You were right on! Except who I thought was a host actually was a manager- which I think is worse. We had to change our reservation from 3 to 7 people- which I know is a different request all together. After a lot of explaining to me how this obviously was a HUGE deal... We were told he had a high top near the kitchen and we had to sit right now. We did, and after ordering 2 bottles of 07 quintessa .... The service and the manager's attitude perked right up! Amazing right?
There was more but overall, you get the picture. Our previous stays all were littered with similar stories. The only reason I went back, I had friends who wanted to stay there.
I am 38 years old and I have been visiting Snowmass for

• Stayed February 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars
4 Thank Preed14
GMViceroySnowmass, General Manager at Viceroy Snowmass, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your constructive feedback on your recent visit with us. I apologize that we were not able to fulfill all your expectations as we strive to create the most positive experiences possible.
Clearly there were some very basic issues that we fell short on during this visit. I am unhappy with the experience we have created for you and wish to create some way forward to erase these and develop more appropriate memories. Please contact me directly so that we may discuss our shortfalls and glean your perspective on our process improvement.

Hugh Templeman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights on business/pleasure.
Really not much to fault at this place.
I find the "American manner" a bit odd and just cannot avoid feeling it is insincere and somewhat sycophantic. Sorry to all the Americophiles!
Putting this to one side, however, I really enjoyed everything about my stay at the Viceroy. Exceptionally helpful concierge, efficient and unobtrusive ski valet, complimentary and near instant transport around Snowmass, sensational spa and a great place to unwind.
Rooms were clean and well appointed, good turndown service. The only downsides to the room were lack of tea and milk, temperamental TV remote and noisy humidifier.
Breakfast was tasty and good quality (not masses of choice, but I prefer quality to choice). It would be nice if there was a "light" breakfast option. The first morning, I only had a bowl of fruit and cup of coffee, but was still charged the full buffet price (I didn't question it, I assume that's the rules).
Not cheap, but worth it. As I like to say "Pay peanuts, get monkeys".
I would definitely recommend a stay here.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
It brings me great pleasure to hear that your experience with our concierge service, complimentary transportation around Snowmass, ski-valet and spa services far exceeded your expectations while you were staying with us here at the Viceroy Snowmass. Thank you so much for writing such a nice review about you recent stay with us. We trust that we will see you again soon, whether it be on business or for pleasure.

Best,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed 10 nights at this awesome hotel with my husband and 9 and 7 years old kids. We stayed at 1 bedroom suite, more than enought for us. Full 4 people kitchen with washer and drier at the room (if I had know it in advance I had packed half of the cloths).
Great nespresso coffee maker at the room, and amazing ski valet.
The Argentinian guys there were more than nice "Pancho" the best!
Breakfast at hotel nice but slow, so we prefer just having a coffee and toasts at the room so ski early.
The mountain is great for family, we could ski through all it with the kids, really fun!
Dinner at hotel too fancy, not much options.
Try pasta at IlPoglio (Snowmass Mall) much better.

Clean up of the rooms not at the level of the hotel.

Great free chocolate, marshmallows and hot apple cider when you come back from skiing, just pick it up from the lobby and enjoy it next to the fire!!!

Great experience!!!

• Stayed February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
I am so pleased that everyone here at the Viceroy Snowmass exceeded your expectations during your recent stay with us. Thank you for writing about all the amenities we have to offer here for fellow travelers to see, such as the ski-valet services, room amenities and afternoon welcome back items in the lobby area. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Snowmass area and to the Viceroy in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Aspen, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have been to the Viceroy many times. Each time flawed by something....slow restaurant service, warm prosecco, confusion with spa appointments, restaurant and front desk staff being chilly, generally unreceptive staff, and the final straw...the very rude parking attendant. He actually accused me of lying to him? He was obviously disgruntled about something and chose to take it out on me, in front of other jaw dropped guests at the front-side of the hotel? I had just left the spa after a relaxing treatment and was met with this on edge young man saying that I lied to him about my schedule of being in the hotel that day, and that I was not ever allowed to park there again...kind of like a parking attendant bouncer. Even the other very efficient bellmen were looking a bit confused. I still really don't know what he was going on about, and it is still quite disturbing why a parking attendant would say anything remotely like this to any guest, nor treat them anyway other than warmly and courteously.???? I really began to believe he had something else going on in his life, and thought it best to leave instead of investigate and made a call to the front desk manager, and also the General Manager. Both were minimally responsive and only mildly apologetic. He said that he would check with the parking attendant/valet what happened...? He offered his assistance in the future if I needed any reservations made...? WHAT? ..For a hotel trying to break into the "Local" appeal, (I am a local and am with Guest Services at Aspen Snowmass), the prognosis is grim...I will not return to, nor can I recommend this huge monstrosity that looms over Snowmass Village with its big, empty restaurant, sparse unprofessional staff, confusing spa protocol, rude dictatorial parking staff, and idle real estate staff in the lobby. It really is a physically beautiful property with comfy rooms, lovely restaurant, and great ski access. BUT, they really need a new team of professional, united, and warm staff to give the Viceroy some soul. The Little Nell, St Regis, or Jerome blows this place out of the water. They really concentrate on the guest, AND the guest returning again and again........

