“Great!”

Magic Beach Motel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Vilano Beach
“Great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

Me and several family members stayed here for 5 days. The owners were very nice. Rooms are extremely clean and bed are very comfortable.

• Stayed July 2012
4 Thank bobclarkey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

We decided to drive to Vilano Beach and stay the weekend for a last minute trip. When looking for hotel availability we were disappointed at the lack of rooms available in Vilano and the high price ($199) for a room at the Hampton. When we found out that the Magic Beach hotel was open for business after renovation we decided to give it a try. And I'm really glad we did!! From the first time speaking with the owners on the phone to the time we arrived it was great service. Remy is wonderful and very accommodating. We arrived at midnight, no problem she was there waiting with a smile. We stayed in room #14 one of the suites with 2 beds, a separate bedroom and a kitchen. We were the first to stay in this room and it was very clean, cold and felt new despite it being a old hotel that has been refurbished. We were so happy with the value of this hotel and it's proximity to the beach- minutes to walk. We were told that they are redoing the second story portion of the hotel and many ammenities will be forthcoming. Very pleasantly surprised with this one!!!

• Stayed June 2012
4 Thank Jklh1925
west virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2010

The staff and accomodations were great...kitchen fully stocked with everything but food. Very clean and comfortable. Plenty of towels, soap, shampoo. The staff was so friendly that we felt we had know them for years. We will definitely go back again and again. It was funky and cool and on the ocean. And the price was right.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank withrow
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2009

I have stayed at Vilano Beach Motel, also known as Magic Beach Motel, several times over the last several years and I have no reason to stay anywhere else in the area. Although the building is old and not fancy like the chains, the value is great. I have a family with teenagers and they loved the close proximity to the beach. I enjoy the friendly service given by the staff. They have a can do attitude and go out of their way to make you feel at home. The rooms are clean upon arrival and if you need to spruce up during your stay you can get fresh linens and cleaning supplies at the office. There is a magical feeling at the motel that you just can't get at a chain. The pool is nice and open 24 hours except for cleaning. This home away from home appeals to families as well as singles and everyone is welcome, even with your pet. I have brought several family members here from the elderly to the very young and we all enjoyed it. Some snobby people will not like it because it is an old building, doesn't have central heat and air or breakfast in the lobby and you won't be spending half of your budget on a room. I have read some of the reviews here and those who didn't like it need to go to one of those H chains that guarantee everything is perfect or your money back. If you have questions, ask to see a room- you will be pleasantly suprised because they are clean, comfortable and quaintly decorated with each room being different. There are people like me who return and ask for their favorite rooms or reserve them ahead of time, some for a few days, a week, or a season. There are a few excellent restaurants nearby and also a convenience store.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank dixiebeachbabe
Central Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2008

I love vintage properties and have reasonable expectations, knowing (in fact, hoping) that it will not be like staying at a modern or traditional hotel. My own vintage apartment is a little run down, but that's part of its charm, so I'm usually not one to complain.

Unfortunately, the Vilano Beach Motel demonstrates that there's a big difference between shabby and dirty. It's possible to run a hotel that's old but full of character, while keeping it safe from decline. I think a lot of vintage motels suffer the same problem: most of the public consider these places outdated or an eye sore (not me!), so when the tourist traffic slows down, the proprietors are forced to change their strategy. The motels become long-term/residential properties, often populated by transient people and/or those who don't care about living conditions and what they leave for future tenants or guests. (A big problem for Route 66 era motels, for example.) Vilano Beach Motel appears to have fallen hard to this trend.

Furniture was very obviously broken in my hotel room; there were live cockroaches as well as dead ones (why hadn't anyone removed them?); the bed linens were stained; the carpet was sticky and black with dirt; elements of the motel grounds were in disrepair (like the water damaged wooden staircase); permanent residents loitered outside, many with their doors wide open, TVs blaring.

I was really excited to come stay here, but years later, I still remember the disappointment and discomfort I felt. Like I said, my expectations are tempered by the fact that I value character over condition, so I'm usually very forgiving. I like a place that's rough around the edges, but this was too much. That's just my opinion - the facts are listed in the paragraph above.

Reviews are so mixed here, maybe the room quality varies. My advice would be, if you're interested in staying at the Vilano Beach Motel, take a look at the property and then ask to see your room before you pay. That's the best way to approach it.

• Stayed April 2006
    • Check in / front desk
5 Thank hsemple82
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2008

My 14 year old daughter, her friend and I spent the last two days of their spring break at this motel. I had smirked at its flamingo and rabbit decor for years when I stayed at another local motel which is beachfront but whose prices continually increase. I asked the girls if they would prefer one night at the previously noted hotel or two nights at one which was not directly on the beach and which, I assumed, was not nearly as nice. They chose the two night stay, and we couldn't have been happier! The room was lovely, very clean, bright and cheerful. The owners were kind and generous. The ocean could be viewed from the parking lot and you could throw a softball from our front door and hit the sand on the beach (if you had a good arm!) This has to be one of the best values that can be had at a Florida ocean.

That being said, if you expect plush accommodations with pillow top beds and will complain about anything less, pay double or triple this price and then feel free to be negative! I recently was treated to a plush room for two days at Hammock Beach, where our 'ocean view' was obstructed by the construction of bleachers for a golf tournament and our room was located above the golf cart shed. We were awakened daily at dawn and could not enjoy our balcony because of the constant yelling of the attendants and the golfers and the hammering of bleacher construction. You could touch hands with neighbors on the balconies on either side. This room cost 3X the price we paid at Magic Beach and my disappointment was hard to ignore.

Magic Beach Motel, instead, so far exceeded my expectations that it felt, well, magical! (And there weren't any roaches, by the way.)

• Liked — The price, proximity to the ocean
  • Disliked — Nothing- considering the price.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank FlBeachlover10
Orlando
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2008

There were several good recommendations for a "retro" 50's style Florida Motel on the beach on this site. The ones who rated it as horrible were the truthful ones! This place is a tiny dump that feigns as retro. It has just never been updated with modern plumling and accomodations!!

Stayed April 2008
Ascend Collection Castillo Real
Ascend Collection Castillo Real
#2 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach
BEST WESTERN St. Augustine Beach Inn
BEST WESTERN St. Augustine Beach...
#3 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach
Ocean Sands Beach Inn
Ocean Sands Beach Inn
#4 of 5 in Vilano Beach

Been to Magic Beach Motel? Share your experiences!