“There's still magic here”
Review of Magic Beach Motel

Magic Beach Motel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Vilano Beach
Melbourne, Florida
“There's still magic here”
Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

We stayed the weekend of May 30-June 1 for our fifth visit to this charming Vilano Beach property. It remains a fun stop for beachgoing, shopping, dining and exploring in the St. Augustine area. The rooms are clean and quiet and the walk to the beach is very short.

Owner Earl tries very hard to please his guests and maintain the high quality of the aging main building. He is in the process of upgrading the pool area and resurfacing the sidewalks/parking areas.

I continue to recommend this motel because of its value and retro traditions.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Flicker45

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed May 28, 2014

On a very long drive up the East coast, my husband and I hit Saint Augustine at 9pm. I was reviewing hotels in the area and found the Magic Beach Motel. Not having spent much time in Saint Augustine I was unfamiliar with the area. Dreading another night in an impersonal hotel room (the kind where once you walk into the lobby you could be anywhere in the world and it would appear almost identical), I was very curious when I saw the retro and small, family run Magic Beach Motel. Rates were good and reviews were excellent. I called and booked a room. I was thrilled upon arrival! The neon flamingos and hopping rabbits at the entrance were fabulous! Easy check in and our room had everything we needed. Small kitchenette with stove top, refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot, plates, utensils, pots, pans, glasses and mugs would be really useful for a longer stay. We had dinner delivered (no restaurant at hotel) and collapsed into bed. The curtains blocked all light and we slept very well and for about 10 hours. I woke up and walked maybe 2 minutes to the beach where I spent an hour swimming. When I came back to the hotel to change clothes and check out, I stopped by the pool to rinse the sand off at the outdoor shower and couldn't resist a quick splash into the pool. It felt like a salt water pool to me but I didn't verify. Was so sad to leave. It is rare that I grow attached to a hotel. But I cannot wait to go back! It's an old motel that has been updated without losing its retro character. Bathroom had a whirlpool/jetted tub in addition to a shower. Our stay was super comfortable. I love simple. And that is exactly what this motel provides. Friendly, helpful staff, great location, no fuss. I will most definitely come back and anyone who appreciates value, comfort and a genuine 1950's motel will be extremely happy here.

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank MaggieLeah
Morgantown, WV
Reviewed May 26, 2014

After reading the reviews I was very excited to stay at the Magic Beach Motel. We stayed May 18-23, 2014. Frankly, I was disappointed. We had a regular king room and it was small. There was room for a night stand on one side of the bed and a small table (maybe 3x3) with 2 chairs on the other side. On the plus size the room was very clean and housekeeping came in each day.
The biggest issue we had was the pool was not available for at least 1 1/2 days of our stay. The first time, the girl in the office said they had a leak and it had to be fixed, the other time there was someone painting the deck (this was the Thursday and Friday before Memorial day). Now, to be honest, we had to check out on Friday so I'm not sure when it was finally done but when we left at 10:00 a.m. there was still painting to be done. I understand pool maintenance but not right before a holiday - and it didn't help that there was what appeared to be the painter's wife/girlfriend sitting beside the pool while he was painting!
The continental breakfast was ok but didn't start until at least 7:30 a.m. My husband is an early riser so he drove to Dunkin' Donuts each morning for coffee.
The owner was very friendly (Earl?). Nice guy and I do think he really tried to make our stay pleasant. The neon lights and murals in the rooms are pretty cool. It is convenient to a Publix, pizza place, Chinese restaurant, beach and Pier.
I would be willing to give the Magic Beach Motel another try but I would forgo a king size bed for 2 queens to get a bigger room.

Room Tip: Go with a room with 2 beds, even if they are full or queen - you will get a little bigger room!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dogmom62
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed May 18, 2014

We stayed 5 days in May in a room with a kitchenette on ground floor. First off, the Motel itself is 50's awesome, with its neon rabbit out of the hat archway, and neon flamingos and clock tower, I love that stuff so i must've taken a million pics of it. .Our room had double leaded glass doors that lead onto the street. The room was very clean and nice, retro, cable tv, and best of all, you can really crank the a/c down if you're hot-natured like me. They serve continental breakfast in the morning till 10, which we used every morning. The staff was great, very friendly and accommodating, even calling us one morning when our make-up-service tag fell off our door to ask us which we wanted. Very very happy with the motel, will definitely go back there again. Prices were great in May. It's close to everything in St. Augustine. It's an easy quick walk to the beach. The beach was the only thing that I would not recommend, when I was there, it was 90 percent shells, broken up sharp shells large and small, no white sand, and about impossible to walk on barefooted. Other than that, I totally recommend the motel, it was great!

Room Tip: All rooms looked great to me, the ones I was able to see into.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Spent a quick 2 night weekend getaway. Marvelous!! Motel was redone in 2012 and is very clean and updated. Flamingos in the stucco have been restored and are so cute. We booked two king jaccuzi suites on the second floor. Both had a kitchenette with a refrigerator/freezer and microwave. The balcony view (although not right on the beach) was relaxing and we could enjoy the cool beach breeze. Adequate continental breakfast each morning. Only a 1 block stroll to the actual beach which is much more laid-back than the beach at St Augustine Beach. More family friendly for sure. Grocery store across the street and several restaurants within walking distance. Will definitely return when we need a quick relaxing weekend. Only minutes from the historic sites in St. Augustine to the south and nature preserve to the north.

Room Tip: second floor king Jacuzzi with balcony
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Wow! I don't even know where to begin, this place is great and we can't wait to go back. This was a last minute plan that fell into place. Three girlfriends celebrating Mother's Day weekend in retro-style. This place had everything we needed, stayed in room 204. It has a great balcony to people watch with views of the ocean. We'll be back soon!!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed May 13, 2014

We recently stayed at the Magic Beach and had a kitchenette with two bedrooms (including a seating area in one) – each bedroom with cable TV, a small bathroom (and small shower – no tub) with a nice eat-in kitchen (table and four chairs). The kitchen had a nice under mount sink, granite counter top, small (but not micro) refrigerator, a two burner built-in electric stove-top, microwave, toaster and small coffee maker. There were dishes, silverware, a few utensils and a couple of pots/pans. The free breakfast was great (dry cereal, packaged oatmeal, packaged sweet rolls/muffins, bagels, cream cheese, jelly, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, bananas, orange & apple juice, coffee, hot tea and milk). You could eat in the area where breakfast was available or walk back to your own room. The bathroom was small, but adequate and there is no shortage of hot water! The A/C worked like a champ and there were ceiling fans in both bedrooms. Vilano Beach is a very short stroll down to the end of the street and the drive into St. Augustine takes less than 5 minutes. This place is clean, clean, clean, very quiet and the owners are very pleasant. My only suggestion would be to replace the futon in the seating area (I know it’s there for an additional sleeping area, but it was very uncomfortable to sit on) and to add more outside chairs so that each room has two outside the room doors. Having said everything, if you are looking for the Hilton, this is not the place for you, but if you want a nice, clean, affordable property that is located a short distance to all the attractions, this is the place for you. You can’t beat the value or cleanliness and you won’t find a better place to “stay” on a vacation. I intend to stay there again and to recommend it to all my friends.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Ascend Collection Castillo Real
Ascend Collection Castillo Real
#3 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach
Best Western St. Augustine Beach Inn
Best Western St. Augustine Beach...
#2 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach
The Saint Augustine Beach House

Been to Magic Beach Motel? Share your experiences!