“Absolutely Fabulous”
Review of Cutthroat Anglers

Cutthroat Anglers
Reviewed September 10, 2012

As a regular client of Cutthroat Anglers for 15 years, I have interacted with all the guide and shop staff and never been disappointed. They are enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and professional. I have never had an experience with Cutthroat that was below par.

On the water, they know exactly where to row or where to stand to put the angler on the fish. Even on days when the water is horrible, the weather is ungodly, and the fish are sitting on the bottom of the river with their lips glued shut, the guides exhibit an enthusiasm and a humor that makes the day nearly perfect (if you don't mind being pelted by sleet, but there's nothing they can do about that). They provide detailed instruction about how best to approach the trout and what flies to use, and are accommodating if the angler has a preference on where to fish or with what to fish (though they may laugh a bit when you get to know them better).

I think so highly of this shop that I have frequently recommended it to my friends and family. They always return thrilled to have had such a wonderful fly fishing experience even if they are first-time anglers. I also feel perfectly comfortable sending my female friends to Cutthroat because I know the gentlemen there will behave like, well, gentlemen.

Overall, this is the best fly shop I have encountered and highly recommend it for anyone-- families with small children, teenagers (I am so sorry), elderly grandparents, you name it. Cutthroat will take care of you and your family and you will have a wonderful day on the water.

1  Thank maggie m
There are newer reviews for Cutthroat Anglers

Reviewed September 10, 2012

As visitor's from the east coast and newbies to fly fishing, Cutthroat Angler staff provided exceptional service. From outfitting w. gear, rowing on the majestic Colorado River, patiently teaching technique....our experience was one we will never forget. We look forward to returning to the area and to Cutthroat Angler's for another positive and successful adventure.

2  Thank lado4
Reviewed September 10, 2012

My wife and I had such a great experience we ended up going a second time during our week stay. The guides (we called them the "fish whisperers") were so patient and we never felt like beginners. This was only our third time to fly fish and it can be a little intimidating but the two days were wonderful. The water was such we could float and the fishing was undoubtedly better than we deserved. My suggestion is to call Cutthroat Anglers first and you will not be disappointed.

Tim and Jackie Simmonds

1  Thank Tim S
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I'm in my mid twenties, and I've been fishing with the guides at Cutthroat Anglers since I was twelve. In more than ten years dealing with the professionals at Cutthroat, I have had nothing but great memories.

When I was a child, I remember how patient the guides were in teaching me not only the basics of fishing, but also more advanced topics like fly selection, knots, boat rigging, and the like. If you are interested in progressing in this sport, all you have to do is ask one of Cutthroat's courteous, professional guides.

What really convinces me that Cutthroat provides quality guide services are the very rare days wen I go out and don't catch fish: those days are still great. Sometimes, the fish don't bite. If you're a fisherman, you know that. And you know that on those days, its just the fish and not you. I have been out with some guide services in Colorado that on bad days just give up and get morose and defensive. Not Cutthroat's guides. First, they typically ask what you want to do about the situation--they care about your input. Sometimes, they are more than willing to take you to a different part of the surrounding area to try and find active fish. If you're tired, they're fine taking a break to eat. Ultimately, the guides are at your disposal. They want you to enjoy your trip, and they do an excellent job of making that happen.

I cannot recommend Cutthroat highly enough, especially if you are new to the sport or just need a low-pressure refresher after having been away from the water for too long. These guides are great, and they will certainly do everything in their power to make your time with them enjoyable and worth the money.

3  Thank Taylor H
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We've fished with Cutthroat dozens of time since my kids were young -- and they're in college and law school now--and with other guides and shops across the globe. For our money, Cutthroat is the best. They really try to match angler with experience, and want to encourage the sport of fly fishing. They recognize some people (spouses or younger generations) may not be as manic about the sport as others on the trip, and try to make the adventure enjoyable for anglers of all levels. And guiding is a tricky business: some days the fish bite, others they don't. I know I've been in a boat with our favofite guide when he changed our flies more than a hundred times, trying to find that "perfect fit" for the disinterested trout. Sometimes you can see fish you can't get to, or the anglers in your boat can't reach. When we have guests here in the Vail valley, I skip the other guide shops and send them straight to Cutthroat. Anyone is welcome, but fishermen (and women) who are serious go here.

1  Thank FishonVail