“Glad we tried it!”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Glad we tried Hanldebars for lunch! Great elk and buffalo burgers served with excellent sweet potatoe fries! Enjoyed it so much went two more times! As others mentioned, the place is well decorated, including many historical items.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Wait staff were very engaging and attentive including bus staff. Food was very good especially for a small town in remote Colorado.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

We stayed overnight in Silverton and asked our innkeeper for dinner recommendations. She recommended this place, so we tried it and really enjoyed it. The service was fast and friendly. The interior of the restaurant is overwhelming, in a good way. Lots of trophy heads and stuffed creatures...moose, beavers, raccoons, you name it. There's also a wall full of patches from police departments around the world. I'm sure there's a story behind that.

The food was very good. I had a salad with strawberries, mandarin oranges and feta. My husband had an elk burger, which he enjoyed. There's a kid's menu with the usual burgers and chicken nuggets.

We returned the next day for lunch. The food was just as good but the atmosphere was less relaxing...it was PACKED with folks just off the train. Again, the service was very efficient and we were able to enjoy our lunch without being rushed before our own train ride back to Durango. I had a taco salad which was good and my husband tried the buffalo burger. Not as good as the elk, but still not bad.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

After three days of hiking, perhaps anything would have tasted good, but friend Jim and I saw Handlebars and decided to go in for a quick dinner. The food was excellent and in large quantities, service was fast and friendly even with a good sized crowd. A bit strange décor with stuffed wildlife and animal heads hanging from or standing on every surface, plus our table had a full sized cutout of John Elway behind it (with a handlebar moustache painted on of course!). Loved it!

Reviewed August 30, 2013

We had another restaurant in mind; however, they were closed. I am sure that cannot be good for their business to be closed a couple days a week, but it worked out for us because we read about Handlebars on Trip Advisor. We think we made out like a bandit. The restaurant was packed, but we walked up and were sat right away. It took no more than 15 minutes for our food to be at our table. We were told that most everything made here is homemade and it sure taste like it is. We opted for the chicken fried steak and it was yummy. On the way out, we bought some shirts and BBQ sauce. I bought a couple bottles of the BBQ sauce - one for me and another for a friend. The BBQ sauce has a little kick, but now both my friend and I are hooked on it.

If you are not into animals on the wall staring at you; which, we usually are not. We got past the wildlife staring at us because the food was that good. When we go back, we will stop here.