“Snowmass 2-hour ride”

Snowmass Creek Outfitters
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Snowmass
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Located outside Aspen and offering scenic 90 minute, 2 hour, half day and all day rides from May-September with hunting trips and pack services from August to November. Owned and operated by locals with a passion for horses.
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Me and some friends wanted to experience Aspen/Snowmass by horseback and we picked this company after a positive review. We had an amazing time! The views are incredible! Our guide was Signa Strom and she was awesome. She was patient, friendly, and informative. The horses were well mannered and cared for. I would recommend this tour to anyone visiting the area!

1  Thank 733kevins
in 3 reviews
"wranglers"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed July 17, 2013

My sis, who loves horseback riding, is visiting from California. Two years ago when she visited, we booked the two hour ride with Snowmass Creek Outfitters; had a great time, and so, this year opted, along with my husband, for the half day ride. If you are looking for a spectacular outdoor adventure, this ride checks all the boxes. Our guide was Signa, a former horse trainer and riding instructor. The ride commences at a trailhead in the White River National Forest, with gradual climbing through lush forest landscape, a little downhill, and then across Snowmass Creek to open meadow. Leaving the meadow, we rode up and up until we reached another meadow where the outfitters have a large tent adjacent to Snowmass Creek for overnight expeditions. Camp chairs came out, and we were served yummy wraps from Whole Foods next to Snowmass Creek. After lunch there were photo ops on horseback taken with our cameras by our guide. There are some challenging rocky sections, both going up and coming down, but Signa made sure our horses were properly cinched, and instructed us on the proper way to maneuver through these tricky areas. I was apprehensive, but I made it (and having do so, would do it again!) This ride takes you through breathtaking forests, meadows, across streams and creeks. Confident horses and guides allow you to enjoy the serenity--aspens, pine, wildflowers, and majestic views of local peaks.

1  Thank Debra H
Reviewed November 2, 2010

My wife had wanted to go horseback riding when we were researching our anniversary trip to Aspen. She wanted to go for a longer ride, as she hadn't done so in a long time. I have a health condition that makes bumpy rides a big problem, so I had her aim for a lower time-frame and hoped my health would hold. We took advantage of the lunch ride - it's a two-hour ride, with a stop for sandwiches at a picnic bench in-between. I also wasn't sure about larger animals and me, as I hadn't been around horses or mules since I was a little kid. So with a bit of understandable hesitation, I booked a ride for a Sunday lunch.

Tom couldn't have made the experience better for us. He and Zack were friendly, coversational, and a really good pick for a couple of inexperienced riders. Being a Southerner myself, Tom's attitude was perfect - he never made us feel like invaders on their turf or "noobs." It felt almost like riding a horse for the first time with your cousin and a buddy of his helping you out, showing you what and what not to do.

I rode a horse named Nose. As Tom put it, "old Nose knows." I said you could call the horse "Cruise Control." I felt comfortable with Nose's temperament. We had a gentle ride along a couple of meadows' fence-line. Obviously, Tom and Zack weren't challenged, but they really matched the ride to what I was comfortable handling. I never felt in over my head. Tom was good about taking pictures for us sitting on horseback.

After the ride was over, I think I was more excited about it than my wife! Honestly, it was the relaxing kind of experience that my wife and I went to Aspen for. Thanks for helping us have a good time.

Reviewed September 30, 2010

We chose to do their 1/2 day ride, about 4 hours, on our trip thru the Aspen and Snowmass area in late August. The trail winds thru a gorgeous valley and continuously opens up to such beautiful views. Single file, you pass thru Aspen forests, a small creek, over logs, under fallen trees, around rock slides and it was simply never dull.

Our guide's name was Chris and he was a quite personable, laid back and informative. We stopped for lunch and he handed out the meals he'd packed on his horse - we had all chosen from about 3 gourmet sandwich boxes when we made the reservation. Each box contained a piece of fruit, a cookie, chips and your sandwich. He also had water for us.

Chris provided for the perfect photo opportunity when he led us thru the creek out into a massive meadow and staged each family group on our horses so that the impressive Maroon Bells were directly behind us for the picture. He took turns with our cameras and took several shots. Simply amazing memories!

They have shorter rides and longer all day trips as well.

1  Thank BippityBoppityBoo