“A wonderful 50th anniversary trip”
Review of Villa Dallavalle

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Silverton
Villa Dallavalle
Ranked #1 of 5 Silverton B&B and Inns
Gadsden, Alabama
“A wonderful 50th anniversary trip”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 59th anniversary 8-31-13. We had been out west 2 other times and both times visited Silverton, Col. The first time we rode the train up to Silverton from Durango and back. The next time we spent only one night. We decided this trip we would go fewer places but stay longer. We started out in Jackson Hole, Wy, then to Las Vegas, then to Sedona, Ar, then to our favorite place Silverton, Col. I looked on Internet and found the B&B Villa Dallavalle. I called from Durango and talked to Lisa and she assured me the roads were ok. She was right on. We arrived and felt so at home from the very minute we walked in. Loved our room and since Donald loves football so good, he loved the big screen where he could watch Alabama play. I went downstairs and a friend of the family gave a mini concert. The breakfast each morning was so good and different each day. Every one was so nice and friendly, Mr Gerald and Mrs Nancy and Lisa and Bill. I am so glad we stayed here. The only parks we were going to were The Arches and Canyon Land. While we were in Silverton they opened up the parks and my sweet husband took me all the way back up to Moab, Ut to these parks. The night before we left, they said we might get a dusting. Woke up to about 5 or 6 inches of snow, I was scared because we had to go across the pass to Uray. We waited until about 10:00 to leave and Lisa assured me again that the roads would be ok. She was right again. I can not say enough about this wonderful place and the sweet people. All I can stay is if you are in Silverton and there is availability, please try to stay here. What a wonderful 3weeks trip. Had fun but was good to get home to our families. June and Donald Horton, Gadsden, Alabama.

Room Tip: I was not paying attention, there was no swimming pool nor fitness center but they did get excellent...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed October 20, 2013

This is a fascisnating old hotel that has been in the same family since the early 20th c. The owner and her parents were present when we arrived rather late at night and off season. They were most welcoming. Our room was clean and nice with warm bathrobes. It's true breakfast is at 8 am rather sharp, but it was tasty. It feels good to support a local family. Also, when we arrived, though late, we were offered wine and cheese which was very nice.

Room Tip: Our room near the front had opposing windows and nice views, Was a great en suite room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Barbara C
Durango, Colorado
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We stayed at the Villa on an overnight hiking trip - Lisa and the staff were always there if we needed anything and elsewhere when we didn't! Our room was small but had everything we needed and for the price - outstanding! Breakfast was ready at 8:00 AM sharp and we were on our way. We can recommend the Villa for clean, comfortable accommodations - and walking distance to anywhere in town. Thanks again Lisa!

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed October 8, 2013

First, we had a nice stay here and would stay again despite some of the downfalls of historic properties. First, the good -- the owners were absent but their "fill-in" host was very nice and extremely helpful. The property is charming and well-kept. The breakfast was nice but if you want seconds, get them quick as they may disappear. The cheese/crackers in the afternoon were very nice and just what we needed when we arrived.

The cons are those you come to expect with historic properties and that is lack of size and sound proofing. Fortunately, there were only two other people staying at the same time and so noise was at a minimum. However, I suspect it can get quite noisy with more guests. We stayed in Room 6 as we wanted a king size bed. We were quite surprised, though, when we opened the door. Rather than repeat something, I suggest you read the review entitled "Time Warp." We agree with that description of the room. We did take a a peak at some of the other unoccupied rooms as the doors were open. All were small but Room 7 was larger and very nice. Of course, it is more expensive. We would probably opt for this room in the future, especially if we were staying more than one night.

Overall, a charming place to stay but realize what you get/don't get with historic properties.

Room Tip: If you need space, opt for Room 7.
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed October 5, 2013

We stayed at this B&B for 5 nights and still didn't want to leave. It's not a hotel but a home, opened-up to travellers who want to experience this beautiful area without the usual tourist traps and chain restaurants. Owner Gerald's stories of life in Silverton make its history come alive. It's family-run, each room unique, clean, cosy but with all modern conveniences incl. internet, TV and mobile phone reception. Breakfast is a good with a wide variety and the evening wine and cheese invites guests of all backgrounds to get to know eachother. We had to stay an extra night due to weather and were given the room at an un-asked for discounted rate. This place is a wonderful find and was the highlight of our 3-week trip. Yvonne O.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Ten years ago, my husband promised to take me to Silverton to expose me to small town charm mixed with the beauty of the mountains and the autumn changing season. Arriving on a cold damp September day, Gerald and Nancy greeted us with old fashioned hospitality, getting us into our room quickly and reminding us of wine and cheese around the large wooden table at 5 pm. Gerald could recount tales of the town since his grandmother arrived and shared his knowledge and books about Silverton.
We stayed for six nights, ( all of which were sunny) ,made new friends around the table, slept in comfy beds, had access to Internet and cell phone , watched our big screen tv in our room each night to catch up on the world we left behind.
Each morning there was a wide variety of breakfast fare from yogurt to fruit to eggs, hash brown and bacon. We noticed several guests were repeat customers. Our stay at Villa Dallavalle was restful, unhurried, uncomplicated, relaxing, warm and inviting. Pip and Mike

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Durango, Colorado
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I stayed one night in room #6 (of 7 available), which has a king bed and where a dog is allowed. The room has a skylight—but no windows, contrary to the statement on this B&B's Web site that "All rooms include...magnificent views of the surrounding mountains."

If you savor the experience of staying in a B&B, this one will probably charm you (as it has most of the tripadvisor reviewers). The hosts are gracious and hospitable, there is plenty of both family and local history on display, and there are opportunities to mingle with the other guests (a wine-and-cheese social hour, and a group breakfast at 8:00).

The room was claustrophobic, the bed taking up almost almost all of the floor space, with not enough horizontal surfaces on which to put my things...and I was only one person, with one night's accoutrements. Even my small dog ($20 nightly) had few places on the floor, since I had to use most of that area for my stuff. Never mind about the closet-sized toilet/shower and one small wooden chair (no desk).

The lack of a window, combined with inadequate electric lighting, contributed after sundown to this feeling of gloom and confinement. Not a room you would want to spend many hours in, as when waiting out a snowstorm to continue your travel...which does occur in Silverton.

I could hear any activity by my neighbors, such as their child's vocalizations and the fan in their bathroom (which activates automatically when you turn on the light). You'll also hear anyone talking, or just walking, in the hallway, through the transom above your door (all seven rooms are on the second floor, so there is a fair amount of coming-and-going). This is not a lodging for noise-sensitive people.

You're expected to eat breakfast at 8:00 with all the other guests. This wasn't made clear to me when I checked in, nor is interacting with a dozen or more strangers, the first thing in the morning, part of my normal routine. So when I showed up at 9:00, I was offered what little was left of the remaining scrambled eggs (reheated), no other entrees, fruit, and biscuits. Better, maybe, than the "continental" breakfast at a Days Inn, but leftovers weren't what I was expecting.

The owners are sincere and conscientious in trying to provide a certain kind of visitor experience, catering to those who, as mentioned above, prefer the B&B ambience. Travelers who value privacy; quiet; a spacious room; flexible breakfast time; and armchair, desk, closet, microwave/refrigerator, coffeemaker amenities will not find them here.

Room Tip: Look before you leap.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Silverton
Grand Imperial Hotel
Hot Springs Inn
#1 of 15 in Ouray
Twin Peaks Lodge & Hot Springs
The Inn of the Rockies at the Historic Alma House

Been to Villa Dallavalle? Share your experiences!