“Great Beach!”

Magic Beach Motel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Vilano Beach
“Great Beach!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Vilano Beach is a little gem in the St. Augustine area. The motel is truly an old fashioned motel. It had a decent breakfast included in the room rate. The motel is older and that is noticeable. The rooms were CLEAN with tiny kitchens and bathrooms. If you don't mind the motel style( park outside your door) and you want to be close to the beach- the Magic Beach Motel is a good place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

I really wanted to love this place . It's adorably retro and so close to the beach i though it could do no wrong but we were let down . Our room appeared clean when we arrived but after walking on the floor for an hour my socks were black . The utensils provided for the kitchenette were dirty . The floors are all tile which makes for a slippery wet floor . They never changed my sheets my whole visit which was an issue because the tile floor was a magnet for sand which ended up in my bed each night despite my constant attempts to clean it out . The staff seemed nice enough but definitely were not efficient or super helpful . They kind of all seemed confused to me. The ice machine worked one day out of my stay . There is not enough parking for the hotel and they follow a first come policy which means you may not get a parking spot at the property and they really don't care . The hotel allowed 3 adults and two kids in the room next to us which only had a twin and a double bed . This translated into a really loud neighbor ( you can hear everything thru the bathroom walls ) and a literal party on the patio outside of our room in which they used our chairs and even extinguished a cigarette on a chair by our door . As if all of this weren't enough a member of our party was joined in the shower by a 2 inch cockroach . You know the old saying ... If you see one there are 100. It's great the owners here tried to renovate this motel but they clearly have some kinks to still work out .

• Stayed July 2013
5 Thank Ivanatinkle1
texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

My wife and I had the pleasure of finding this little gem just feet from the sandy Florida beach. Its deco style architechture, pristine ammenities and welcoming staff made our visit that much more enjoyable.

This FAMILY RUN business brings you back to the day when customer service, a warm smile, and personal pride and ownership were more common than today's corporate america.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to others visiting the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank happytraveler_2013tx
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Traveling with daughter and 15 year old granddaughter. The location to beach, restaurants, and grocery store is fantastic. The staff at the motel were very courteous. We did not use the pool, but did have a chance to put our toes in the ocean. Our room was right next to check in, very convenient. We had two rooms with a king and queen bed, large bath and kitchenette. I highly recommend this hotel. Wish we could have stayed longer. Will definitely go back.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Pamela R
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

After reading the reviews (and ignoring those from people that this was their only review) I decided to take a chance on this hotel; I was going to stay here with my 4 year old daughter. The two women at the front desk were very friendly and tried their best to make things work out. The man (owner?) has horrendous customer service. The first room smelled horribly of bleach. Unfortunately I paid for the room when I checked in; take a look at the room first and THEN pay. They did "upgrade" me to a room with a kitchenette, I thought, super! until I realized there were no utensils. I don't typically travel with pots/pans, plates, cups etc unless I am backpacking, so the kitchenette was essentially useless (there was a small coffee maker). To help get rid of the overpowering bleach smell I opened the windows thinking that might help, then walked around outside (the pool wasn't really open, you couldn't see the bottom, and was in the parking lot with no vacation vibe) and an hour later decided to talk to the man at the front desk about the still over powering bleach smell. He was dismissive, came to the room and said "I don't smell anything" and suggested I open the windows. I talked to the women, after, and said that the room wasn't going to work out. They "upgraded" me again to a larger room. When I went to that room I got a bad vibe because there were transient looking men working on the building next door, walking around 5 feet from the entrance to my room, and this room smelled like smoke. At this point I was no longer comfortable staying at this hotel. The rooms smelled (the beds, however, seemed new and were comfortable) the towels were like sandpaper and I didn't feel safe. The pool is a hole in the parking lot, the man at the front desk said it wasn't open and I should use their other pool - apparently they own another hotel on the beach. Also, there are trucks, cars driving all over the beach. This wasn't so great with a 4 year old who runs all over the place at Vilano beach. I realized this review makes me sound like a freak, but I consider myself to be pretty flexible. After I told them I would not be staying at the hotel, they refused to refund my money. This hotel would be fine for some people, but I recommend taking a look at the room first. For a little bit more $ I ended up going to the Hilton Garden Inn on St. Augustine Beach, which was great. Clean without smelling like chemicals, across the street from a safe, not crowded beach, and outstanding customer service. If you are traveling with kids I wouldn't chance Magic Beach; creepy.

Room Tip: Look at the room before you pay for it.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Custardnraisins
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

We truly had a wonderful at this laid back motel. Traveling with 3 kids 5 years old and under can be very stressful. But we were completely comfortable. Being able to park right in front of our room is an easy trade off for traversing hallways and elevators just to have a tiny balcony somewhere else.
We stayed in the two bedroom suite with separate kitchen. One bath with shower only. The kitchen is small, but for vacation it was entirely sufficient for our purposes. I've paid a lot more for a lot less in the way of kitchen amenities, so this surpassed our expectations. The bathroom is also small, but we were kept well supplied with clean towels, so long as we put the maid service card out on the door.
Other than the small kitchen and bath, I felt the two bedroom areas were very spacious. Lots of room for my kids to run around. I can't speak for how large one bedroom rooms are...but if you truly want extra space it might be worth the little bit extra for the two bedrooms, especially if you have even one kid traveling with adults. That way you can close their bedroom door at bedtime :-)
The continental breakfast was more than enough. The owner/host is always there, keeping hot coffee brewing and making sure you have everything you need. He chatted and helped entertain our little boys while we finished eating which they loved. If you like something more than what they have the Publix is across the street. The Publix was reasonably priced, and had all the beach type things we randomly discovered we needed, floats, sunscreen, etc.
Great location, close to the beach, close to in-town St. Augustine. Clean and friendly.
We had no complaints, and if we ever travel to St. Augustine again, I will stay here again.
Thanks Magic Beach for a lovely family stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

I spent a night in St. Augustine at the Magic Beach Hotel on my way home to Virginia from southern Florida. My room was clean and comfortable, the check in/checkout process was smooth and easy and I was pleasantly surprised at just how close to the beach this hotel is. Just a minute or so walk from the room to the ocean. By car it was just a few minutes drive to the historic area of St. Augustine. There was a small fridge and a microwave in the room and a grocery store right around the corner. And the all around cuteness of this retro motel was incredible!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Ascend Collection Castillo Real
Ascend Collection Castillo Real
#2 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach
BEST WESTERN St. Augustine Beach Inn
BEST WESTERN St. Augustine Beach...
#3 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach
Ocean Sands Beach Inn
Ocean Sands Beach Inn
#4 of 5 in Vilano Beach

Been to Magic Beach Motel? Share your experiences!