“A Gem On The Beach”

The Saint Augustine Beach House
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Vilano Beach
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Our quest was to find place on Vilano Beach for just one night that would take dogs (specifically a 90 lb. Shepherd). An on line search revealed The St. Augustine Beach House. This place was clean, up to date in furnishings and décor, quiet and very accommodating. We would recommend the St. Augustine Beach House for a short stay or a week long vacation as it is located right on the beach and within walking distance to the ICW, Publix, shopping and restaurants. Also just a short drive over the bridge to St. Augustine. (The view from the top of the Vilano Beach Bridge is one of the best panoramic views in Florida!) Staff was great. It is good to see Vilano Beach coming into it's own again!

Room Tip: Bottom floor had no ocean view due to dunes. Still it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TimandSherri G
sabhadmin, Front Office Manager at The Saint Augustine Beach House, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Thanks so much for your wonderful comments! We love our beachfront location and agree that it has great access to all Saint Augustine has to offer!! We also do love pets - and welcome them regardless of size... We hope you will be planning a return trip very soon and look forward to welcoming you back to The Beach House.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights. I really liked this place. It is minutes from downtown St. Augustine, The view is beautiful, my husband and I sat on our balcony every night and enjoyed the ocean front view. There were dolphins almost every evening. The room was large with a nice kitchenette. The staff at the desk were excellent. They made you feel very welcome and had plenty of suggestions for where to eat, things to do etc. The only reason I gave it four stars instead of five was because of the housekeeping. They just missed the little touches that you are used to in this price range. It is the first hotel I ever stayed in where housekeeping made you wash your own coffee pot. They also forgot to stock things (like toilet paper and coffee) so we had to go to the desk to get it. Being at a beach front hotel a quick sweep of the floors would have been nice as well.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

We appreciate your kind comments and are truly happy to know you would plan to stay with us again! Attention to detail is very important to us, so we are disappointed that you had some issues with the housekeeping service. We'll definitely step up the effort in that department. In the meantime, we look forward to seeing you again and hope it will be very soon...

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Let me begin by saying that the positive reviews on tripadvisor are not overstated. My family came here for a week and we are not leaving disappointed. I will attempt to give as much detail as possible so you can make an educated decision based on your personal vacation goals.

First and foremost is the hospitality. The hotel business is one founded on hospitality and the hospitality at the Saint Augustine Beach House is of the highest sort. I couldn't begin to count the number of times we were asked if they could do anything for us. The thing is, it didn't seem contrived or obligatory in nature. They genuinely seemed like they were happy to tend to our needs. From coordinating room cleaning times to providing fresh beach towels to the complimentary continental breakfast, the service was second to none.

The second point is family friendliness. They provide beach chairs, toys, boogie boards, etc. for the kids (of all ages) to use on the beach. This saved much room in the vehicle on the trip here. The area is quiet and the presence of a Publix supermarket a block away was wonderful for cost savings. A 10 minute walk was the Vilano Pier that juts out into the intercoastal waterway. On the way to the pier is a nice little frozen yogurt shop. Next to the pier is Vilano 180 restaurant which has some really good pizza.

Third accolade is pet friendliness. That is no small attraction given that our dog is as important to our kids as she is to us. In fact, the whole town of St. Augustine is one of the pet friendliest places I've ever visited. For a small fee ($15, if memory serves me) our dog was able to stay with us. When we booked the room, I was specifically looking for a place with first floor accommodations because our dog is 12 years old and has arthritis. With no elevators in the hotel, first floor was a must. They worked with me in arranging the dates and even shuffled some of the rooms that were reserved to get us in a first floor room during the timeframe we were looking to travel. Again, this plays to the first point where service and hospitality are fantastic.

Fourth is the beach. While Vilano Beach is a drive-on beach, the vehicles are limited on how far they can proceed onto the beach. It never felt dangerous for our kids. Also, the beach has something for everyone. Straight out from the hotel the surf can get pretty big. We saw surfers, bodyboarders and skim boarders while we were here. The beauty of the beach, though, is that if big surf isn't your thing, a short walk to the south, just past the rock jetties (it'll make sense when you're there) is much calmer and amenable for little ones. And though we were visiting at the height of summer, the beach never felt crowded. Also, the beach is pet friendly (leash required) and the kids had a blast petting all the dogs that came past.

