“Extraordinary ‘Food’ Ranch”
Review of North Fork Ranch

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Shawnee
North Fork Ranch
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Shawnee
Virginia Beach
“Extraordinary ‘Food’ Ranch”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Yes, North Fork Ranch is actually a Dude Ranch, but you will not believe how good the food is. No pork and beans here! My husband, son, and I just enjoyed a 3-day getaway to NFR, and it's terrific. Great horses, friendly hosts, scenic vistas, and did I mention the food is awesome? It's the perfect place to escape the 21st century and remember what life's all about. Truly a fantastic experience. Thanks, Karen and Dean!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Klondike Cabin. Loved the porch and the stone fireplace.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Waukee, Iowa, United States
Reviewed September 3, 2012

In looking for a place to host our semi-annual team meeting one of our leaders found NFR. We looked it over and said it sounded like fun so we booked it. 20 people from all over the country arrived last Wed (8/29/12) in Denver (gateway city - huge plus) and then drove out 80 minutes to NFR for three days of fun, relaxation, and some excitement. From the moment we arrived we fell in love with NFR and it just got better every day. The food was incredible - five star all the way. The atmosphere was amazing, truly gods country, and the people were SO friendly. They bent over backwards to accommodate our every whim and wish and had permanent smiles on their faces! WONDERFUL PEOPLE!! The activities (horse back riding, trap shooting, fly fishing) were so fun and really helped build the team atmosphere we were looking for. We had morning meetings in the main cabin, and afternoons/evenings of fun.

I have recommended to all our leadership that they look at NFR for future team meetings and certain they will be as thrilled as we were. I have been to 30+ team meetings at various venues - none compared to NFR! THANK YOU so much - and we will be back!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My husband and three sons, aged 13 and 9, and I loved our dude ranch experience. Beautiful locale with rooms in cool cabins as well as a stone house. Delicious food! Our boys are very active and never ran out of fun things to do--trail rides with picnic lunches, archery, skeet shooting, pool and hot tub, and well as zip lining and white water rafting. We did it all together as a family, but my husband and I would relax in late afternoon and the boys could run around the ranch, going to rec room and pool/hot tub.
It was a very memorable family experience. You will never regret taking your family, friends, or partner on vacation to North Fork Ranch!

• Stayed August 2012
Port Republic, New Jersey
Reviewed July 14, 2012

As a family of five, we had a great time at North Fork! Loping on horses, whitewater rafting, fly fishing, great food and cowboy songs around a camp fire just made for an outstanding vacation. Our time at North Fork was clearly a highlight amidst traveling through cities and national parks in CA & AZ. Dean and Karen were great hosts throughout our stay! Top shelf service from the staff all week.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We are a family of two adults and two kids, and we joined another family for a shared holiday at The NFR. It was heaven! There is a wealth of activites, changing every day, offered for all ages--and while there is a calendar of planned special activities, the staff are extraordinarily accomodating. We missed the river rafting day, for example, but the staff at the Ranch were happy to set up a rafting trip for us on a different day--and the cost was still included! Riding, fishing, hiking in the gorgeous mpountains, it is all there. Eat light before you go: the food is terrific and abundant. Above all, the entire feeling of the place is relaxed, welcoming and fun. The staff were warm and responsive without exception. I give credit for this to Karen and Dean, the long time owners/hosts. They are splendid warm people, and that clearly sets the tone for the whole team. Kudos to them. It's a long way from Brooklyn, but we are already looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Quite a long trip for us Brits, but worth every mile! We stayed for a week, and loved every minute, a beautiful setting, amazing food, great company, luxury rooms, and most of all
great trail riding. As experienced riders we were delighted to be able to choose horses,
go out all day on great trail rides and have long "lopes" across the mountains, We definitley
found our western spirit!
We also had fun white water rafting, shooting and fly fishing, what more could country girls
ask for! We would go back in a minute!
Planning to return again soon.

Room Tip: Cabins are amazing, great for families or larger groups, Rooms in the main ranch beautifully design...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank KARENANDFAYE
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 13, 2012

I booked 3 nights stay at North Fork Ranch based on the good reviews here, and the information on their website. We were a party of 6; my husband and I, our two children (ages 1 and 7), and my parents stayed there last week. I was a little worried about having to rough it at a dude ranch, but my fears were completely unfounded. This is a gorgeous spot with very comfortable accommodations. They put us in the Klondike cabin. which was perfect for our family. The kids had a room, we had a room, and my parents had a room. (There was another room upstairs that we could have used if we'd wanted to, but we didn't need the additional space.) The cabin was just a short walk from the main lodge, a short walk from the fishing pond, and a very short walk from the pool. It really gave us a sense of privacy without isolating us, and I can't recommend it enough for a family or family and friends traveling together.

The one thing I do want to mention is to be aware of the altitude. It is at approximately 8000 ft, and we were flying in to Denver from sea level. My husband and I weren't bothered by it, although we did take it a little easier than we might otherwise have, but my mother really noticed it. While the beds were very comfortable and we (and the kids) slept very well, my mother didn't sleep as well because of problems adjusting to the altitude. Just be aware of it when planning your trip, particularly if you know you have altitude issues.

The offered activities, even for the 3 days we were there, were varied and interesting. My husband and I rode every day. We did both trail rides (with just the two of us and a guide or two most of the time) and bushwhacking out into the national forest nearby. Our 7 year old son did not feel up to doing multiple hour trail rides, so they led him around the ranch on a couple of occasions. Most of the people staying at the ranch went out whitewater rafting one day, and seemed to have a great time. (While they have childcare available, we did not want to leave our one year old daughter for the 10 hours the group was going to be gone.) They did a hayride one evening, followed by an entertainer singing cowboy songs around a bonfire while the kids (and some of the adults) roasted marshmallows. They had archery lessons one afternoon, which our son really enjoyed. They also had a fly-fishing workshop, which the other adults in our party enjoyed, and thrilled our son, because he actually caught a rainbow trout. All of this, and we were only there 72 hours.

This was the best ranch of its type we could find for our family, because we wanted something that was really kid friendly, but didn't send your kids off all day away from the family. They have a petting zoo (which currently has a mini mule, goats, chickens, and a rabbit), a playground, a teepee the kids can play in (or sleep in!), childcare available if you want it (at no extra charge), a heated pool, a pond to fish in (if you don't want to pay a guide to take you out fly-fishing, since only the teaching workshop is included) and, of course, horses to ride.

The food at North Fork Ranch is all included. It was consistently both good and plentiful. Others have already praised it highly, and I all I can add is that they are right. They also made gorgeous desserts, and had a cookie jar with the cookie of the day available all the time. I'm not sure if my husband or my son snuck more cookies!

I wish I had known that you could do your own laundry (they will even provide the detergent), so we could have packed a little lighter. I also wish I'd know how much we would enjoy it, because I'd have tried to find a way to book a few more nights!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shawnee
Keystone Lodge & Spa
Historic Windsor Hotel B&B
#1 of 2 in Silver Plume
The Cabins at Country Road
Highland Haven Creekside Inn

Been to North Fork Ranch? Share your experiences!