“A Must Do!”

San Juan Backcountry
Ranked #2 of 4 Tours in Silverton
More attraction details
Owner description: Summer: Rent a Jeep, ATV, Dirt Bike, Street Bike or a Mountain Bike OR take a guided tour on an ATV or in one of our open-top 4x4 Suburbans and we will take you to the best and most spectacular places in the San Juans, one of America's most pristine wilderness areas. Winter: Come ride with us starting at Molas Lake Campground on a snowmobile tour that you will never forget! On the perfect day you will arrive up at almost 13k feet, on top of the Grand Turk, where purgatory looks like just a hop skip and jump away! Or come rent skis, snowboards, sleds or ice skate at Kendall mountain and enjoy all the powder we have to offer! Best rates in Sw Colorado!
San Antonio, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Must Do!”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

My husband and I recently made a trip up to Silverton, CO for vacation. This was our second year visiting and we wanted to do something we hadn't done before. We decided to do the San Juan Backcountry UTV tour. It was the HIGHLIGHT of our trip. Our guide was Bob Devin and he was absolutely awesome! He was a blast and very informative about the areas he took us to. It's something my husband and I still can't stop talking about. I'd definitely recommend this for anyone looking for some fun and adventure in the San Juan mountains. We'll definitely be back next year!

Bryan & Brittany Huncherick

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Brittany H

Southlake, Texas
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great but one major recommendation”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

SJB is ran by the nicest people that are very accommodating. We took our teenage grandson and his friend. We rented ATV's to go on our own through the mountain trails. Though we had the complimentary map and the purchased map, it is important you know that the trails are not marked well if they are even marked at all. It is very easy to get lost. We ran across several others lost too. We tried counting trails then looking at the map. We tried going by the directions they told us at SJB but it was extremely frustrating. If mountain trails are still not marked by the time you visit, I recommend you take a guide. Our teenage boys didn't want one but I feel we missed out on the sights I had wanted everyone to see. I recommend them but only guided tours.

Visited June 2012
Fullerton, California, United States
“Great Experience”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We can't stop smiling and talking about our 4x4 tour in the mountains around Silverton. John was our driver and guide and he was beyond great. He knew so much about the area and history and made the trip so enjoyable. We had originally thought to rent a jeep but having a tour guide that knew the area so well made it much more fun and allowed us to relax, enjoy the incredible scenery, and learn about the history of the area. We can't wait to make another trip to Silverton to use San Juan Backcountry and John again. I would have paid twice as much for the experience. It was just that great. John was more than kind and happy to tailor the trip to what we were interested in. There is so much to explore and the scenery is breathtaking. They made us feel like good friends

Visited August 2012
Jackson, NJ
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“A Must Do”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We Had a fantastic time on a 4 hour tour in the customized suburban. Doug was our driver and he was GREAT... He brought us everywhere we wanted to go. We asked Doug to take us High up the mountains and he took us to Elevation 13,000......Hard to top that!!! The trip was better than expected. They provided a very nice lunch with a souvenier bag, very cool...

Visited August 2012
Lexington, Massachusetts
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 97 helpful votes
“An Excellent Guide to Historic Silverton”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We arrived on the Durango & Silverton bus and wanted to tour the Old Hundred Mine before we jumped on the train back to Durango. Taking this tour was the only way to do it and although it was a bit pricey, it was money well spent.

We were met at our bus from Durango by two of the friendliest and most knowledgeable guides you would ever want to meet. They met us in a big, old, open top Suburban. Our main guide had worked in the mines and was intimately connected with the history and lore of SIlverton. He had an encyclopedic knowledge of how the mines worked and he made it all very interesting. The tour provides you with lunch and arranges your bus ride up to Silverton from Durango and books your train ride back to Durango. We even had time to wander around Silverton before we hopped on the train. The folks at San Juan Backcountry have everything organized for you, but it never feels like a packaged tour. There were only four people on our tour in late May, so it felt very personal.

What really surprised us is that even our driver on the motorcoach from Durango to Silverton was knowledgeable and entertaining. We learned so much from him and saw some bighorn sheep cross the road just where he predicted they would be. I figured that I would just nap on the ride up to Silverton, but if I had I would have missed a lot of history and local culture.

I would definitely take another tour with these folks. They earn an A plus.

Visited May 2012