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank mcgeoughski
GMViceroySnowmass, General Manager at Viceroy Snowmass, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Ms McGeoughski

As you can see from all the TripAdvisor commentaries I receive I take them very personally and answer them myself. For those not so good ones I always reach out and ask them to contact me directly. Given we had already spoken it is very disappointing that your view differs from what I believed we discussed at length after your visit. After all I called you back personally as soon as I was aware you had had an issue.

I personally apologized for any miscommunication or umbrage created by my team and promised a review of the situation and that I would address it accordingly which I can assure you I undertook.

I would be more than pleased to discuss this further wish you at your leisure.

Hugh Templeman,
Tyler Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Upon arrival we were assigned a room with an adjoining door, but the lock between the rooms didn't function. We were given another room, in which the thermostat didn't function and the closet lightbulb was out. The repair man was prompt and quickly addressed both issues in our second room. While fixtures are top notch cleanliness was not. The shower floor was never clean, in either room. At this price point one would not expect theses issues. High end fixtures were nice, but overshadowed by the aforementioned.

The ski valet service was exceptional. They were the highlight of the hotel and made ski prep as easy as I have ever had. Tip: request a third floor room, you'll be close to the ski valet and pool area.

Another highlight was the fact that the Viceroy partners with Mercedes to provide complimentary transport around Snowmass, and the hotel is right next to free public transportation to Aspen. For our family the location was ideal. The room could have been ideal, had the staff paid attention to details ahead of time (locks, cleanliness, lightbulbs, the little things).

One final warning: don't make a reservation until you have read their ridiculous cancelation policy. Our arriving flight was cancelled due to weather, and we missed the first night of our trip, but Viceroy expected payment in full even though we called 24 hours prior to check-in to let them know about the flight problem. The management did give a room credit of 40% the next day. A spoonful of sugar for very expensive medicine.

Overall, I'd consider coming again but I'd also look at the other Snowmass slope side options as well.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us here at the Viceroy Snowmass. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience in our ski valet as well as the complimentary rides around Snowmass Village provided by our partnership with Mercedes Benz. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

All the Best,

Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

My wife and I are on our final day at the Hotel. The stay has been incredible. The room is well decorated with current furnishings. The Subzero refrigerate, pass though fireplace between the den and the bedroom, the perfected straightening of the room twice a day, all add to the special touches presented at the Viceroy. The staff has been friendly and efficient. A special thanks to Leonardo and Steven for their kindness and hospitality. The view next to the slopes was breathtaking. It was quite enjoyable watching at levels of skiers pass right in front of our view. Special touches throughout the Hotel (the best hot chocolate around) and the warm welcome with each entrance made our time away from home one of the best ever. I would suggest this great value to anyone visiting the Snowmass/Aspen area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 stars
GMViceroySnowmass, General Manager at Viceroy Snowmass, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your time spent here at the Viceroy Snowmass. I am very pleased that you enjoyed the wonderful amenities in your room, the daily hot cocoa in our lobby area and all of our other services offered throughout the property. We hope to welcome you back to the Viceroy Snowmass very soon so that we may continue our mission of ‘creating lifelong memories for you and your family’.

Warm Regards,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I recently visited this Hotel, specifically the restaurant on the main level. I came there for a drink and appetizer and found the hostess staff to be particularly rude. My friend and I were in search of a comfortable place to get a late night drink and appetizer after a show in one of the ballrooms on this property and the staff was very reluctant to seat us in the main dining area insisting that those tables were reserved for full dinner guests. At that time, about 10 PM, there were many empty main dining room tables and no "dinner guests" lined up at the dooor. The bar and lounge areas were practically full and the staff seemed very indifferent to our needs. Luckily, two seats opened up at the bar and I just quickly took advantage of this opportunity. Later, a woman manager came up to discuss my concerns with me and I shared my annoyance with her staff. I also shared my surprise when I ordered a salad that was served with apple puree (applesause) at the bottom. I was just not expecting a salad with "applesauce" dressing.

While this hotel and restaurant are luxuriously decorated, I found the service and attention to be better at the more basically decorated Artisan Restaurant in the Stondbridge Inn closer to the mountain peak. In this case, less was more in terms of staff attentiveness and service.

Room Tip: I only dined at this hotel restaurant.