“Get what you pay for”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner
Reviewed June 13, 2014

We drove up to Silverton for the day from Durango. We had driven to Animas Forks and needed a late lunch/early dinner. The train was just about to leave. So, the restaurant had cleared out. There were only about two other tables plus some people at the bar the entire time we were there. I had stopped here because of the décor and the majority of good reviews. We really enjoyed looking at all of the animals and pictures that filled the entire place. There are some pictures that have the Earp boys in them. My daughter had a mushroom smothered burger. My husband had a cheese burger. I had a chipotle chicken sandwich. All of the sandwiches were huge. When I commented about their size upon arrival, the waitress told me they were a 1/2 pound. My chicken breast was the entire breast not just half of one. Needless to say, my daughter and I both needed a to-go box.

There are newer reviews for Handlebars Restaurant & Saloon

Reviewed June 12, 2014

We came in here after a freezing cold jeep tour of Stony Pass and were very happy with everything. I will be returning when I can.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

We stopped in here for lunch, was seated right at the door with a cold draft coming in, the first thing the waitress told us "we out of mac and cheese so don't even think about ordering that" to my 9 year old. Very unfriendly....forgot half my order, food was ok....the waitress was one of the worst we have ever had. With so many tourist coming through, you would think she would at least smile. would not recommend at all.

2  Thank sammyfh
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Wife and I tried Handlebars on our last night in Silverton. Despite the few negative reviews we decided to make up our own mind. We were seated promptly, the restaurant was about 60% full. The crowd was a 50/50 split locals to tourists. I ordered the Chicken Fried Steak, and the wife had Parmesan Chicken. Both were large enough portion that I was totally full and the wife took part of hers home in a box. We also had the recommended peach cobbler that was also very good.

Negative reviews of this place complained about dusty décor and rude waitresses even calling one of them a "rodeo queen". Perhaps they were directed at the older of the 2 who waited on us. We found her charming and interested in providing good service for us. There were 2 tables of locals with whom she visited regularly, but certainly did not ignore us. Our water glass was filled promptly, and our dishes cleared when needed.

I would return.

2  Thank BigL49
Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

We drove from Ouray to Silverton on the Million Dollar highway. We were hungry & a bit weary, so we decided it was time for lunch and stopped at Handlebars. I had a delicious tuna salad in tomato on a bed of greens and my husband enjoyed his gazpacho and salad. We topped off the meal with their incredible peach cobbler. The owner was very engaging and we received good advice on acclimating to the high altitudes from our waiter. Very enjoyable experience!

1  Thank Jill S