“Be careful...they will nickel and dime you behind your back”

Hampton Inn & Suites St. Augustine - Vilano Beach
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Vilano Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 30, 2010

The hotel is clean, spacious, and in a great location. The amenities are nice and the pool is huge, but take a good look at your invoice upon checkout.

When I checked in, the lady at the front desk took my AAA card and gave me the discount (10%). She then printed out an invoice and circled my room rate....it was significantly lower than the rate given to me when I made my reservation (more than 10%); but I was delighted to see the savings and went along with it. Little did I know that they were not at capacity that night and gave me the Market rate which was lower than the original reservation rate. What they failed to mention to me was that the rest of my stay would also be booked at market rate, during which they were at capacity and my room rates sky rocketed. When I got home, I made the necessary calculations (I'm an accountant) and found that I would have saved about $20 if the hotel would have just given me the original rate when I made the reservation (including the AAA discount). I know that in the grand scheme of things this is not a lot of money, but I think that it is the obligation of the hotel to work invoices out in ways to benefit their customers, not themselves.

Anyway I called the hotel the next day and spoke with Bill or Bob (I can't remember) who was all BUT helpful. He sounded rather condescending and irritated. He seemed rather put off by my questioning of their billing and I eventually convinced him to calculate the orginal room rates and discounts. I think he was rather surprised that they were, in fact, ripping me off. Maybe he shouldn't be so sure of himself next time.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Megaketler38
Write a ReviewReviews (1,553)

Reviewed June 29, 2010

Last week (June 2010) we conducted a team meeting at the Hampton Inn on Vilano Beach made up of Aerospace Govt. Employees and Civilian Contractors. This hotel exceeded all of our expectations in every way. We made all of our lodging and meeting room arrangements with Tina at the on-site Hampton Sales Office. She made it so easy and our meeting was a total success. The rooms were very nice, clean and well appointed. Comfortable beds with free Wi Fi, micro wave, coffee service and fridge. Breakfast was complimentary and was not continental at all. It was omelets, French toast, sausage, hot biscuits and something different every day. Hot chocolate and coffee 24/7 and cookies every afternoon at 3!! Our meeting room was set up exactly per our specifications and secured during our lunches and in the evenings. We enjoyed some great local seafood at Aunt Kate’s, Caps, and Toucan Terry’s. The beach was a 45 second walk away. Nice pool and hot tub. The staff behind the desk were very helpful with dinner recommendations and directions. We had zero complaints from our team members. That was a first. I highly recommend Tina and her staff…we’ll be back for sure.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 28, 2010

Very clean. Excellent free breakfast with hot and cold options. Larger sized room. Very near to the beach and drive on access. Not far from downtown St. Augustine and St. George street parking. Relaxing, shallow pool for young children.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 23, 2010

This was a great hotel for a St.Augustine vacation. We had the best of both worlds the pool/beach.The kids had a blast. Everyone was great, the staff was so friendly and breakfast was perfect especially with our size family (9 of us). The rooms were very clean and the beds were so comfy.... Could not beat the price. We will stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 7, 2010

My wife and I stayed here when we visited St. Augustine for our friends' wedding in Sept. 2009. We stayed in a first floor suite that looked out on the sand dunes-across the street was beach access, and the beach was wonderful!

The breakfast there was one of the better continental breakfasts we've seen, but Hampton has always done well in that area. This hotel is far enough away from downtown to enjoy a beachfront getaway, but close enough to jet over for dinner or drinks. Great find!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 25, 2010

My wife and I chose the Hampton Inn Villano Beach as the hotel for our friends, family, and ourselves, to stay at during our wedding last week. From arrival thru departure the hotel was warm, welcoming, clean, and well maintained. The staff are very friendly, the location is quiet yet close to the tourist area, and the facilities are excellent. The room with the double jacuzzi is an excellent upgrade. We will certainly be staying at this location again on our next visit to St Augustine.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 10, 2010

We stayed there one night in late April on the way to Disney, and I have to second the comment made by a recent reviewer, who called it the best Hampton that they had ever stayed in. We had a huge room overlooking the ocean (with a balcony too), and it cost less than $140 per night with the AAA rate. The place is almost new and the lobby and pool area are very beautiful. Also, as noted elsewhere, the staff is very helpful. The free breakfast was also the best I have ever encountered at a Hampton. The typical Hampton breakfast is crappy food served in a cramped room. This hotel had a wide selection of items in a large and beautiful room. The person manning the breakfast area, Reg, was very nice and very helpful. When I complained about the lack of cherry danish, he looked for a few minutes until he found some, and then thawed them out for me. In fact, I think this was the only complimentary breakfast I have encounted where almost everyone left a tip.

In the interest of fairness, I must mention a few flaws. Our room (336) had a peeling bathtub which spoiled the beauty of the bathroom, and should be replaced. Also, the pillows were all too soft - they need to get some pillows with more support. Finally, many of the properties around the hotel are run down, and there are not many restaurants that are all that close. Nevertheless, it is an unbelievable bargain, and I would stay there again in a minute when I return to St. Augustine.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilano Beach
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St. Augustine Historic District
2 mi away
Southern Oaks Inn
Southern Oaks Inn
#10 of 78 in St. Augustine
Hilton Garden Inn St. Augustine Beach
Hilton Garden Inn St. Augustine ...
#5 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach
Hilton St. Augustine Historic Bayfront
Hampton Inn St. Augustine-Historic District
Casa Monica Resort & Spa, Autograph Collection

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites St. Augustine - Vilano Beach? Share your experiences!