Finally, the room. The rooms at SABH are just what you want in a beachside room. Tile floors, with bright and airy decorum. The fact that every room faces the ocean is a nice plus and even the first floor rooms offer a view of the water beyond the sea oats. I've had the opportunity to stay in some very nice places with my work and while I have stayed in more luxurious hotels, I have zero complaints about the accommodations.

I really can't say enough about Saint Augustine Beach House. I've already recommended it to my parents and brother. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone else, either. It is the epitome of a family beach vacation hotel. I look forward to visiting again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jamie B
sabhadmin, Front Office Manager at The Saint Augustine Beach House, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Wow - we so very much appreciate the time you took to share such truly awesome comments! It was our pleasure to welcome you and your family here at The Beach House - and it means a great deal to our entire staff to know that your experience with us was a memorable and happy vacation for your family. The goal of everyone here is to do our best to ensure our guests feel like extended family and would consider returning to visit with us again. Thank you so much - you truly made our day!!

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Every aspect of this stay was wonderfull.The hotel room was very modern,the outside was a little dated but hey that's half the charm and u can't beat the location right on the beach and a two min drive to downtown. the staff was always very helpfull. i would deff. stay again

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank srfoster_lpn

'Perfect stay' is such a good comment to see! From all of us at The Beach House many thanks and we hope your next stay will be just as perfect! We agree - the location is so convenient, and you certainly can't beat the views.. We'll be looking forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here at the end of June with my Fiance' and I would have to say it was the most perfect place. The rooms are 100% clean and the staff at the desk are very friendly and courteous. Pets are allowed bur you would never know it. The ocean view is great and each room has a balcony with chairs outside. There is no other place I would stay other than here.

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank JeepForceOne
sabhadmin, Front Office Manager at The Saint Augustine Beach House, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

So happy to read your comment that The Beach House would be your first hotel choice when you visit the area!! We will do our best to make sure every visit is perfect and hope it won't be too long until we see you again., Thanks so much for your review and regards from all of us...

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Great place to stay! We were treated just like family and they are even pet friendly which was an added bonus. A very short walk to the beach and they provide beach towels, chairs, toys, you name it. The staff was outstanding and we will definitely go back someday!

Room Tip: 3rd floor was the best view of the ocean!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank rpeterson24

Thank you for your comments! We do hope every guests leaves us feeling like 'family' and if you ever have any suggestions for additional services, just let us know. We will be looking forward to your next visit... Regards from all.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a vacation/ business trip. I had a seminar to attend at the university of St. Augustine and we stayed 4 days to turn it into a little get away. What a great find this place was!!! Right on the beach with a balcony overlooking the ocean ( we saw dolphins almost everyday while we had coffee on the balcony and we were able to bring our dogs. Needless to say, all of us had a great time, very relaxing and the staff were extremely friendly. They worked out our room cleanings to when we had the dogs down at the beach and even provided beach chairs and other stuff. The rooms were very nice and clean and offered a very comfortable king size bed, pullout couch with queen size bed and a kitchenette. I was reading some other reviews that people were upset about there being no elevator but I will say, it seemed very handicap accessible. I am a Physical Therapist and can't help but to always notice that kind of stuff even though it doesn't apply to me. There was a very nice ramp and they even had a wheel chair lift for people to get on the deck. If you can't do stairs or don't like them, get a first floor room. My only caveat to the whole thing is DO NOT Eat at Puccinis pizza in the publix plaza, we ordered there our last night and we both got sick. Not sure how a place can make such a horrible pizza but they sure managed to. We will most definitely be returning to SABH. We have already told many of our friends about it!!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank A P

We're glad you were able to turn your business trip into an oceanfront vacation with family and even happier to know you enjoyed your visit with us! Thank you for your comments about the accommodations and the cleanliness.. our HK staff is proud to hear it. We thank you as well for the recommendations - and for your comment that you will return for another stay. We look forward to seeing you again.. and we'll help with some lists of other pizza options in the area! Many thanks.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilano Beach
#9 of 78 in St. Augustine
2 mi away
Hilton St. Augustine Historic Bayfront
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St. Augustine Historic District

Been to The Saint Augustine Beach House? Share your experiences!